Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just the one.

And people say Canada is such a bastion of tolerance. Perhaps it is, but the minute you leave the cities it is back to 1950s bigotry and racism.

No, Canada is as intolerant as anywhere else. We just manage to keep it hidden, or be polite enough that people forgive us. After the shooting in Ontario a year ago that killed a soldier, every goddamn day I had to hear rednecks go on about immigrants and Muslims, and I live in a city of a million people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Part of Everything posted:

I gotta say I am sick to death of the word shaman. I'm part Ojibwe and it's easy to tell in the community who is a) a fraud or b) actually native, but without traditional teachings, because there's no such thing as an "Indian shaman". The word shaman is actually Asian in origin and has had the poo poo appropriated out of it. We don't even say medicine people. Various tribes have their own specific term for healers/medicine people in their own particular language.

Are you trying to tell me that these people have no idea what the gently caress they are talking about? :aaa:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Took me a second. Holy poo poo that's amazing.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

So somebody screenshotted a tumblr post, put it on reddit, took a screenshot of reddit comments, reuploaded to tumblr, screenshotted that and put it on facebook.

A lot of effort was put into getting that not funny picture on facebook (and then a screenshot was taken and uploaded to SA)

Edit: thank you for that edit.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

goose fleet posted:

I like how mental illness now has "allies" as if it's an oppressed sexual orientation

Well, when you don't actually have a personality, you gotta make up for it with bullshit like this.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

I think the answer is "heels"
The stereotype explanation I've heard, whether true or not, is that she still wants to be feminine(i.e. not look like big bird) while wearing heels, so that requires the guy to be at least a certain amount taller than she.

I worked with a lady who was an inch taller than her boyfriend, and she refused to wear heels around him since women are supposed to be shorter. A grown woman decided to stop wearing a fashion item she loved because of gender roles.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Scathach posted:

"Teen Allergic to Wi-Fi Commits Suicide, Parents Say"

http://news.yahoo.com/teen-allergic-to-wifi-commits-suicide-parents-say-223912154.html

Does Yahoo News count as social media? Because christ, the loving comments.

It reminds me years back of when a cellphone tower was installed in a small town, and suddenly everyone living there had headaches and joint pain and other ailments, obviously caused by the emissions of the tower. They created a class-action lawsuit against the owning company, who then revealed the tower had never been turned on in the first place.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Birb Katter posted:

Please link Chris P Bacon to what happened in Australia when we banned killing guns. Because we went from a mass shooting a year to none in 2 decades after that ban.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Bast Relief posted:

I can't keep it in any longer. That woman's huge saggy rack is bothering me.

I think it's that she has her arms crossed along her chest

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Both of those posters are joking

But they're not even exaggerations of the kinds of people you find online. Like the joke is that it's not a joke to so many.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I love the imagery of this. "If you don't like a thing I do, then you are a woman, which is inferior and you should be ashamed" but then in the picture they use a guy who we can assume is into metal, and looks very feminine.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To be honest I don't get this whole "a real X listens to Y genre or they are Z which is a very bad thing" idea in the first place. Listen to the music that sounds good to you and don't let anybody tell you it's wrong. It's entertainment. Who the gently caress cares?

The idea that things they aren't into might actually please other people is scary.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Brick Shipment posted:

I play a virtual pet game because somehow I grew up and never got sick of them. There are other adults that also grew up and never got sick of them, but lots of them are this:

I'm reaaaally hoping this person is making this poo poo up for attention on the internet, but at least there's a nice confession for when the roommate sues to be reimbursed.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So long as LOB sticks to manageable madness and does not indulge in another Dozerfleet word vomit again, I can tolerate him.

Anyways, here's some Canadian content. Trudeau won the election, so a lot of the more hardcore conservatives have been really salty. One of my highschool acquaintances is a hardline conservative, and he posted this the other day:

The irony is delicious. The only reason Trudeau's photoshoot is top news in Canada is because whiny conservatives are making it top news. That he's actually making headway into the long ignored murdered and missing Native women doesn't matter to these shitheads.

And for those who don't know, Canada's elected leader looks like this:

So him doing photoshoots is for the betterment of us all.
:swoon:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Didn't a bunch of smash bros "community" people once intimidate a child out of his tournament winnings or something? That one usually comes up any time pro smash players get brought up.

Its almost like any time grown men get really into something designed for actual children (pokemon, my little pony, etc), they are usually scumbags who ruin it for everyone.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

BobbyK posted:

Uh guys...he knows girls (plural) who have done this! For reals though!

Isn't the odds of being falsely accused of rape some ridiculously tiny number? So either he's the most unlucky guy in the world, or a legit rapist.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

foobardog posted:

The point is that he didn't realize she was trans until that exact moment, and he was completely OK with it.

Ahh yes, Jeph Jacques. The guy who furiously masturbates over How Progressive his fictional characters are.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Bideo games.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

you will never know peace from video games as long as i still live

Nooo don't go Nintendo sixty-four dude, please don't leave. I'm sure that the fact that you haven't moved on in your life since you were a literal child creates such a huge impact on the internet community!

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

Most of the people I've seen complaining are people who lived on acreages as kids, where they had like two or three horses, a few barn cats, and a large dog. Somehow this qualifies them as 'farmers'. Maybe it's because they had to mow a larger front yard than city kids as their chores.

Bottom reply is from a girl that grew up on a farm pretty much like you describe, then moved to a city at about 14.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's part of the point, I think; he's a Democrat and things aren't absolutely perfect so he's obviously New Hitler. But if the parties were flipped you'd hear the right singing his praises over every little thing that went even the tiniest bit right.

That or you'll hear "it isn't a good enough recovery so obvious he's a jerk that's ruining America."

It's like how the newly-elected Premier of Alberta is apparently ruining the economy of this province. I guess she has total power over global gas prices, and she's specifically forcing them down to ruin the economy and put all the oilfield workers out of a job.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Also check out that new thread title.

I want Capcom to "censor" the game even more. Every time these nerds get mad, add more so called censorship. Within a month every female character will be fighting in fluffy parkas, revealing no skin or even showing more than the general shape of their bodies.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Dumbledore was gay, there were Jewish wizards at hogwarts. She keeps mentioning ten years after the books came out how progressive and inclusive they are, but she forgot to put it in the loving books.

I like her, she's a good person and the books are good reads for kids, but I really hate how she keeps trying to get credit for being inclusive by making poo poo up after the fact.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Fluo posted:

I want Hermione to be played by Idris Elba :swoon:

I want everyone to be played by Idris Elba :swoon:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

No, the entire universe would be destroyed if there was more then one Idris Elba.

Worth it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

"I once took an online quiz to test my IQ!"

change my name posted:

Rockey science: this Creed movie is loving fake

loving beautiful.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's funny because the people who post this think 300lbs, 250 blood sugar, and a bp of 150/110 is MANLY.

Hey now, you do build a fair amount of muscle mass carrying around all that body fat. Just standing up is like doing a lift at the gym, so clearly they are strong and masculine.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

goose fleet posted:

The entire premise behind IQ is flawed and supposed "testing" for a concept as vague as intelligence is a pseudosciencce :ssh:

IQ tests measure a person's ability to take an IQ test.

Yes people who are able to do things like rotate a 3D object in their mind will score higher, but that has no actual meaning on how intelligent a person is.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

This is stupid, there's obviously 9.

I got Moon Moon.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It also doesn't account for liars, who saw it anyway for whatever reason.

The 900k number of visitors seems to assume everyone who visits the site did so in complete agreement with their message, with now gawkers or anything of the like.

I'll always think back to this cute little image whenever nerds talk about boycotting things.

(this screenshot was taken release day for MW2).

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

SkinCrawling posted:

2016 is off with a great start!

:freep:

To be fair, you people don't speak English. You speak some inbred cousin of English where you drop all of your U's and say Loo-tenant.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

Two hands, two guns. Take the eight, they're superfluous. Even if you had hands for feet and could operate a gun with your face, that's still only a max of five needed to murder someone with the excuse of self defense.

Hording is actually a mental disorder so that guy should get some help for his illnesses. The other illness being paranoid schizophrenia.p

Well you got a gun for the bathroom, one under the pillow, one in each of your cars (two in the minivan), leave one at the office, carry two at all times, one each by the front and rear door of the house, etc. That way you're ready to go should an "urban youth" trouble you.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Madkal posted:

Or create a spreadsheet. That way you know who is bringing potato salad, who is bringing snacks, and who is bringing rifles.

Perhaps they misunderstood the expression "eat lead".

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Clochette posted:

I find it pretty darn ironic that a bunch of men from India are scoffing at the idea of patriarchy.

India has one of the most vocal mens rights movements in the world. A country where women can be slaughtered for disrespecting their family needs Men's Rights.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Dan is like the most ice cold social media person

:boom:

Dan deserves a raise for that alone.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Intentionally misspelling something is a classic way of disrespecting it. These are the same people who would type "Obongo" and poo poo like that.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Madkal posted:

It is widely known that comment sections are where reason and logic go to die a painful death. Just read any comments section on any news article and try make sense of the mental gymnastics people do on them. The funny thing is that people who leave comments are so eager to express their opinion that they will leave such comments on sites/articles that don't even relate to their opinion.

Really they are desperate for attention, and have alienated all of their friends over the years. These are the type of people who will make like 10+ rambling posts a day to their wall, and maybe one or two of them will get a 'like' from someone that they know.

So obviously the way to get attention and validation is to spew garbage onto any play that it can physically go, regardless of whether it is appropriate of not.

china bot posted:

Also, regarding the Steven Universe what-have-you:

You're on a first date. The two of you have a wonderful conversation for a couple hours at a quiet restaurant, good wine, good food. It's getting late, you walk outside to the parking lot to say goodnight. A warm hug. Some quick anal. You part ways and send a nice text when you get home saying it was a lovely time and you hope too see them again soon.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

America's overton window is shifted to the right so far that "liberal" means something totally different there than the entire rest of the world.

Pretty much. The most right-wing party in Canada is still arguably more left of the Democrats.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Madkal posted:

When it comes to cultural appropriation I wonder if the people writing the articles understand history. Basically everything ever done in history has been a form of cultural appropriation and not just buy conquer but by things like trade and alliances. If you look at things like food and places around the Mediterranean you will notice a lot of overlap food wise even though the cultures are different. And you what. That's great.
Also being of one ethnicity and enjoying things of another is not a bad thing. It's a pretty good thing. It shows an understanding of things different from your own culture. Anything otherwise is pretty much segregation of cultures. We know how good that is.

This is an argument that's been made a thousand times, and the difference between sharing culture and appropriating is a fine and delicate line.

One one hand, yeah good food should be enjoyed by as many people as possible, but on the other white people are trash and don't deserve nice things since we always loving ruin it (white versions of Indian dishes are just embarrassing, clueless hipsters wearing native headdresses while smoking weed at lovely music festivals, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

A particularly threadworthy conversation on the subject of censorship in nerd media appeared on my Tumblr dash ... but it is sort of huge. Should I post it in multiple parts?

Post some highlights, link the rest in an album? Tumblr arguments are about as awkward, misinformed, and entertaining as Something Awful arguments.