Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Guy Montag posted:

Thank mister skeltal!

Repost this in 32 seconds or ur never have munny again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

BigglesSWE posted:

The stuff about Canadians being so nice is just a weird stereotype, but as stereotypes go, being accused of being "nice" is probably one of the more tolerable ones.

I'm curious tho, what's the general consensus on us swedes? According to Polanball we're a bunch of homosexual Muslims, but I dunno if that is representative of the general picture.

Can anyone make sense of what this guy's saying?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

BigglesSWE posted:

I'm asking if there is a dumb stereotype about swedes that I should be aware about.

The joke is that everyone says Swedes are unintelligible due to their accent, no matter what language they are speaking.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Karma Monkey posted:

Swedish meatballs are my favorite meatballs. :blush:

Mine too :(

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

twistedmentat posted:

Lets put a literal war criminal in charge of the military!

HAve we ever not had a war criminal in charge of the military? :confused:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Actually people in the 90s saw the future like

or maybe

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

twistedmentat posted:

It's funny, because I know a guy who really got into MRA because he honestly through it was about breaking down macho bullshit in society,

Did you tell him that was what feminism was?

Also, I'm 6'7", and people, women included, just think I'm scary. :(

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Let's talk about instead this bakery that dared to create some unique pastry and somehow became a social media nightmare factory due to the current self-entitlement culture

http://says.com/my/news/much-ado-about-salted-egg-yolk-croissant-at-le-bread-days-ss2

Hahahaha! Jesus that's sad/hilarious. I love it.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I thought everybody knew at least one. :shrug:

A "friend" of mine denies the moon landing, thinks a singular secret world government exists that is consisted of subterranean lizard-men, is sure jets are spraying mind-control chemicals all over us constantly, and knows for a fact that fluoride is added to municipal tap water in order to make us docile and subservient.

He once asked me to run a "statistical analysis" on "data" he'd collected because I'd told him at one point that one of my focuses in grad school was quantitative analysis. Dude had recorded the nightly news every night for a month and wanted me to try to detect recurring patterns in the waveforms produced by the anchors reading the news. "There's some patterns that the conscious can't pick up on," he explained, "but the subconscious totally can."

And yes, he smokes bales of pot (it's ~natural~, unlike vaccines and fortified bread), why do you ask

Got two of those guys at work. One likes to ramble about Zeitgeist and believed that woman's uteruses fall out, literally, when they hit menopause. The other seems to buy into every dumb clickbait thing, from that thing about Mars being so close to seem as big as the moon, to chamtrails, to some nonsense about tremors and strange noises being test runs by secret superweapons.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Madkal posted:

It's why you can't prove a negative. Anything that contradicts a paranoid fantasy is considered a blatant lie to keep the paranoid fantasy going. Look at conspiracy theories. If you post facts disproving a theory you will be told that those "facts" were created by those in the conspiracy to try put doubt about the truth, man. Trust me, I have argued with me truther roommate a lot about whether an airplane flew into the pentagon or not.

Uhh, then where were the wing holes??!?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Start referring to them as goats without explanation.

Although my conservative grandparents were convinced that when the Bible said "all the nations" it meant that each nation was going to be judged, not each person. I'm still not sure how that is supposed to be comforting for people living in a nation that treats the poor, sick, and imprisoned terribly.

I wonder how they define nations.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

twistedmentat posted:

http://i.imgur.com/j6hDIKL.jpg

Wait...i, what? I'm sorry not having sex with someone because you're not attracted to them is reverse rape? How does that even work? You can't demand that people find you attractive, that's not a subjective thing that can be shamed into happening. It's not unlike not wanting to date a transperson. You can't call someone transphobic if they don't want to sleep with you. Not wanting to have sex with you its not bigotry, you don't have a right to have sex with whomever you want, it has to be consensual both ways.

Oh god. Now you've done it. Last time someone said they weren't interested in sleeping with a trans person in pyf was a 10 page derail.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

cash crab posted:

I can shorten it.

"I don't have to sleep with someone if I don't want to."
"By saying you don't want to you are implicitly agreeing that you do not consider their gender to be valid."
"Untrue. I just don't want to interact with their genitals, presuming they are the 'original model', so to speak."
"Genitals have no gender."
"Let us go both read Judith Butler."
[ten minutes later]
"That was awful."
"Agreed. Let us behold this screencap of a guy ousting himself as racist."
"Good show." [pours champagne directly onto the floor]

You're a hero, cash crab.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Chomp8645 posted:

Video games are a popular form of digital media, much like movies and music. All are frequently discussed on social media platforms.

I think you will find this is anti-social media. :smuggo:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

CommonShore posted:

That's about as accurate as saying that Syrian refugees are all Islamist terrorists. In short, the church renovations had nothing to do with "happiness." It was about ecclesial austerity (basically small church government) and idolatry. Those same renovations for example also removed railings from around the altar and pulpit so that the congregation wasn't being fenced out from the act of worship. By and large as a group they were perfectly happy to let people enjoy themselves as long as it was a) not making a church into an entertainment centre, and b) not pagan-themed.

That anti-happiness caricature originates in the fact that Charles I was a major patron of the arts, and so pretty much every stylish or artistic person in the country was indebted to him in some way.

Anyway, no derail.

They did ban Christmas celebrations and mass, though, during the civil war and interregnum, to the extent that they attempted to force shop owners to open on Christmas. In Canturbury, they went so far as to send armed soldiers to suppress a mob demanding a Christmas mass and the right to set up decorations.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

twistedmentat posted:

The guy who invented Soylent wrote these right?

Seriously, these were probably written as a joke, but there are people out there that are all "yea, those should be the rules about work, its called WORK for a reason". and they're the people who are in middle management or small business owners than vanish half way though the day and expect their employees to stay late and work on weekends, and when asked about raises go "You have a job, you should be thankful for that".

One of the guys on freep took the radios out of all his company's trucks so his employees wouldn't listen to them :D

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Arcsquad12 posted:

People getting pissed off that Tesla gets overlooked compared to that *mainstream* dickhead Edison.

In all fairness, Edison was a dickhead.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Electrical Fire posted:

You Have Died of Scurvy! (from eating only ramen and flour)

Uhh, they brought oranges. :rolleyes:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Judge Tesla posted:

The main people outside the police/military who have guns in England are farmers or private collectors, as well as organized crime gangs but that goes without saying

Of course it goes without saying. You already said cops. :v:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Neither is for revolution. Both support capitalism and exploitation. They mislead us into a deadly end electoral trap. Would you like more "Thoughts?" (smile)

The capitalist system is based on the extraction of surplus-value (essentially profit) from the labor of workers who don't own productive property and have only their ability to work to sell, which puts them at the mercy of the capitalist owners. That is exploitation. Obviously, much more to discuss! But even Bernie has made it clear that he opposes government control of the means of production and favors merely a few bandaids for the working class.

But unironically.

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah. As long as they look slick, they a-ok.

I'm the complaint that someone won't murder me.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

He's referring to Elliot Rodgers, isn't he?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

CommonShore posted:

Also Benghazi is why goons are mostly Trump supporters

IDGI

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Neither are Mexicans, or Jews, so I guess this checks out.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

AMEN

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Elderbean posted:

Response to a sovereign citizen video.

Libertarians are liberals.

Also on the front page of IMGUR

In all fairness, libertarians are liberals. Then again, so are most American conservatives, so.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

No to which part?

Edit: Was referring to the actual definition of liberalism, rather than the American colloquial usage.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Jan 24, 2016

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm a cat. I can talk and I wear clothes, but I'm totally a cat. Cats get their lips pierced right?

My human ears and eyes can somehow hear and see better because I am a cat.

I hope this video haunts her for the remainder of her life long after she has grown up and stopped being a cat.

She is never going to stop being a cat.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Regalingualius posted:

Isn't that the same state where they accidentally set some massive coal deposit on fire, and it's slated to keep on burning for at least the next couple hundred years?

Well, yes, but it makes sense that a state with a lot of coal would have a coal fire.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's almost as if people who were spanked as kids have a slight anger towards those who spank their kids!

I was hit as a kid and raised with a military disciplined dad, and it hosed me up bad. I was more submissive in my life and unquestionably accepted authority.

It's not a surprise that I am very hesitant of authority and people who hold control over others.

The biggest flaw in spanking your kids is the fact that there are families out there who have raised awesome kids without ever hitting their child.

Hey child abuse buddy! Same here, along with getting my arm (re)broken once, and pushed down the stairs twice. I felt ill whenever I disagreed with people for the longest time, but eventually got it, mostly.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I've tried getting people like this to define "chemicals" for me. They just say I know what they mean.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

WillOfTheGods posted:

Yeah at least half of this is pretty accurate to my experience with anxiety. The part the doesn't ring true is "Dating someone with anxiety", as if I could date someone when making a simple phone call makes me sweat. (Yes I'm in therapy + on meds.)

Is there anything Obama could do that wouldn't bring accusations of him being a Muslim? I think if he ordered the nuking of Mecca someone on Freep would still be crying "TAQIYYA!!!"

Well, you see, the most extreme Muslims destroy monuments, so Obama is just revealing his extremist Muslim ISIS Daesh ways!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Picnic Princess posted:

Gonorrhea in a glass, chlamydia in a can.

You mean Chlamyto Cocktail?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

cash crab posted:

What is a prostitution whore? In what way does this occupation differ from a regular prostitute or whore? TIA

Ask your mom. :smug:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

The Saddest Rhino posted:

People actually idolize the zombie Nazis in those movies?

He is hiding his Nazi-ism under a fascade of quirky ironic Nazi-ism.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Dr_Amazing posted:

Only because people take sports soooo seriously, and get annoyed if you don't watch it right or like the wrong team or something

I know enough about the sports people care about to always deliberately say I am cheering for the team nobody likes.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Big Centipede posted:

I don't know what that means

It means anime.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Byzantine posted:

Doesn't that mean everybody is bisexual, though?

No. I'm gαy.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

JT Smiley posted:

How can people be so heartless? Also, do they really expect a charity to send every kid in the country to Disney just because?

No. Of course not. Just theirs.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Tetracube posted:

I have frequent dreams where I'm driving a car but then the car starts sliding on ice. I can't control it and I start swerving wildly and all my passengers are screaming but then the car is actually a plane and it's 9/11. Share if you agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Kid Rock.