Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

The stuff about Canadians being so nice is just a weird stereotype, but as stereotypes go, being accused of being "nice" is probably one of the more tolerable ones.

I'm curious tho, what's the general consensus on us swedes? According to Polanball we're a bunch of homosexual Muslims, but I dunno if that is representative of the general picture.

Vaguely racist in a neutral sort of way. And other than Germany you make the best cars in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Guilty Spork posted:

When the gently caress has there been a case where Americans had a chance to be refugees? If things were as screwed here as in Syria you can bet there would be plenty of American refugees.

Instead we've just helped create situations where people from other countries wind up as refugees.

I guess the South could have refugeed to the North during the Civil War.

Although honestly, Black flight out of the South after the Civil War looked a lot like refugee migration.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What if we soaked our bullets in turkey gravy. That'd show the Turkey Day terrorists.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Carrie Fisher has been looking pretty rough this last decade. Maybe she's been happy in that body, but she was more cat-lady than princess.

Mark Hamil had to do poo poo to get in movie shape too. Of all the commercial tie-ins, I'm surprised Spanks doesn't have a Star Wars ad because I'm sure everybody from the original trilogy is absolutely covered in them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Puppy Time posted:

Isn't that picture photoshopped? Something about the shadows looks off. That, and I'm fairly sure you couldn't ride in a subway in that position for long enough to take that photo.

People do nude photoshoots on subways.

The guy to her left looks absolutely miserable about his choice in subway cars. Which is probably the most authentic thing about that image.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

John McCain has such a positive attitude for someone who can't raise his arms.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I'm basically just using this thread as an easier to read Wikipedia so sorry

I thought that gas prices weren't really in his control? I thought they had dropped because one country was trying to force some competition out by drastically lowering their prices to the point that they couldn't compete. Am I wrong?

Prices dropped because of fracking. It flooded the market with oil, which ironically now makes fracking economically unfeasible. But even if there is less fracking going forward, the market now knows the U.S. and Canada can produce huge amounts of crude when prices rise again. This means instability in Iraq or Venezuela won't cause a shortage worldwide.

But yeah, Presidents have no control over gas prices. They don't control unemployment numbers either. They do have a little control over the housing market via whoever they nominated to be Fed Chairman.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

At Will Employment because freedom! :911:

One of the issues is that a lot of states have it set up so an employer can legally fire somebody for no reason whatsoever or for any reason so long as it isn't one of the ones that's explicitly outlined. All an employer really has to do is say "I just didn't like the guy" and it's fine. You can make up bullshit reasons with no backing like "he wasn't productive enough" or whatever. As long as an employer isn't caught saying "fired for being gay" or whatever it's completely legal.

Then you have to actually prove it which may very well involve a court battle that the newly unemployed person may not be able to afford.

At Will employment can be both good and bad. In my experience, the more job protections you have, the worse you're treated by your employer. I'm a straight White guy, so I don't have the same life experiences as a minority class - but I got treated the worst working in an union job and treated the best as a non-benefited contractor who could be fired at any time.

Again - White guy here. Benefited class. Privileged all the way. It's probably different if you're gay, Black, Muslim, with a work visa from Syria, or a Bingo card combination of all 4.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Complaints over a Black storm trooper seem odd because weren't the first ones cloned from an Arabic or Persian guy? Luke and Han are the only White people we've ever seen wear the helmet. If you watched only episodes 4-7, you might think all storm troopers were Black.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well they did say it's different for boys than girls. So there's that at least.

I don't think I've ever heard of a situation where the teenage boy came out of hot teacher rape better than he went in - except maybe for that Mary Jo kid who went on to marry his rapist. But hey, sexy teachers am I rite.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

Hah. Teslas entire career was people saying his theories were insane and then 100+ years later going "Ya know; maybe he was right..."

Exactly how people will talk about Kayne in 100 years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I can get behind that shout out. Although in my case it was more family with 9-5 jobs who can't understand why 22 year old me working service industry jobs can't do poo poo on weekends.

Birb Katter posted:

This could easily just be Australian and it's super topical here at the moment because the government are starting to push hard for a massive pay cut for people in hospitality because 'society has changed and weekends don't mean much these days'.

I obviously know nothing about Australia - how does the government push for lower wages? Was there a differential that people got by law for working weekends or does the parliament set actual wages in the private sector?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Birb Katter posted:

The government sets the minimum wage that you must pay staff and mandate shift loading for outside of normal hours type work. At the moment you get double your base rate if you work Sunday (150% Saturday) and they're trying to strip that Sunday loading away because 'lol, no one goes to church anymore'. But only for hospitality workers, aka the ones who have the least ability to defend themselves.

It's allegedly because it is hampering hospitality growth (which just happens to be one of the strongest sectors of the economy) but it's really because what will happen is that supermarket staff will get paid less and the supermarket chains are big party downers (meant to write donors here but the typo fits).

Awesome. Australia should totally become more like the United States. That'll show their economy that hasn't had a recession in 25 years. Now to just whittle down that pesky minimum wage of theirs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I get where he's coming from. Tie fighters are not aerodynamic and could never fly in atmosphere. Immersion destroyed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Elderbean posted:

So the "affluenza" guy is all over the news again and people don't seem to understand that a minor can't be tried as an adult for a DUI and they're all just turning into a giant pitchfork mob about it.

As far as I know, no one in the jury actually bought into that affluenza garage and they still found him guilty.

But it wasn't a DUI? He was convicted of 4 counts of some manslaughter variant. And I think he was convicted as an adult, because he's 18 now and still bound to the ridiculous sentence he got.

I had to double check and make sure this wasn't a LoB post.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Karma Monkey posted:

This was something I was pretty ignorant about. I always thought of food allergies as being as simple as not eating whatever it was that you were allergic to. I didn't know that there are some people whose allergies are severe enough to include airborne particles of the food item until I witnessed it. It was pretty scary. I can't imagine how terrifying it would be to be the child experiencing it. :(

I wonder whether people with those kinds of allergies ever had time to be terrified of it. Back in the olden days they probably died pretty young.

It sucks, but all the quarantining in the world isn't going to make a difference. If your allergies are THAT bad you will get exposed to sometime at some point and probably at the worst possible time. Creating safe zones could make it worse because it gives people a false sense of security. Your epipen is your only friend.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

I'm p sure a big part of why repair work doesn't get done is that there isn't a lot of immediate profit from it for the people running those departments. They get paid the same either way so why not spend the absolute minimum on maintenance and leave the repairs to the next guy? Maximize revenue and all that.

A couple of years after that bridge collapsed in Minnesota and we realized how broken our poo poo was, we had a 800 billion dollar stimulus program sold to taxpayers as money for infrastructure and shovel ready projects. We spent about 30 billion on bridges.

It's a priority only until the money is available and then we find better stuff to spend it on.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that more ladies graduate college and have jobs now than men.

I mean, it could be a "hurr modern woman suck" or that ladies don't have to cook because they're making more money than their husbands/boyfriends.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So how many militia members are we talking about? I've heard estimates ranging from 15 to 150. Regardless of how stupid they may be, it's not easy to provision that many men on short notice. Odds are some of them were very prepared, but all their supplies are now being divided up between people who came wearing wife-beaters and carrying a case of beer.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Filox posted:

Then tell us, how hard is it to provision a dozen or so nutjobs? I mean, we manage it just fine every couple years when we have a family reunion for two dozen or more. Of course we only "provision" for a week or so, because if the fam-damily stay longer than that, we're running away.

The Guardian newspaper actually got a look at their supplies:

Bundy has repeatedly said the group is prepared for the long-haul. However during a tour of the site on earlier in the day, the Guardian was shown a food storage room that did not look like it could sustain a dozen men for more than a few weeks.

It included a cardboard box of apples and oranges, a few dozen pots of instant ramen, 24 cans of chicken noodle soup, a similar number of cans of sweetcorn, peas, beans and chili, and 20 boxes of macaroni and cheese.

There were also three sacks of potatoes, one bag of flour, another of rolled oats, boxes of raisins, a single bag of pretzels and one granola bar.

I'd probably be more concerned about water. This is a remote area so I have no idea if they have city water or wells or if it's trucked in and stored. If it's a well or spring they might have an electric pump that's going to useless once the Feds shut the power. They can still collect water to boil, but that takes forever and they're going to need a lot of H2O to make that mac n'cheese. And I'll bet that soup is condensed too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Roblo posted:

Does it look to anyone else that they've changed '2015' to '2016' because it turns out Obama forgot to declare martial law last year.

Looks like a different size text.

Oh he didn't forget.

We can thank Governor Gregg Abbott for stopping Jade Helm.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

It is widely known that comment sections are where reason and logic go to die a painful death. Just read any comments section on any news article and try make sense of the mental gymnastics people do on them. The funny thing is that people who leave comments are so eager to express their opinion that they will leave such comments on sites/articles that don't even relate to their opinion.

Let's do a money tree! Can't. Obama chopped down all the money trees. THERE I SAID IT!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Saw this poo poo on the Daily Show where they showed clips of Fox News attacking the president for crying when talking about dead kids. It is remarkable how out of the way people would go to make compassion look bad. You would think that their would be some introspection, like you don't have to like the president but at least acknowledge that when he is talking about dead children and crying that isn't a bad thing.

And yet Putin gets no grief for crying.

I think that was during the Soviet national anthem or something though. So maybe tears of joy are cool.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There was also a Swedish report supposedly linking crime more to poverty than guns, but it was in Swedish, and I can't read Swedish, so I can't vouch for the methodology or anything. I'd like to think so, although the party in the US opposing gun control is the same one opposing social safety nets to break the cycle of poverty. Unless we try to bring in refugees, then they start complaining about the homeless veterans they screw over the rest of the time.

Makes sense. New Hampshire (7th richest state) has 1/10th the homicide rate of Mississippi (poorest state).

Both states have lots of guns, but New Hampshire is as safe as the safest European country whereas Mississippi is loving Thunderdome.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Trying to apply current standards to sexual practices in the 1970's is probably like comparing industrial age labor laws with employment rules now.

It's best to just acknowledge that most people you admire or like from that era never got the consent speech at college orientation.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm torn on whether beards + tires is a bad thing or not. On one hand it's good to know the most basic car repair and maintenance. But it's a terrible example because tires rarely need changing anymore and I can guarantee you my Nazi killing grandfather would have loved Fix-a-Flat.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's almost like there was a large economic shift within the last decade that significantly impaired this generation's prospects for car ownership!

Wait, is that a thing? Are 20 somethings literally unable to afford cars in a country where 96% of poor people own refrigerators? Is that why they love Uber so much?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

ohh boomers :allears:

Really, If we wanted to mock millennials over their choice of song lyrics then I'd pick that loving Green Day graduation song.

And while we're mocking a generation for being misguided about ages, let's forget Boomers told us not trust anyone over 30.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My country has pulled a lot of sick poo poo. But at least we weren't Belgium.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CodfishCartographer posted:

Why do so many crazy conservatives say that Hilary should be put in jail? I see this so often and I have no idea why.

Aside form sexism, I mean.

There's a law covering how you handle classified documents. General Petraeus got convicted and received a couple of years probation for it. Clinton era advisor Sandy Berger got 2 years probation as well when he was caught destroying classified documents.

So you don't go to jail, but you do lose your security clearance. That probably wouldn't make someone ineligible for office though. Be kind of funny if you were a D.C. probation officer and the President had to visit you every month.

But yeah, important men get convicted of this and there's enough evidence to warrant an investigation. So not really sexism.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

robotsinmyhead posted:

They just push the goalposts every time. Benghazi investigation proves nothing == Clinton is a mastermind at hiding the truth. Email scandal is marginal, at best == Clinton is a mastermind at hiding the truth.

If politicians were a quarter as devious and Machiavellian as their opponents want you to believe, we would have, at some point, had an actual real-life Supervillian as president.

Eh, I kind of neutral on the issue of the classified documents. Nothing sent to her was Earth-shatteringly important. I'm more concerned with her reasons for doing it in the first place. Best explanation I've heard is that she wanted to avoid Freedom of Information Act access. You'd think her opponents would play that up since it makes her look really sketchy, especially to her Democratic base. But alas, we're stuck with Clinton Lied Ambassador Died.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Leon Einstein posted:

Come to Milwaukee. We have Irish fest, German fest, polish fest, Greek fest, etc. People that think white people are somehow restricted from celebrating aspects of their culture are stupid af and not looking very hard.

Look at this guy, calling the Irish and the Greeks White.

The Greeks were White back when they discovered civilization. It went downhill from there.

The Irish? Not so much.

And don't even get me started on the Finns.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That looks more like a hospital waiting room to me.

Granted it says a lot about somebody that just assumes by default a black person in a waiting room is waiting for welfare. Sorry but not every black person in America gets food stamps, bucko. There are many buildings with lobbies in places you'll have to wait like, well, dentist's offices, primary care providers, the DMV, driver's license places, office buildings. Hell the lady might have been waiting for an interview for all we know.

But nope, black person waiting! Must be welfare.

The chairs, the glass display cases with various laws and regulations displayed...yeah that's an employment labor office or maybe a public assistance building (do we even have 'welfare' offices anymore)?

I'm just trying to figure out who took the picture. They're in the same waiting room. I certainly hope they snapped that shot using a lovely Android phone while wearing durable low-cost apparel from the Sears Outlet store and hauling their belongings in a tasteful hobo bindle.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Someone tell Sam Smith, Daft Punk, Robin Thicke, Eminem and Justin Bieber that their BET Award nominations/wins don't count I guess.

Ed Sheeran won an award for Most Important Act in Black & Urban Music.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Same question but global climate change deniers. What do those dirty liberals gain? Dirty windmill money?

Are they arguing because liberals are a thing they hate and will oppose literally everything they support for no reason?

There is a lot of money in climate regulation, research, and carbon credits.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

I thought nuclear plants were fine but the problem is that when you say 'nuclear plant' people think Chernobyl and that keeps us from utilizing it as a source of power?

Nuclear is relatively clean as long as you have some place in the desert to stick all your spent rods. And you don't build your reactors on a fault line and/or near the ocean. Or let the Russians run safety tests.

Switching from coal to natural gas did a whole lot more to lower pollution than trying to build more nuclear power plants. But you get all that cheap, clean natural gas via fracking.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hyperhazard posted:

Right, it was the forever part that got me. It was basically missing the forest for the trees.

There's so much coal underground that we would probably die of black lung before we could use it all.

The civilization that rises from the ashes of our own will never lack for coal.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Puppy Time posted:

Nah, it just gets tiresome seeing the same "If fat then diet and exercise and then magically thin as a model!" as though different body types and metabolism aren't a thing. Like yeah you'll lose weight but unless you're super athletic and on a severe diet, you're probably going to hit a certain plateau, and that plateau is usually not "looks like a clothing model."

Also I really hate the "physics!" argument, since it ignores that the body has a lot of various things going on, so it's not like putting fuel in a car. Cars don't react to less fuel by reducing the amount burned and storing as much as possible.

Actually cars might be a good analogy since they burn their gasoline at wildly different levels. You can fine tune your pickup truck, get it detailed, maybe add a racing stripe - make it look drat good. But it's never going to be a Prius.

I should put that in an image macro, save and resave it 20 times in a lossy format, add a Minion, and post that poo poo to Facebook.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fatkraken posted:

A lot of weight loss plateaus are actually just water weight, the subject is still losing fat but because the scale weight stays the same for weeks or months they assume they are not so give up, big water retention plateaus are probably more common and severe on larger calorie deficits. There are *some* differences between the metabolic rates of different people, but far less than you might think, and never insurmountable. I've heard +/- about 10% bandied around, about 300 calories (one candy bar/30 minutes jogging) a day.

I was more referring to people's body types. As in legitimately big boned people trying to become pixies. It's not going to happen, but there are plenty of people who beat themselves up over it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Snoo posted:

If it worked as a punishment, then they wouldn't have to do it more than once. :shrug: (it never works out that way, funny)

Worked on my oldest child. I spanked her once. In the ten years since she's never done anything so wrong as to require a physical response. Whether that's the exception that proves or disproves the rule I don't know.

It's a tough debate because how you discipline is very subjective, until it's objective, and then it's often too late.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i get it... you spank

Well, not anymore.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

It's neither. Anecdotes aren't evidence.

If I've learned anything from the internet, it's that anecdotes are as good as hard evidence.

#notallspankers