Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tesla was the one in the prestige right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Tesla also died a virgin so he's their patron saint

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Byzantine posted:

What's with all the nerds sucking Tesla's dick recently?

People getting pissed off that Tesla gets overlooked compared to that *mainstream* dickhead Edison.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

the future of humanity being the dead scientist dude

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Arctic Baldwin posted:

the future of humanity being the dead scientist dude

True. That ship sailed long ago.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I loved David Bowie as Tesla

Translation (for the non-Malay speakers):

In the West there is a new religion called Jedism that uses this film as the basis of their “faith”.

Still not aware?

Still want to defend your “faith”?

3 S, screen, sport and sex.

Our Generation Y have been laid low by all these three S.

Also somewhere in there George Lucas is named "Prophet George al-Lukasi"

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I mean, there's a real Jedi religion based on the movies, but I doubt any of them are having sport or sex.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Wait, are people really serious about Jedi-ism? I mean, its basically just a joke answer to polls atheists use to make fun of the absurdity of other religions a la Pastafarianism in an extra nerdy shell, right?

Actually, I really hope that for someone out there, the equivalent of Sunday mass is a hour training themselves to lift their car with their mind.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I practice Riddikulism.

Every morning I open-palm slam a VHS into the slot.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

i have renounced TiredMemeism

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

goose fleet posted:

I'm kind of weirded out by how this happens so often that it's in the news on a weekly, sometimes daily basis

I hated how every time one of these stories hit the news cycle people would jokingly ask if I was loving my students, because certainly they must have had crushes on me and therefore I guess I had no agency in making a moral decision, never mind any interest in some minute man action with some teenage doofus.

God back when I was Internet dating I can't tell you how many guys liked to go on about some hot teacher they had knowing I was a teacher. OK fine, whatever, if it wasn't for them always asking if I even found any of my students attractive. No. Well adjusted adults don't feel that way about the children they are responsible for.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Arcsquad12 posted:

People getting pissed off that Tesla gets overlooked compared to that *mainstream* dickhead Edison.

In all fairness, Edison was a dickhead.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jummy posted:

Yes, people who are dipshit racists are as bad as people calling out racism. Even if the books did say she was white, who gives a poo poo? The books say she can use magic and mix potions, something as far as I know Emma Watson can't do but she seemed to handle the role just fine.

Na just as annoying and obnoxious

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Depressio111117 posted:

loving Christ I am looking forward to when this Tesla circlejerk is over and done with. Everything The Oatmeal touches turns to annoying.

I still can't get my head around how that oatmeal guy got millions for a bad uno card game

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

NotAnArtist posted:

Idris Elba is rumored to play Roland Deschain in the upcoming Dark Tower series and I'm looking forward to the potential racist nerd tears

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

One, a celebrity from this decade. The other, a scientist that most people only know of from a popularity spike thanks to some guy who draws below-average to average level humor in his comics.

How could anyone possibly be better informed about someone constantly on television and social media????

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Byzantine posted:

What's with all the nerds sucking Tesla's dick recently?

I wondered why people keep hanging around my place.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Wanamingo posted:

Why is it that so many people put spaces before their punctuation ?

In France that is actually the correct way to type. When I learned it at school they taught us to put a space before and after !, ? , ; and :.

I actually think it looks better so I keep doing it most of the time.

Not saying that all people typing like that are French but maybe there are other countries that also use this scheme.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hah. Teslas entire career was people saying his theories were insane and then 100+ years later going "Ya know; maybe he was right..."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

Hah. Teslas entire career was people saying his theories were insane and then 100+ years later going "Ya know; maybe he was right..."

Exactly how people will talk about Kayne in 100 years.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bast Relief posted:

I hated how every time one of these stories hit the news cycle people would jokingly ask if I was loving my students, because certainly they must have had crushes on me and therefore I guess I had no agency in making a moral decision, never mind any interest in some minute man action with some teenage doofus.

God back when I was Internet dating I can't tell you how many guys liked to go on about some hot teacher they had knowing I was a teacher. OK fine, whatever, if it wasn't for them always asking if I even found any of my students attractive. No. Well adjusted adults don't feel that way about the children they are responsible for.

GOD YES. I teach college, so actual legal adults, and I can't even look at a female that age without feeling guilty and weird. I have friends who don't understand this.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I loved David Bowie as Tesla

Translation (for the non-Malay speakers):

In the West there is a new religion called Jedism that uses this film as the basis of their “faith”.

Still not aware?

Still want to defend your “faith”?

3 S, screen, sport and sex.

Our Generation Y have been laid low by all these three S.

Also somewhere in there George Lucas is named "Prophet George al-Lukasi"

People made fun of this guy (who's apparently some conservative Malay Muslim cleric) on his facebook so he felt the need to retaliate

Translation:
The Malaysian Galaxy is very fortunate to have such Jediist mujahideens/jihadis who are so eager to defend their galaxy. We are confident that if World War III happens, these Jediists will be ready to fight with the Force in their chests.

Congratulations again to George Al-Lukasi Al-Jew for successfully giving birth to a generation of Jediist jihadis who are ready to attack anyone who challenges their galaxy.

As Allah SWT says "The Jews and Christians will never retreat until you follow their beliefs."

I know the influence of Starwars is very strong in the whole world and definitely in Malaysia. Only I cannot value at what stage it is [in Malaysia]. The negative and positive reaction to my two posts which are provocative, doesn't give much of a picture of this phenomenon.

i don't think Allah ever said that but hey he's the cleric

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Muslims vs Jedi is probably what we would've ended up with if Lucas made episodes 7-9

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bast Relief posted:

Nevermind your own moral compass: students are such insufferable little shits in one way or another that you have to be broken/mentally slow to find them attractive. *

*Source: I was a student once.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Muslims vs Jedi is probably what we would've ended up with if Lucas made episodes 7-9

We got that in Episode 2

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mission_to_rescue_Shmi_Skywalker_Lars

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CommonShore posted:

Bad CGI portrait offfffff..... Tesla?

I mean we're talking about it like it's Tesla but I'm still not entirely convinced it's Tesla.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The Drunk History Tesla sketch was one of my favorites. Crispin Glover was fantastic as Edison

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I mean we're talking about it like it's Tesla but I'm still not entirely convinced it's Tesla.

TBH I just assumed it was Tesla because self-important shitlord neckbeards fetishize him, and Tesla was skinny and had a moustache. Odds suggested it. It could be a young Alexander Fleming in Movember, or perhaps one of the lesser-known heroes of Roarke's Drift.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

Lightsabers are not Halal because they do not allow for the blood to leave the body.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Didnt Tesla have sex with birds or something. Whatever I feel like Edison is the guy you wanna party with.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Just don't take him to the circus.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Edison was a super douche, but Tesla was a weird neurotic so basically the party is where neither man is.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

This reminds me of that scene in Super Size Me where he shows a bunch of children pictures of Jesus, and George Bush, and then finally Ronald McDonald. The fact that a bunch of children have difficulty ID'ing the president at the time or a guy whose entire existence they probably associate with being punished or yelled at but CAN recognize a clown aimed at amusing children is this GOTCHA moment. Same idea. I mean, I can recognize both of them, but if I couldn't that would be meaningless. I see Kanye West constantly because I have little control over it. I don't hear about Tesla because despite his contributions, he doesn't have a direct and meaningful impact on the world right now BECAUSE HE IS DEAD.

Also, I always thought people were super wet over Tesla because of Cracked. They are bizarrely obsessed with him.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Kinda funny that the only reason I know anything about Kanye West is because nerds on the internet won't shut up about him.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cash crab posted:

This reminds me of that scene in Super Size Me where he shows a bunch of children pictures of Jesus, and George Bush, and then finally Ronald McDonald. The fact that a bunch of children have difficulty ID'ing the president at the time or a guy whose entire existence they probably associate with being punished or yelled at but CAN recognize a clown aimed at amusing children is this GOTCHA moment. Same idea. I mean, I can recognize both of them, but if I couldn't that would be meaningless. I see Kanye West constantly because I have little control over it. I don't hear about Tesla because despite his contributions, he doesn't have a direct and meaningful impact on the world right now BECAUSE HE IS DEAD.

Also, I always thought people were super wet over Tesla because of Cracked. They are bizarrely obsessed with him.

Yeah half of crackeds insanely lovely shirts involve tesla in some way or another

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Totbot posted:

Kinda funny that the only reason I know anything about Kanye West is because nerds on the internet won't shut up about him.

He makes really good music that angry internet nerds never listen to because they've already decided he's an overrated hack

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

cash crab posted:

This reminds me of that scene in Super Size Me where he shows a bunch of children pictures of Jesus, and George Bush, and then finally Ronald McDonald. The fact that a bunch of children have difficulty ID'ing the president at the time or a guy whose entire existence they probably associate with being punished or yelled at but CAN recognize a clown aimed at amusing children is this GOTCHA moment.

How's a kid gonna know what Jesus looks like, anyhow? There's a lot of variation in images of the guy.

quote:

There's been a lot of different vectors for the Tesla obsession. One can probably find a patient zero, but I doubt there's a point, since it doesn't change the fact that so many people are fukken insufferable about him now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The other thing that bears mentioning in respect to the totally stupid Tesla picture is that, even if it was a good likeness, the ability to recognize him has nothing to do with understanding or appreciating his work, especially in comparison to a guy who has the literal job of being well-known and recognizable. Tesla never hired a PR agency.

EG - I understand and appreciate vaccines. I know that Pasteur developed his small pox vaccine from cow pox pustules. I would not be able to identify Louis Pasteur. And Pasteur is at least as significant as Tesla.

So many dimensions to the IOSM circle jerk in that image.

Also: Racism.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:downs:

I mean, other than being smug and overreactive, this was posted by a girl who I would describe as "probably literate" and so it seems a little superior to literally suggest suicide to people who probably forgot some periodic elements because eighth grade was a long time ago and also who gives a poo poo. I also just realized that this is just congratulating oneself for being able to memorize something, which is something monkeys can do.

Also, can someone please explain to me why Kanye West/The Kardashians are always the go-to when people want to lord their basic intelligence over other people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
Iron, oxygen, helium. Wowzers, so impressive.