Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Donald Trump
Ben Carson
Marco Rubio
Ted Cruz
Jeb! Bush
Carly Fiorina
John Kasich
Rand Paul
Chris Christie
Mike Huckabee
Bobby Jindal
Rick Santorum
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Yeah, Rand managed to get a very lucky strike in there but otherwise there's nothing for him here. I don't even think his poll numbers will rise, but he'll likely stay stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I missed this thing and honestly can't tell from the recaps whether it'd be worth watching in whole.

Was the first debate any good? Did Christie get a second bite at it at all?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fix posted:

I missed this thing and honestly can't tell from the recaps whether it'd be worth watching in whole.

Was the first debate any good? Did Christie get a second bite at it at all?

I'd avoid it unless you want to condition yourself to say, "Shut up Carly shut up Carly oh god kill me" every time you hear a bell for the rest of your life

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
carly was in the second debate

christie and santorum were the first debate and you didn't miss much

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Third World Reggin posted:

carly was in the second debate

christie and santorum were the first debate and you didn't miss much

Ol' Frothy did have a bit of a freakout, though. That was amusing if you can find the clip.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First Democratic debate:

Canadian Election:

Republican CNBC debate:

Last night:

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not demonstrating any point there, just sharing some graphs. It does look like last night's debate wasn't as interesting as the others to this forum though.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Ralp posted:

I'm not demonstrating any point there, just sharing some graphs. It does look like last night's debate wasn't as interesting as the others to this forum though.

The only thing still interesting to us at this point is seeing the moderators themselves handle things and if Jeb/Trump will do anything new

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
empress fiorina wants war

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Did any of these people look even vaguely presidential?

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Warcabbit posted:

Rubio tried, at least

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Warcabbit posted:

Jeb still looks like his brother and his father, if that's what you mean.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Honestly Jeb still looks the most presidential and yeah maybe it's because he looks like his dad and bro. Without a doubt he would at least look the part when faced against a democrat, it's just unfortunate for him that being the biggest clown possible is an asset in the GOP primary.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deep Hurting posted:

Yeah, Cruz is one of those pathetic, sniveling toadies common to late '80s/early '90s cartoons or action shows for children.

Ted Cruz: Basically Starscream.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Best part of the debate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRTl230M4X8

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Wetfartscream

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

He'll get brutally owned the minute he tries to lash out against Trumpatron so this comparison checks out

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Also: really annoyed that I can't find any clips that include the commercial music being played immediately afterwards and the moderator being all like, "Nah, i'ma let him finish".

Second best part of the debate.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Cruz pulled a loving Perry and nobody noticed/cares. The hugbox is real.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Trump's I LIKE IKE and something about moving a large group of native americans ?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Humans Among Us posted:

Trump's I LIKE IKE and something about moving a large group of native americans ?

He longed for the halcyon days of OPERATION WETBACK :stare:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Logikv9 posted:

Cruz pulled a loving Perry and nobody noticed/cares. The hugbox is real.

People keep saying this I must have missed this. What happened?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Necc0 posted:

He listed five government departments he was gonna cut and named the Department of Commerce twice.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Necc0 posted:

He listed 5 government agencies he would shut down, and two of them were the Department of Commerce.

E;fb

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
You gonna try to pull a double-Perry you best not miss.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Okay so I used to totally scoff at republicans when they would suggest "MAKE THIS LAW 3 PAGES OR NO ONE WILL READ IT. NOTHING CAN BE READ IF ITW MOR THAN 5 pages MY WMTITEE TAX PLAN IS FIVE-FIVE-FIVE 5 inch pizza with 5 toppings for 5 dollars"

I seriously thought this was an "I don't like to read" argument appealing to the illiterate masses but last night's debate made me think of it differently

They argued that an overly complex tax code hurts small businesses because large corporations can afford teams of lawyers to get by it while small businesses just have to accept it.

This is actually a good argument but if they really wanted to help small businesses and tax large corporate tax cheaters wouldn't it be easier to just write bills that specifically target large mega corporations? Like have higher taxes or higher minimum wage for companies with thousands of employees and hundreds of millions of profit, while leaving low taxes and lower minimum wage for small businesses?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Cruz alternately looks great or terrible in the debates, and yesterday was no different from the others. Last debate he got out a few great lines, but other times you could really see him sweat as he verged away from scripted talking points into nonsensical blabber.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Eh, the thing with Cruz is that he named it second and fifth, so he smoothly covered over the duplication--it wasn't a halting "uh..um....oops"--and no one pays that close attention to the individual tones when a wet fart is ripping. It's only when you think back on it that you realize the error, and then it's too late; the moment's passed.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Commie NedFlanders posted:

This is actually a good argument but if they really wanted to help small businesses and tax large corporate tax cheaters wouldn't it be easier to just write bills that specifically target large mega corporations? Like have higher taxes or higher minimum wage for companies with thousands of employees and hundreds of millions of profit, while leaving low taxes and lower minimum wage for small businesses?

Lower regulations and simpler taxes = almost always better for small, mom and pop businesses. Has to be balanced with the potential budgetary/social/environmental damage that eliminating regulations and lower taxes carry with them

Targeted taxes are really, really hard to make work. What's the cutoff? How do you decide? Senators/Reps from whatever state happens to have a lot of companies JUST above the cutoff will go nuts. Companies can actually be financially better off by staying smaller, even if you try to use some sort of linear scaling tax, since they can hire fewer attorneys, accountants, etc, and it incentivizes gaming the system by splitting up businesses or entities, increasing waste/inefficiency. Also I don't think the right would say having lots and lots of tiny companies is strictly better - they're less profitable and productive and can't raise capital as easily as big cos, and gdp suffers.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Baloogan posted:

empress fiorina wants war

Secretariat.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Gentlemen we have a winner http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2015/11/11/donald-trump-marco-rubio-won-gop-debate-poll-finds/

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Okay so I used to totally scoff at republicans when they would suggest "MAKE THIS LAW 3 PAGES OR NO ONE WILL READ IT. NOTHING CAN BE READ IF ITW MOR THAN 5 pages MY WMTITEE TAX PLAN IS FIVE-FIVE-FIVE 5 inch pizza with 5 toppings for 5 dollars"

I seriously thought this was an "I don't like to read" argument appealing to the illiterate masses but last night's debate made me think of it differently

They argued that an overly complex tax code hurts small businesses because large corporations can afford teams of lawyers to get by it while small businesses just have to accept it.

You're thinking about this way too hard. None of these "ideas" are meant to address problems whatsoever. They are just bait to appeal to voters. The very definition of "red meat." None of them are realistic and none of them would be implemented, even in a nightmare scenario of a Cruz landslide victory.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
By the way did anyone else lookup that lawsuit the Huckster was talking about Loving v. Commissioner? Turns out the lawsuit was about should paid tax preparers have to have some type of certification and responsibility for errors the courts said no. So the plaintiff wasn't being burdened by regulation, she just didn't want to have to be responsible when she or her employees gently caress up someones taxes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kasich just cannot get above Jeb "Possibly Mistaken for another Podium" Bush, it must be utterly maddening for him. :xd:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Jerusalem posted:

Kasich just cannot get above Jeb "Possibly Mistaken for another Podium" Bush, it must be utterly maddening for him. :xd:

His moments of lucidity are costing him big in the polls

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Kasich says some relatively reasonable things all things considered, but the trouble is that he delivers them with the absurd mannerisms of a homeless person arguing with a light pole while swatting at invisible bats.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MrAristocrates posted:

He listed five government departments he was gonna cut and named the Department of Commerce twice.

Someone needs to make a youtube clip of this and hopefully it can go viral.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Republican primary voters in the survey gave Mr. Trump top marks for a number of qualities. He came in first when respondents were asked which candidate was best able to handle the job of president, which candidate best understands the problems facing “people like you,’’ and who would be best able to improve the economy and keep the U.S. safe from terrorism.

holy poo poo republicanism is a mental disorder

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Trump understands that our wages are too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

that survey also says being the adult in the room also went over about as well as pooping on the floor would have in getting support from republicans

perhaps worse

• Locked thread