Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I keep thinking about how Pandora, as a planet, is a goddamn money sink and nobody who goes there ever really leaves alive. Dahl came in first with a million prisoners as slave labor and had to pull out when things got too rough, then Atlas came in and tried to gently caress things up and got gutted, and even after Handsome Jack's death, Hyperion's still got its most expensive super-satellite hovering over the planet with nobody willing to leave due to how much loot is still there. They're ALL doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It's been awhile since I played the game so I can't remember: do we get any good views of the sky during the present day segments? I imagine Helios missing would stand out if we did.

This takes place after Borderlands 2 and everything else so Helios is still up in all versions of those games.

It's weird that Telltale was allowed to be the ones to make the game that destroys Helios. Amazing, though. That thing was such a fixture in the setting.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fake Jack is unaccounted for. If he's stuck looking like Jack he's probably laying low.

He had some of the coolest skills, I swear. Compound Interest made enemies explode if you shot them with two different weapons, another skill buffed his attack for every bit of money he picked up, he had a grenade spam skill that have him free grenades....

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fiona's action skill is totally her elemental derringer. Time slows down and you can take just one very powerful shot. Passive skills include money healing you.

Gaige in a Tales of Borderland game could be really funny. I imagine how to depict her using Anarchy mode is her robot arm starts glowing red and supercharging her bullets, but it also starts shaking like a paint mixer.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Went back through some of the earlier episodes of this LP I missed. I love your introduction to Shade. "He's really loving weird!"

Shade was one of my favorite NPCs. That said, what the gently caress was he doing "sleeping" in his own display case? Clearly, he was not in the least bit insane.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Also I liked the voice of broken Helios Jack. Nice touch.

Sadly contemplative.... and then just for fuckin' spite, he decides to be evil anyway and kill Rhys! What a dick to the end.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, Telltale's writing hasn't been this good or this on-the-edge-of-my-seat since Walking Dead Season One.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Your scenario where the Borderlands 2 Vault Hunters are gearing up to destroy Helios only to find out that a mere Hyperion employee destroyed it himself while they were busy would be too, too funny.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

So you talking about Helios being destroyed being a big deal made me realize why the episode 5 opening didn't resonate with me as much as the others. Thinking back on it, I should have realized it was a big deal, but this was my first Borderlands game, so I didn't know the full impact of what was going on.

Yeah, in BL2, Helios is definitely a big deal. You *always* see it hanging over you in the sky, and it often shoots down armies of Loader Bots at you, which are significantly tougher to deal with than bandits. In the Pre-Sequel it's an even bigger deal, as that takes place on the moon, and Helios looms large in the sky, plus Helios got commandeered by Dahl soldiers who are using its Death Star-like laser to shoot at the moon periodically. That thing has always been hanging over you like the Sword of Damocles in every game but the first, so its destruction is a big deal.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crasical posted:

So I was writing a thing disputing that Loader Bots are all that much tougher than bandits as long as you can get your hands on an acid gun because they never take cover and some of the bandit variants are just as bullet-spongy, but I'm probably not even halfway through B2 and haven't seen half the Loader varieties yet so I really have no room to talk, so instead I'll ask a question:

Is it just me or is sniping WAY harder in B2 than in the TPS? It feels like the latter game is massively more forgiving with enemy head hitboxes and incentivises headshots more by having them break OZ kits.

Well, Loader Bots are supposed to be tougher than bandits since they're introduced in a mission where they attack a bandit base right in the middle of your infiltration, and they slaughter the bandits. Plus, yes, some later-model Loaders are a lot harder to deal with, like Badass ones with six cannons on their arms, propeller-armed ones that deflect your shots with the fan blades in front of them, shield loaders that make a shield around themselves and others that electrocutes you if you get close, EXPloaders that rush you and blow up, transforming Loaders that turn into bulldozers or flying jets...

And for some bizarre reason, Junk Loaders made of junk and car chassis hanging out in the nostalgia level.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

Who knows if Zer0 is even a man? Nobody knows anything about him. Dude's got four fingers on each hand. Could be some kind of alien. :stare:

Or a robot, or a mutant...and he's certainly not going to tell anyone who he is.

One of the last DLCs for Borderlands 2 had him get a "gift" that was a message from an apparent rival. All it said was, " 0 < 1 "

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

So this thread likes Borderlands to some degree and I don't have searches/ know if there's a Borderlands megathread so imma ask here.

Saturday I found myself in a Gamestop and l found Borderlands 2 and The Pre Sequel for real cheap. 5 and 13$ cheap.

I got Borderlands 2 instead of the Pre Sequel and Transformers Devastation.

did i heck up bad?

Nah, those games are cool. Good prices for them too, though BL2 has a shitload of DLC that may not be included with that. Extra character classes and three times as much game content as it already has in the base game, stuff like that. Shade, in Tales From the Borderlands's first episode, was BL2 DLC (he was in Captain Scarlet).

Borderlands 1 is the only game of the series I didn't really like so far. It had a really...SEDATE pace to it, and the character abilities weren't as interesting as in later installments.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

BL2 also has much more varied level design, since it's not on the moon. I loved all its environments.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I wonder if jailbreaking him in Episode 1 helped unshackle his AI. Before that he was unable to do anything without commands, after that he takes initiatives, starting with helping Rhys and Vaughn over the fence unasked.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Skill points may be non-canon for every other Vault Hunter but I bet they're real for Gaige. She name-drops a whole bunch of them in her ECHO casts; apparently they're the names of the battle programs she and her robot are running. And she's the kind of dork who would call her own battle programs "skill points."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I want to see if Tediore shows up in future installments. Their corporate branding emphasises cheap, family-friendly products with a smiling mascot called Mrs. Tediore. They're the Wal-Mart of outer space.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heh, reminds me of how Dopple-Jack's ultimate right-hand skill was something that let him alter the properties of weapons based on which ones he swapped from and their brands. Swap from a Hyperion weapon, new one has better aim. Swap from a Torgue, new one has explosive damage. Swap from a Maliwan, new one shoots additional elemental stuff. And so on. Complicated and interesting.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rocket launchers are really handy as Krieg if you have the ability that gives you health for overkilling enemies. Blow 'em up with a rocket launcher, free health! He doesn't have a lot of health recovery mechanics that don't also involve putting him in danger (lighting himself/others on fire, going berserk with his action skill) so it's nice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

I get the sentiment that most people don't like claptrap! that's fine, but I do want to assure you guys that you KNOW if I gave you the choice to pick a replacement team member the mystery vault hunter would have won. don't deny it. look deep down in your hearts and remember the scooter special.

also allow me to remind you guys again there will be a bonus video!! I explicitly chose to do this because I was sure most people would dislike the mystery hunter ;)

Claptrap was fun as hell to play as in the Pre-Sequel. He had an EXPLOOOSIONS tree, a healing tree that doubled as a good way to make enemies take status damage, and a very unpredictable Fragmented Fragtrap tree that forced you to constantly vary your playstyle, which kept things from being stale. And all three of his trees had skills that buffed his Fight For Your Life mode so he was a very good character to play solo as.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

He also had some incredibly powerful team buffs that got more powerful the bigger your team was, so he was a great character to play with friends. He was just a really fantastic character all around, The Pre-Sequel was such a good game.

Yeah. And the ultimate middle tree skill was "Hi Five, Guys!" If someone else gives you a high five, you both get massively buffed and healed. If they leave you hanging, Clappy gets buffed (but not as completely and not as long).

Apparently enemies hitting Claptrap with a melee attack also counts for Hi Five, Guys. Hahahahaha.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crasical posted:

...I think I recognize that huge alien skull that the bandit buggy drives past during the 'recruiting Zero' thing. I feel like I've driven past it once or twice.

I wonder if that's an actual location from a game that they're referencing or if it's just a recognizable prop they re-used.

Giant alien skulls show up a lot in the games.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Blake has a few off-screen cameos in Borderlands 2; on occasion Jack will yell at him to fetch him something like a violin. Blake also warned T.K. Baha (one early questgiver for BL1) about assassins that were coming to get him so he could flee to Pandora and was a quest-giver in the Claptrap Robot Revolution. Unlike everyone else at Hyperion, he didn't actually screw you over. I'd hesitate to call him good but at least he's not an rear end in a top hat like Jack.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Must be a pretty drat good pistol to shoot through a diamond horse though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They interrogated Tannis by killing her favorite chair!

• Locked thread