Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird

by zen death robot
it's really hosed up how the normal way to draw maps is like you're in space looking at the earth when all of the people writing them spend most of their time on the earth looking into space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

I've been painting blue lines into the earth everywhere there's a state boundary drawn on the map. I'm 6/50ths done :cool:

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
If you zoom out far enough on google earth it will add a realistic sun effect and show which parts of the earth are currently experiencing daytime. Also it adds stars to the background and if you pan over to the part of the earth in night time you can see the sun.

weird

by zen death robot
at first it was good enough just to draw the earth and where things were, but then it got to the point where everyone could do it so if you wanted to be a respected cartographer you had to show off some how, i know geography so well i can draw it backwards

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

Peter, Robinson, Goode, and Homolosine in one room... hoo boy couldn't pay me to be there when that one goes off

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
I would like to see a map of the earth from the perspective of the earth's core

fema crisis actor

bweee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo
countries are always named after the first person to draw a map of it, like amerigo vespucci drew the first map of america, bob mexiconti drew the first map of mexico, etc

you can't even get into map drawing school unless you have a cool name

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
Tony Papua New Guinea must have been a cool dude.

Lil Cunty

topographic maps are done by apprentice cartographers. once they learn how to sand the maps down to a smooth finish they are promoted to journeyman cartographer

ty crap

ty landy

Lil Cunty

they're called journeymen bc they have to travel the earth, smoothing dowm all the hills and filling in the canyons so that the land matches the maps they're making

ty crap

ty landy

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
early maps are proof that aliens exist

I learned this from the history channel

treasure bear

Luvcow posted:

early maps are proof that aliens exist

I learned this from the history channel

all these maps are drawn from really high up, how did they get up there huh?

alnilam

Lil Cunty posted:

they're called journeymen bc they have to travel the earth, smoothing dowm all the hills and filling in the canyons so that the land matches the maps they're making

pig slut lisa

irl is good

Lil Cunty posted:

topographic maps are done by apprentice cartographers. once they learn how to sand the maps down to a smooth finish they are promoted to journeyman cartographer

Lil Cunty posted:

fema crisis actor

bweee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo
When I'm running late I set my Google maps navigator for walking, but I drive so I feel early

Weekend Bridges

by Smythe
Back in the '60s, during the Map Race with the Soviets, the US tried to enact in secret a charcoal rubbing of the entire Earth, but ol' Ivan used a space laser invented to give a perfect topography map to burn the paper whenever the gov't tried to make a rubbing.

----------------

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIIxlgcuQRU

weird

by zen death robot
the man in the moon was originally a story that cartographers told their children about a man who wanted to map so badly, but the earth is already mapped, so he became his own moon to map himself, giving up all his friends and family and leaving earth behind to do so, and about how you should always balance work and life, but all the meaning got lost when we appropriated it

----------------

Lil Cunty

cartographers used early maps as voodoo dolls but for the world. "here there be monsters" was less a warning and more just cartographers cursing the ocean, their natural enemy

ty crap

ty landy

google THIS

it looks like I'm doing a bunch of cool measurements and calculations with this map but I'm really just trying to pick it up with chopsticks

Schmeichy

2spooky4u

Manifisto

I ordered a 1:1 scale 3D map of the United States from Amazon. They claim it's been delivered but I would have noticed that . . . right??

ty nesamdoom!

ron color
not if its real big

Manifisto

No, I think I would have noticed. Maybe they had a problem getting to my place with this weird new paper-thin paving material they're using everywhere now?

ty nesamdoom!

weird

by zen death robot

google THIS posted:

it looks like I'm doing a bunch of cool measurements and calculations with this map but I'm really just trying to pick it up with chopsticks

----------------

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Rand McNally is on a permanent road trip, calculating distances of cow paths and attempting to redraw interchanges and improvements in cities

or he was, until the Google street view car ran him off the road, stopped, shot him in the head Mexican cartel style, and drove off

Google maps, bitch

ron color
google earth is NOT the real earth

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
i kept trying to tilt my head to be parallel with the plane of the elliptic and then rotate earth but it was kinda difficult because it rotates everything and you keep having to shift your head.

Anyone passing by my office looking at me must have thought "oh, it's wednesday again."

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

treasure bear posted:

all these maps are drawn from really high up, how did they get up there huh?
just grab two points on the ground and squeeze them together

google THIS

back before downloadable maps and GPS's people used to get lost on their way to the map store and vanish in a puff of irony

dogcrash truther

Spanish Manlove posted:

Tony Papua New Guinea must have been a cool dude.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

google THIS posted:

back before downloadable maps and GPS's people used to get lost on their way to the map store and vanish in a puff of irony

platonicbackrub

alnilam posted:

I've been painting blue lines into the earth everywhere there's a state boundary drawn on the map. I'm 6/50ths done :cool:

Thats 3 25ths

Adiabatic

What have you assholes done now?
the earth looks just like google maps from up here tho

Lil Cunty

buttkiss posted:

Thats 3 25ths

drat dude you're a master of simplification

ty crap

ty landy

beer pal

they say pangaea broke up from techtonic shifts or whatever but really it was cartographers blowing it apart so they could be the first one to put out the new map

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

beer pal

the king: i dont care that you threw a really big rock off the coast we're not putting out another drat new map

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Lil Cunty

beer pal posted:

they say pangaea broke up from techtonic shifts or whatever but really it was cartographers blowing it apart so they could be the first one to put out the new map

everybody frets about the masons but it's the cartographers who have really been running the show this whole time. the Masons are just waiting for the next big cartographic event so they can rebuild society

ty crap

ty landy

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I don't trust cartographers, I plot my life's journeys on graph paper like I learned playing dnd as a child, and sometimes just for laughs I put little notations about orcs and dragons and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

google THIS

cartographer: here it is, all finished! the treasure map you commissioned!

me: it looks great!

cartographer: so, what kind of treasure did you bury there?

me: oh, uh, nothing really valuable. really.

cartographer: hmm...

me: (getting nervous) you know, mostly sentimental stuff.

cartographer: ah, probably stuff you'd hate to lose, huh?

me: well, that's not likely, there are a lot of, uh, traps around the treasure. really deadly, nigh undetectable traps. yeah.

cartographer: should I add those to the map?

me: no, listen, you know what? I just remembered somewhere I have to be. (runs out of the store, runs back in a few seconds later) right, the map. I'm going to need- I mean, how much do I owe you?

cartographer: how much do you have?

• Locked thread