Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Knowing Thorsby the shapeshifter is a being that evolved near the Scepter to specifically take advantage of this property to separate its prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

It's ok, they have a security system for that-- if anyone interferes with one of their security systems, it summons a gigantic meteor that impacts the castle and annihilates everything for 100 miles in every direction, throwing up a giant dust cloud that blocks out the sun globally.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

HBar posted:

Once again Klara is the smartest. I wonder if that goblin is going to survive and make its way back up at an unexpected moment.

No, it died and Lyndon-mugger lost his magic

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

god
drat
it

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

smooth, Lyndon

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I guarantee you it is something stupider than “one of them is a traitor”

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Wrong thread

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 14, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

O
W
N
E
D

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

there is absolutely no chance that thorsby doesn't consume huge quantities of psychadelics

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I thought the harm had to be fatal and the Princess died of her head wound, but I need to reread the early comics

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

god drat it Audrey

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Haha that’s brilliant.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

Brain chip ended with the entire world becoming immortal beings living in a post-scarcity utopia under a god who's best interest is making the people happy. That's pretty good for endings

that is not really the message I took away from that story

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

watch skyggemyr start a loving war

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

The really bonkers and terrifying this is that this is explicitly not how it worked before. Last time Trixie touched it, she had a vision of dying from malachite too, but that was instantaneous despite being a long time into the future.

Maybe that’s how the vision-haver always experiences it, but only because the scepter just cuts around the death itself and sends that part. Maybe the rest of it happens every time, but we never saw it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

nothing has ever been going to happen as much as that was going to happen

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's interesting that the stars always vanish on the same day if the Ambassador is looking at "every future" - that suggests different times, which suggests that the stars vanishing might not (entirely?) be related to the time of death and the scepter's universe simulations?

the stars probably vanish shortly before the person having the vision dies, sort of the universe starting to fall apart backwards in time. that happened before the ambassador died and it’s happening now because Lyndon is almost dead

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Rumda posted:

That would require the sceptre to actually have precognitive powers of it could actually tell you when you die why would it need to do a simulation of the universe

because it’s the most thorsby way of doing things? if the scepter is creating a simulation which then disappears when you go back to reality it IS predicting the future, it’s just doing it on an ongoing basis. Remember the visions are actually instant in the “real” world.

I dunno, I could be wrong, but I think the stars going out is a precursor to the vision ending.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Sam Hall posted:

The stars probably disappear the same number of days after the simulation starts as incoming starlight runs out. in Ivar's diary he's describing the results of all the tests he ran on day 197, so of course the starlight runs out on the same day in each sim. The diary hasn't got yet to the tests he ran the next day, which has the stars going out on day 151 of year 784. The simulation Lyndon is currently inhabiting started several months after day 197.

The simulation has been running for like 5 years man

and we know it’s a simulation because of the little yellow dude’s cryptic comments about the bad thing he knows and Lyndon being the most important person on earth

I still say the stars going out mean that things are winding down and Lyndon’s gonna die soon

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the ambassador has the kind of scientific curiosity that would lead him to touch the scepter in a scepter vision, and then make sure to include the information on what happens in his pre-death message, so he knows

Also after doing some timeline math I agree that it only simulates X years (a little bit more than five) of starlight due to limits on its processing power

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

RandomFerret posted:

It doesn't stop simulating anything, it only simulates a five light-year radius of existence. The stars were never there, only the light they were emitting that had already entered that radius. It look five years for the last of those photons to hit earth, so it looked like all the stars vanished at once.

yeah that’s what I meant, five years worth of starlight

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

oh hey there’s tharg kissing a bunch of dudes. better make a mental note of this, might come up later

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

If someone touched the scepter without receiving a vision before you touch it and also don't receive a vision, you're in that person's simulation.

Idea: If two parties know how the scepter works, one can trick the other by pretending not to receive a vision. Though the other party might get their hands on it to confirm, it'll throw off the accuracy of their simulation.

If person A touches the scepter at time 1 and has no vision, it could mean that they’re in someone else’s vision, or it could mean that they just started their own vision

If person B sees person A touch the scepter and claim that they have no vision, then they touch the scepter at time 2 and have no vision, it could mean that they’re in person A’s vision... or it could mean that person C touched the scepter at time 0, unknown to both A and B, and they’re both in that vision.

As long as you have the thing you have to guard it to prevent this kind of confusion.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

BLONK

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

my god, it’s full of yoink

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

NOOO NOOOOO NOOOOOOOOO

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

rereading old comics, Trixie knew the catapult was there because when she snuck into the palace to see zoozo and figure out he was being manipulated, she did so by sneaking away from a tour, and the tour guide pointed out the giant catapult. Thorsby’s ability to set up and pay off jokes like that is unparalleled

Also “Abyssium Women’s Prison For Measly Crimes” is a top five all time sight gag

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i much prefer diabolica having super evil names for no explained reason and the issue never being addressed

also idk if you guys have been reading thorsby but he doesn't really "do" happy endings. hitmen for destiny kind of had one? about the best we get is ambivalence, where characters are somewhat happy but don't really have what they want. so audrey and lyndon living together and klara and trixie living together in a decently well-run diabolica is about the best we are likely to get. although they do still have the scepter and lyndon now knows how it works...

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

Brain chip absolutely has a happy ending. The main character is off in space creating crazy animals, and the other main character is a benevolent god who created a utopia

it’s extremely weird to me that you can see the insane panopticon police state Aisha created, as well as the complete annihilation of her humanity, as a happy ending. the one genuinely human connection she had forged is gone forever, she is a deathless god-empress completely immune to empathy for any individual’s suffering. It’s a nightmare world.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

my rating on thorsby comic ending satisfaction would go:
1) Hitmen for Destiny-- the protagonist finds love, the universe is saved, the horrible shadow cabal that keeps loving with people's lives is falling apart, the antiheroes are off on their own adventures. Sure, lots of people died along the way, and the main character's best friendship ends, but broadly it's happy.
2) Accidental Space Spy-- all the main characters survive. Probably lots of wars in the universe get stopped. The protagonist makes it home safe, but he has to say goodbye forever to someone he loves, and he has this knowledge about the universe he can never share with anyone.
3) Transdimensional Brain Chip: nightmare pantopticon dystopia, one main character is alienated and unhappy, the other has completely lost her humanity and empathy.
Based on that progression we'll be lucky if this story ends with Trixia alive at all.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

so that's what would have happened if i'd invented the finglonger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I think Thorsby has steadily been getting better. Hitmen is about level with Space Spy for me, with Brain Chip being a bit below them, but I think that's less because of a lack of skill and more because he tackled a really, really high-concept setting and didn't quite stick the landing in parts. But the quality of his art has been improving over time, and the sophistication (not the same thing as complexity!) of his plots and characterization has improved too. I'm really excited to see what he does next.