Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
I guess we are making this the primary thread.

FAQ to be edited into post 1 or 2

Q: What are Dancing Stars for?
A: After completing a quest at night from the Community Center in Uptown, you can change your Yo-Kai victory poses by using the stars.

Q: What do books do?
A: Most books change Yo-Kai attitudes. There are two axes: attack type and dedication. Most books, such as Think Karate, change attack type- that is, they make Yo-Kai choose different offensive actions. This also changes what stats are boosted on level up. The book that changes attitude is called A Serious Life. This will make Yo-Kai less likely to do nothing when it gets to their turn. There are also three books that boost your ability levels: Hidden Hits, Top Techniques, and Soul Secrets. This raises the base power of the attacks your Yo-Kai use- they also go up through frequent battles, so these books aren't as useful as the others.

Q: How do I use these coins I keep picking up?
A: In the woods north of Uptown, past the shrine, there is a Yo-Kai dispenser that you can feed coins into three times per day. The color of the coin determines the type of Yo-Kai you get- the descriptor in the first sentence of the description tells you what category you will get.

Q: Why is it so tough to find good Yo-Kai?
A: You may not have your watch upgraded high enough to find the Yo-Kai you want. You upgrade it by visiting the watchmaker in the Hills section of the city. If you still aren't running into the Yo-Kai you want, you are probably either in the wrong place or there at the wrong time of day. Some Yo-Kai are day/night exclusive. You can change the time of day by going to your bedroom after you progress to the right point in the story. Most Yo-Kai will always be encountered at the same place or set of places, so it shouldn't be hard to find them again once you've found them once. For example, every E-rank encounter in the trees in the Mount Wildwood/Shrine area will be a Buhu, and every D-rank encounter in the trees in the same spots will be either Enefly or Enerfly depending on the time of day.

Q: I've fought this Yo-Kai dozens of times and it still won't join me! What am I doing wrong?
A: There are two things you can do to increase your odds. The first thing is add a Popular party member to your team. You gain access to them after you get access to the business district- check the trees along academy row for a D-rank encounter. The second thing is to feed the Yo-Kai food that they like. Most of their preferences make sense based on their design- Fancy/Frenchy enemies like bread, demons like Chinese food, and most water encounters like fish, except for the fish, which like meat. Butterflies and water blobs like liquids. If you try a few things and nothing seems to be working, it's probably ramen.

Q: Where do I buy food?
A: Most of the food stores are in a shopping complex in the bottom left section of the map. You unlock this area after you help your dad with business.
Fish: Uptown, bottom right
Bread: Uptown, bottom left, Banter Bakery
Chinese Food: Shopping District, in the mall
Ramen: Shopping District, in the mall
Meat: Shopping District, in the mall
Vegetables: Shopping District, in the mall
Candy: Hills, top right, Gramma Edna's
Milk: Hills, middle right, Hot Springs
Burgers: Business District, center
Soda: Vending Machines all over town

Q: How do I get better Yo-Kai?
A: There are several ways. Some Yo-Kai evolve once they hit a certain level into higher-ranked Yo-Kai. This is only true for 10-15 of them though, so mostly you'll just catch better ones as you advance through the game. Some Yo-Kai evolve through fusion, either with another Yo-Kai or with an item. You unlock the quest to unlock fusion after you finish the first chapter, and can immediately get some powerful Yo-Kai if you experiment a little. This is an important way to get a lot of the S-rank Yo-Kai later in the game, but the items and Yo-Kai you need to fuse to get them are very difficult to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Jetfire posted:

Is anyone else having a hell of a time finding literally anything because of the loving useless map?

It's pretty bad at first, but you visit the same areas repeatedly if you do the sidequests so it gets pretty intuitive. Definitely wish that you could see the names of areas without having to actually go there.

Not sure if anyone else is far enough yet to answer this question but there's a rank A or B thing that I am having a really tough time with. In the abandoned tunnel area, after you fix the mine cart by the entrance, what the hell are you supposed to do to beat the boss? I maybe was a bit underleveled or underprepared, but I can tell there is some sort of strategy with targeting the flames and I just can't figure out what I'm supposed to be looking for.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Fixed.

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 9, 2015

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Alxprit posted:

If you've fought the Son of Sun in Chrono Trigger, it's like that. One of the five flames is "correct", and the other four will instigate counterattacks. I believe attacking those flames is the only way to keep him from preparing his Soultimate move. Unlike Son of Sun, brute force is a viable option if you have the healing for the Soultimate.

I put some of your info into the OP. A lot of what you said was already in there though.

I ended up beating him by alternating between defensive dudes that were nearly immune to fire and my Appak with boosted Waterfall. Even after targeting the right wisps for several hundred damage it didn't stop him from using his ultimate, so I guess I was doing something wrong

Unrelatedly, where the hell is Draggie? I have just about every other E and D rank, but I still haven't found it and I'm getting pissed.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Nuebot posted:

Anyway, are there any resources for the weekly passwords? You can earn like three parts of it a day or something so they expect you to collaborate with other people. I haven't even found any of the criminals you have to catch for it.

Not sure if it's the same for everyone, but assuming it is... This week goes until 11/15 and you'll be chasing after Nogo, a fake Noko. I saw him in the top right corner of the top right map, but I haven't seen him since

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

bog pixie posted:

Also, I was down on the beach and ran into a yokai named Nogo. You have to chase him like Noko but when you catch him all he does is tells you how he replaced all the erasers in the city with imposters. I don't understand what happened.

That's the criminal Yo-Kai for the week. If you catch him twice more, you will get part of a password.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Flynn Taggart posted:

I really like the wall monster but I can't really get him to be useful. :(

If you want that sort of monster to be useful, you can use it in conjunction with Yo-Kai that increase the likelihood of targeting- most of the Yo-Kai that increase friendship rates have that as their inspirit, so you'll have one in the party anyway. Even if not, the defensive ones are nice when you face a boss that has a big, scary attack that you don't want your offensive dudes trying to take

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

enojy posted:

"Want" has been upgraded to "need." I'm guessing fusion is unlocked as you progress far enough in the story? I just beat the big face boss with my watch at C-rank and don't think I'm all that far yet.

You're already past it. You just need to go to the farthest west point you can reach

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
There are three low-rank Yo-Kai that I have not run into at all the entire game. I'm just starting the post-game content and it's really nagging me that I missed them.

Hungramps, Lodo, and Gush.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Inflammatory posted:

yeah the only actual fusions for jibanyan are with roughraff and coughkoff. i dunno where you get the robot ones.

Robonyan can be found in the construction site as a search encounter. Gold Robonyan I think you actually do need to get from the machine

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Ugh, Crank-A-Kai has been just awful the past two days. I got three items and no yo-kai yesterday, then today I got an item off a 5-star coin, a rank-C yo-kai off an exciting coin, and another items off a pink coin.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Nuebot posted:

I'm trying to get this noko to drop its fusion item. My team is going to be way over levelled by the time it happens. I've managed to evolve most of the level evolving yokai during this time except for Komajiro, who I'm working on now, and Komasan, Droplette and Walkappa who I don't have yet. And Roughraff who I fused with my Jibanyan and haven't bothered to replace yet :shepface: my shmoopie is level 30 and basically just full heals anyone if they're slightly hurt while Baddinyan deals over a hundred damage a punch.

There are Yo-Kai that increase drop rate, so if you are looking for that item you should find one of those Yo-Kai first.

There's probably more than one, but the most common on is Wantston

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 12, 2015

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Nuebot posted:

I've been using wantson. My luck is just whack, I've gotten like five nokos to join me though.

EDIT: I got "Hidden Hits" from my five star coin and a silver doll from my excitement coin. This loving game :negative:.

I think I got literally the same two things. Suffering buddies! :shepicide:

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Alxprit posted:

I got the loving Kyubi palette swap from the crank machine, Frostail...
...why level 1, why...

Honestly, it's really easy to level things really fast in the post-game. clearing the infinite inferno takes like 30 minutes and every boss gives gobs of experience. You get a bunch of easy Terror Times too

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Neeksy posted:

I really wish there was a better list of yokai locations, as well as the spawning locations for the rare location-based ones. Usually you can find an entrance/exit to come in and out of to see if it's there, but figuring out which one is the hard part.

Someone posted the prima guide maps somewhere on reddit, if you already know more or less where you are looking you can get a good idea of where you need to be specifically. What ones specifically are you having trouble with?

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

enojy posted:

I did that stuff, and it was the biggest slog I undertook in the game to date. I dunno if all three items have the same drop rate or not, but one of them is from Mama Aura in Infinite Inferno, and that was like four hours worth of climbing up and down a ladder to get her stupid fat rare rear end to spawn, and then praying she dropped the god drat GOLDEN loving TOFU THANK GOD IM OUTTA HERE

I've been deliberately waiting because I want to soft-reset for good stats at some point, and I ended up with the tofu by accident before I even knew what it was for haha

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't have any revive items as the only way to get them as far as I know is the Jungle Hunter thing and he seems just kind of unfair.

You can also get them from the not-abandoned hospital at night.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Was running around with a kinda trash party and got caught in terror time by the blue oni. I got trapped by a "you can't go this way" message I wasn't expecting and got thrust into a fight with it and somehow won.

The team as a level 49 Sheen, 74 Shogunyan, 70 Auntie Aura, 20 bloomineko, 30 Casunuva, and 48 Reunknight or whatever. Reeeally don't feel like I should of won that.

Edit: One chest had a item called Venoct Aura, it's not in my items though at all?

The blue one actually isn't bad, so long as something on your team resists water enough to make waterfall moot or has the crazy high physical defense to disregard the regular attacks. All the oni are sort of like that since the regular attacks are single-target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ah well, I felt happy enough with it as my team was just a mangle of whatever :v:

Trying to at least get the legendary pages or at least some of them and noticed I needed one of the castle dudes. I had a 3 and a 2 so figured I'd just go get a 3 and fuse it up to 1 and then do whatever is needed from there. While grinding out a second 3 I found a robot cat and I want it :allears:

Is there a fast way to leave/re-enter to get the radar to blip? It just happened while I was climbing to the 3rd floor but it feels kinda slow.

It's actually pretty common as an encounter, it appears in every searchable spot in the area, so you can change scenes any way you want to get it to appear

• Locked thread