Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

twistedmentat posted:

Every time someone I know shares a article about healthy eating and such, i check it out, and then I find that that the "sources" are all Natural News and such sites and full of garbage about PESTICIDES and EAT ORGANIC!

I feel wrong commenting on them, pointing out the suspect sources, but these people are legitimately trying to lose weight ( as am I) and I don't want to call them stupid. It's a hard thing, and people can end up looking for anything that can help. As I've said, though, its not harmful, just makes you pay more for food, and it may help you think more about what you eat.

Yeah man. I draw pretty much the same line. Almost every successful diet works because it makes a person think twice about what gets shoved in the pie hole. If someone is trying to get to a healthy weight and is on some kind of bullshit paleo retardfest, I just keep my mouth shut and let them get under 2000 calories or whatever however they manage to get there.

I will call people out on that same kind of bullshit if they're spreading misinformation and/or harrassing other people, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cosima posted:

What's the deal with people who buy organic? Is it a save the earth thing or more of a "toxins"=cancer thing?

90% the latter. Anyone who has done the research on it knows that it's not a very good "Save the Earth" option because organic commodities can be much more carbon intensive.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

toothbrushes

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You know, I decided to look that guy up, and I think it's just a lovely attempt at being an internet comedy guy. Eg:

quote:

Matt O ‏@Matt_Olszewski Dec 19

Me and my bros have a secret handshake, one kiss on the lips

quote:

Matt O ‏@Matt_Olszewski Dec 18

I've spent over 500 dollars on Christmas to ensure my place in heaven

He also has a few tweets calling out racists.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SpacePig posted:

There's a bit of a special timing you need to give tweets you intend to be read as funny. This guy does not have such a thing.

Yeah. I'm just drawing the distinction between different kinds of IOSM. He's not really being a misogynist. Poe's law in action.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Many conventionally grown cultivars of fruit and veggies you find at the grocery store are designed to be as large & retain as much water as possible. While this does result in tubs full of uniform, large shiney apples for you to buy, it also dilutes the nutrition of the food. Organically grown produce has more nutrition in it than conventionally grown food.

As far as enkvironmental reasons for buying organic go, a 'farm' like Earthbound that grows organic is no better than a conventional farm, because they deal in large-scale monocrops which deplete the soil of nutrition and fauna, and drastically reduce the biodiversity of an area. Small scale growers, like some of the ones at your farmers markets (unless they're shite redistributors of food and should be shot for pretending to be farmers), really do help steward and preserve the land they grow on. Not to say they don't drive out wildlife by cultivating land, but smaller lots mean more hedgerows where mammals and birds can live.

Know your grower! Eat local & organic!

Yep. Organic is useless environmentally w/o local. There's still the problem of lower yeilds.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aesop Poprock posted:

I no longer think I'm literate

The letters that signify my degrees are longer than my name, and I'm not sure that I could get 100% on that obnoxious quiz.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SpacePig posted:

ISIS is everywhere, and everyone who is brown is ISIS, regardless of national origin.

:tinfoil:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Parasol Prophet posted:

Recently I found an article about how Donald Trump's campaign and other factors have fueled interest in the 'alt-right' white nationalist movement online this year. Apparently somebody posted a link to the article on Stormfront, which naturally led to a swamp of the finest examples of the white race taking over the comment section.

Most of them had interesting, but predictable thoughts on the matter:

...But then there's this lady, who shows up multiple times in every comment thread to tell everyone what their REAL issue is. (Note: None of the following people said anything about white children, or wishing to harm them.)

Then she made her own thread, and immediately got DUPED by SARCASM

As a side note, I love how these people talk. "Don't you try any of those distracting jokes on me!" :bahgawd:

:dogbutton:

:whitepeople:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Video games will evolve to become a tool for raising a new generation of men. Our current education system fails horribly at providing real information on how the world works, what motivates people, and how to get laid. More importantly, it pussifies men and turns them into starry-eyed believers in the Disney variety of life and love. The entire concept of sitting quietly and reading is meant for girls. Boys need the fight, the challenge, competition, and a test of their strength.

Games were always learning tools. Now they can become a tool for learning greater masculinity. To become real men, boys must overcome challenges and find the true strength in themselves. Whether this is done in a virtual or real arena is irrelevant. By creating games that are consciously aimed at presenting a proper challenge, we can collectively make the world a better place for the next generation of men. And possibly help them get laid more.

The education system has failed because it makes people believe in a fantasy world where everything works out and there are no negative consequences.

Here have a fantasy world in which everything works out and there are no negative consequences.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dial it back

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nostrum posted:

I tried to make something as lovely looking as usual, but I could not loving figure it out, so here you go

Did you... take a picture of the screen with your phone?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That editorial article doesn't seem very... reliable. I note that it doesn't indicate why she was arrested. I suspect she was drunk and beligerent or something.

Here's the judgment from her denied appeal. Note that "she sued the police department," but the article doesn't note that she loving lost, and she lost her appeal.
http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/unpub/14/14-20464.0.pdf

Yep. Officer arrested her because some evidence suggested that Cooper had been lying about having been sitting there watching them.

The following undisputed facts were within Davidson’s knowledge at the time of arrest: posted:

(1) a neighbor called the police at 9:56 p.m. and reported that Cooper’s two children, appearing to be five years of age or younger, were riding motorized scooters on a street at night without adult supervision; (2) when interviewed at the scene, the neighbor and another witness stated that shortly before the neighbor called the police, the witness was driving her vehicle on a neighborhood street and nearly struck Cooper’s young daughter, who darted out in front of her on a motorized scooter; (3) the two stated that Cooper’s young son was also on the street riding a motorized scooter at the time and that the two children were not supervised by an adult; (4) Davidson spoke to Cooper in her driveway, and Cooper denied that her children were almost struck by a vehicle or unsupervised and invoked her Fifth Amendment right to not answer any further questions; (5) Davidson observed that Cooper’s garage door was open, that the rear lift gate on Cooper’s vehicle was raised, that the hood of the vehicle was hot to the touch, and that Cooper’s son came outside and unloaded a twelve pack of Dr. Pepper from the vehicle; and (6) Davidson relayed the information he had learned to a Harris County Assistant District Attorney, who agreed with Davidson that there was probable cause to arrest Cooper for abandoning or endangering a child.

gently caress I hate smug editorials that leave out key information.

CommonShore has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Jan 1, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mans posted:

didn't a 12 year old black kid die a few weeks back because he was on the street playing with a toy gun?

If you mean the kid in Chicago who is the focus of the recent protests, he was 14 and it was an airsoft gun without a red tip.

:(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wilford Cutlery posted:

The kid was in Cleveland. Protests in Chicago were about a different kid.

So pretty much the same story, but with a new kid.

:smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

No? The kid in Chicago was holding a real knife, but was clearly walking away from the cops when the officer shot him 3 times, then 13 more times after he fell to the ground. It's two completely different incidents besides both being unjustified police shootings of black minors.

oh I did some googling. I thought Tamir Rice was the Chicago one. Iw as getting wires crossed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oldpainless posted:

I bet they all just look the same to you.

I'm sorry that I'm not meticulously up to date about how another country's police murders children.

That made me sad to type it.
:smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cash crab posted:

can't tell if serious but HAHAHAHA

This was two pages back. The guy is just a habitual shitposter wannabe twitter comedian. i.e. not serious, even if not clever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I can cook but I'm a two-spirited fox/ki-rin hybrid otherkin, so it goes without saying.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aesop Poprock posted:

I do everything like our founding fathers did so I call them Mahometans and they love it

Today our valiantly patriots oppose the unabated spread of Turkery.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The food appropriation thing is a problem. It's basically a kind of gentrification and it doesn't really have anything to do with the ethnicity of the person serving the food as it has more to do with white middle class bias and prejudices playing a sort of "Gatekeeper" game.

In terms of restaurant service it happens when a white chef starts selling for $25 a product copied from what had been sold in an ethnic restaurant for $5 when that ethnic restaurant had been previously shunned by white customers for being in a dodgy area of town or "too" ethnic (i.e. not white) to previously give attention.

In terms of "Discovering" a restaurant it suggests that the restaurant had been previously dismissed for being "too" ethnic and/or being in a dodgy part of town, but now that A Nice White Lady (tm) has found it and declared it to be Not At All Scary (r) it's ok for white people to go there, so it now "Officially" exists.

As a fan of going to less-white areas and enjoying the food that's served there in weird holes-in-the-wall and/or street service style, I've seen it happen a number of times.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Saddest Rhino posted:

today I learnt Roger Ebert wrote an essay about how useful the rice cooker is http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-journal/the-pot-and-how-to-use-it

I actually use that as an example text for certain principles in a university writing class.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, as soon as I read the post I went to Wikipedia and surprise! It's nearly all bullshit. He laid in wait for them and shot them without warning.

More like liberalpedia :colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

oldpainless posted:

Seems to me if you don't try to break into a guys house to rob him he probably won't shoot you.

victim blaming

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Saddest Rhino posted:

speaking of "MILLENNIALS!!!" a friend just linked me to the most amazing/tryhard article about how terrible this generation is http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/01/08/boomers-millennials-workforce/#Ip29IWACltoXGkBz.99

the writer is also a TERF

ohh boomers :allears:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EvilGenius posted:

If I was Irish I'd get probably get pretty sick of non-Irish people using St Patrick's day as an excuse to wear stupid green hats and drink Guinness all night, like that's all there is to Irish culture. In England, St Patrick's day is bigger than the English equivalent St George's day, just because it's an excuse to drink.

I'm a big chunk Irish, descended from literal Ellis Island orphans who had "Race: Irish" on their birth certificates, and it drives me loving crazy that "Alcohol Abuse + Cheap Plastic Bullshit = Irish Culture."

I always go jogging on St. Pats instead.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You know, I hate to defend an iosm, but it is possible for a dog to be bad with kids.

Also Benghazi is why goons are mostly Trump supporters

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sean Smith, the tech, was a goon aka vile rat. He's still a mod on d&d, and he was a eve goon big shot.

Hillary :bahgawd:

E. I'm kidding obviously about goons supporting trump BC of this.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Has anyone here ever asked a
code:
White History Month
advocate to produce a syllabus so that we can see the things that need attention?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Notice how they always argue for gender parity in the nice comfy white collar jobs, but not say; mining, or rubbish collection or sewerage workers

Because those things are a man's responsibility. #masculinitysofragile that men are complaining they have to do a few dirty jobs, while women have to deal with real issues, like that incredibly sexist air conditioning.

ok, I know this is gimmick post but I need to know more about this

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

RFC2324 posted:

It really isn't. They make all kinds of other noises, and you can totally learn what they mean. Also, body language is a thing, even tho is limited.

Some friends of mine taught their baby a basic sign language. :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BioEnchanted posted:

They better make youtube vids of that in action. That's amazing :3:

It's pretty past-tense now. The kid is like 3 or 4.

But it was just basic nouns with simple gestures. The only one I remember was "banana," which was just rubbing one index finger on the other (kinda like peeling a banana, right?) And whenever they'd say "banana" to him, or give him "banana," they'd use the gesture really clearly. It didn't take him long for him to start responding to such questions as "are you hungry?" with the "banana" gesture, and then scarfing down the bananas because he got exactly what he wanted.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Finisher1 posted:

Is there a term for this? Because I see this all the time on my feed too.

"posting"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ahh yes if we model ourselves on one corporate pop culture product instead of on another corporate pop culture product we are more special and unique individuals.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Boywhiz88 posted:

:stare:

Posted this in Dumb Marketing but I feel like it's also an idiot on social media.

sniped

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Whenever I see this I cringe.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Christo posted:

Do flat-earthers ever explain what the end game to all this supposed conspiracy is? Who's profiting from the round earth lie? Is it a just so a bunch of eggheads at NASA can laugh at the ignorant masses?

Poe's law. It's a mix of people who are just idiots and believe it, and people who are essentially trolls having a laugh.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

paradoxGentleman posted:

Man, I never know how to feel about this sort of stuff. On the one hand, yes, this is weird! But on the other, a lot of the elements in my religion coud be considered weird too. Does it make me an rear end in a top hat to consider this person weird when my religion state that the son of God sacrificed himself so that we could be free from sin?

no

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Counts as IOSM because the underlying message is "we clam that we lack gender equality so we need to return to what we were doing 40 years ago back when we had ideal gender equality"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Intoluene posted:

I think there's some credence to the argument that the current education system caters more to girls than boys but it's being overblown here. It's way better to boys than it used to be with girls. There's big problems with STEM fields with girls, too.

The vid is also strawman to the max, verging on "everyone is idiots" fallacies. It keeps hammering on these things that each exactly happened one time ever (the pop tart gun) and which 100% of onlookers decided were stupid as gently caress, and then holds them as key examples of the problems with the modern education system in the US. Also the likelihood that every teacher is making boys read Little House on the Prairie and forbidding anything of any other style (and that every girl loves that poo poo and every boy hates it) approaches zero. Acceptable course material is still probably mostly stuff written by (white) men anyway.