Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

BigglesSWE posted:

The stuff about Canadians being so nice is just a weird stereotype, but as stereotypes go, being accused of being "nice" is probably one of the more tolerable ones.

I'm curious tho, what's the general consensus on us swedes? According to Polanball we're a bunch of homosexual Muslims, but I dunno if that is representative of the general picture.

You guys and gals made some awesome red gummy candy in the shape of a fish and bork bork bork, bork bork. Bork bork bork, bork bork bork bork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rondette posted:

I just totally nicked that

Good god, I can already hear the impotent screaming of thousands of bigots

"THAT WAS DIFFERENT BECAUSE JESUS WAS WHITE AND NOT AN AL KAYDA ISIS MOOSLIM"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Let's talk about instead this bakery that dared to create some unique pastry and somehow became a social media nightmare factory due to the current self-entitlement culture

http://says.com/my/news/much-ado-about-salted-egg-yolk-croissant-at-le-bread-days-ss2

Haha what? People were mad that they didn't get a pastry some person recommended on the Internet so they ran online and left bad reviews of the business?

0/10 I WILL NEVER EAT THEIR AGAIN, IT WAS BAD AND I AM SO MADE THEY DIDNT HAVE THAT PASRY THING I WASNT EVEN AWARE OF UNTIL JUST THIS MORNING BUT FOR SOME REASON HADE TO EAT IMMEDIATELY

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wow, you know a real life "lizard people are controlling thhe world" conspiracy theorist. I thought those exusted only in jokes.

I thought everybody knew at least one. :shrug:

A "friend" of mine denies the moon landing, thinks a singular secret world government exists that is consisted of subterranean lizard-men, is sure jets are spraying mind-control chemicals all over us constantly, and knows for a fact that fluoride is added to municipal tap water in order to make us docile and subservient.

He once asked me to run a "statistical analysis" on "data" he'd collected because I'd told him at one point that one of my focuses in grad school was quantitative analysis. Dude had recorded the nightly news every night for a month and wanted me to try to detect recurring patterns in the waveforms produced by the anchors reading the news. "There's some patterns that the conscious can't pick up on," he explained, "but the subconscious totally can."

And yes, he smokes bales of pot (it's ~natural~, unlike vaccines and fortified bread), why do you ask

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Antifreeze Head posted:

Arsenic is also natural. In fact, it is so pure that it is an element, not one of those dirty chemical compounds. Invite him to eat his fill.

When he starts that poo poo, I usually go with "Poison ivy is a natural plant, so it should be OK to smoke it, too. I know where you can find some."

I don't mean to talk too much poo poo--he's a pretty good guy, just has some strange ideas about things. When his daughter was born, he did actually vaccinate her, but mostly because a bunch of us got together and essentially threatened to ostracize him permanently if she didn't get her shots.

"That's just BIG PHARMA taking our money."

"Dude, the health department gives them out for free. Make a goddamn appointment."

"But the state puts mind control chemicals in vaccines!"

"YOU HAVE A SMALLPOX VACCINATION SCAR ON YOUR ARM AND NOBODY, INCLUDING YOU, IS CONTROLLING YOUR MIND, TAKE YOUR DAUGHTER IN OR SHE WILL DIE YOU DUMB poo poo"

Usually 'round here we see posts about shoving things up Radium's rear end, not the other way around

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
"He tells it like it is" = "I agree with the horrible racist, bigoted, misogynistic poo poo he says"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Forgall posted:

This thread makes me want to loving die. Who are those people? Why are they allowed to exist?

People who would've been racist/bigoted/misogynistic/ignorant in the privacy of their own homes or amongst friends if not for the ability to quickly and easily scream dumb poo poo over the Internet for everyone to hear :eng99:

The IoSM killing me right now are the people who honestly believe that Obama's mooslem shocktroopers are coming to take are guns.

Everything is about the guns.

Mass shooting? Staged in order to convince everyone to pass gun control legislation. Regularly-scheduled military training exercises? Secret gun-seizing training. Politician said "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas?" First they take Christ out of Christmas, next they'll take our guns. Gas prices go up? Government is secretly limiting supply in order to cut down on the amount of gunpowder available for are guns. New highway being built outside of town? Obummer's shocktroopers need a nice wide roadway for when they roll into our town to take are guns. McDonald's "All-Day Breakfast" is just pancakes and McMuffins? Makes u think.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

OptimusShr posted:

God I wish I knew about this thread earlier. Apologies if these are repeats:

Finally, someone who shares my love of the words "TED STATES OFAM"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Madkal posted:

I know someone who pulls this poo poo too. He will say something racist as gently caress and then say "unfortunately I can't say this in public because of the PC police, but it's all true. There are facts backing it up". An example of this is when he said "Blacks are less intelligent and more lazy than white people. It's true. Studies have shown it, but you can't say that because the PC police will label you a racist even if it's true".

"Whatdya mean 'You're racist?' Studies prove that they're just not as motivated or smart. Studies also prove that their bodies are better built for physical activity, and that's why there are so many black athletes. Ergo ipso facto I can't be racist, I just said something nice about the gentle negro"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Who is telling these people they need to be PC anyway

Does someone like call them up or do they send a letter via registered mail or is it an online thing like a change.org petition

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

EZipperelli posted:

Is there/have there been any studies showing conservatism being linked to lower intelligence (based on school performance and grading)/low socio-economic areas or higher rates of poverty?

I know we've all seen the map of red states being primarily in the southern US, and the general lower income levels and lower rated education systems, but has there ever been any definitive study on this?

It always amuses me that Republicans seem to prey on the poor/less intelligent for votes by exploiting their inherent racism/classism/whatever-ism, yet completely and totally pander to the wealthy, and poo poo all over the poor.

I can't point to anything specific to answer your question, but I'm 100% sure the data are out there somewhere. Obviously, be careful tossing out statements like "the numbers don't lie--conservatives are fuckin' dumb," as counterarguments on social media (wouldn't want someone making GBS threads on your doorstep or worse) but it would be a pretty simple exercise in basic statistical analysis to work the data real quick.

Political scientists have been trying to figure this whole "goddamnit why are people voting against their own best interest over and over again" thing out for ages. What's the Matter with Kansas? is a good read if you want to dive right in and join the rest of us in being befuddled :toot:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I didn't know what an undertale was or why it was so popular so I asked some dork friends of mine a while back. Nobody could describe it without gushing about Earthbound, so I'm guessing both sides of this dumb "debate" (read: "group of grown-rear end men screaming at each other on the Internet about which vidjagame is the bestest") are populated by insufferable people who are filled with rage because someone is challenging their nostalgic love of an old game.

(cue heckler from the audience: "The fact that it's on GameFAQs wasn't your first clue??!?!")

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Takoluka posted:

Undertale is where the Homestuck fandom went.

Puppy Time posted:

This is 100% true.

How do I join the War Against Undertale Fans

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Looking at the brackets of nerd-favorite games that it beat head-to-head, there have to be tons of angry neckbeards out there, fingers an orange blur at their filthy keyboards.

"How could you DO this? Pokemon Red and Blue are CLASSICS. Understale is a low-rent Earthbound knockoff that only little kids play! I AM SO loving ANG sorry mom yeah i'll be up for dinner soon, just finishing a job application"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

TinTower posted:

And the Doctor Who wiki had an article about sex, I believe.

Was it just a blank page

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Telegnostic posted:

I just did a search and learned that there are in fact four states where you cannot be fired for legal, non-work-related activities, including voting. So you're right, at least for people lucky enough to live in New York, California, Colorado, or North Dakota.

Eh, that just means that in those states, jerk employers just put "not a good fit" or some other innocuous reason on the form instead of "voted for that LIEberal Hussein Obummer" as the reason for termination.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
"Look, at-will employment works just as much for me, your boss, as it does for you, my employee. Yes, I can technically let you go without cause at any time, but you have the freedom to leave at any time! Isn't that great? Just make sure you give notice and continue working for at least two weeks after you do so or I'll make sure you're unemployable in this town!"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The Saddest Rhino posted:

speaking of "MILLENNIALS!!!" a friend just linked me to the most amazing/tryhard article about how terrible this generation is http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/01/08/boomers-millennials-workforce/#Ip29IWACltoXGkBz.99

the writer is also a TERF

Argh good lord this is the worst thing I've read in months

What planet does the author live on?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The premise of this one is plausible if we assume the schools were parochial, but I bet his art was so bad the teachers were outright dismissive of it and that he was a creepy jackass, and that's why he had someone follow him around to make sure he stayed in line and didn't leer at the girls too much. And I'd be willing to bet money that "stay away from my girls" was a direct result of being called into the headmistress' office for unwanted touching after trying to give the girls backrubs or something

Wait, er, I mean, it's all the fault of FEMALES and men are just as oppressed, it was the FEMALES' fault that he failed art class and couldn't go to art school

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Holy poo poo, I actually stopped there to gas up and grab a bite on my way south earlier this month. While I didn't see any self-important white girls emptying out the towel dispensers (or facebooking about it after-the-fact while parked in front of the pumps), the staff was super friendly, and they make a mean gyro.

:): "God help you and have a nice day"

:byodame:: "YOU HATEFUL BITCH"

Also, ya gotta love when "Do you even know who you're talking to?" comes up. Always a legit tactic in adult discussions, along with threatening to call "immigration" when the person you feel has slighted you looks to be vaguely ethic.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is it Casey Anthony?

We have a winner :yotj:

edit: found a more appropriate smiley

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Jan 20, 2016

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ratbert90 posted:

Eh, probably; but there wasn't enough evidence to convict her so legally she didn't.

Legally, no, but the lack of a conviction doesn't change the fact that she 100% killed her child so she could go back to a life of partying, and she'd be in prison right now if the prosecution hadn't gotten greedy and just settled for a lesser charge.

goose fleet posted:

Poor people aren't allowed to have any kind of luxury items whatsoever or enjoy their lives at all SHARE IF YOU AGREE XD XD XD

She probably eats name-brand cereal bought with food stamps for breakfast, fuckin' entitled thug

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

This is mindbogglingly stupid even for a fake IQ test. So many things wrong with it.

Oh now come on, this has to be a joke

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Grey Fox posted:

Dear Richard

:suspense:

Indolent Bastard posted:

Oh those nasty "toxins" everyone hates them, yet nobody can tell you what they are.

I love how asking a simple question like "what are toxins?" makes these people freeze up.

"They're bad things in our environment."

"Okay, what bad things, specifically?"

"...look, I don't have time to do the research for you, just google it"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Lottery of Babylon posted:

a few fags, and homos literally changing the landscape…….

So, are they hiring contractors, or are they actually the crews driving the excavators and backhoes and dump trucks and stuff

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Throwing Turtles posted:

That's the food babe. She's kind of special.

Goddamn fast food places, putting NATURAL loving FLAVORS in their food

wake up, sheeple

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CommonShore posted:

THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ARTIFICIAL MSG AND THE MSG IN A TOMATO.

What is it?

THERE'S A DIFFERENCE!

THE RESEARCH IS OUT THERE. I'M NOT GOING TO GO FIND IT FOR YOU, GOOGLE IT YOURSELF

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I had no idea what a Gunerkreg Court was so I googled it. Holy poo poo, how can someone be so goddamn mad about a webcomic

"Whoops, sorry I didn't draw your favorite characters making out. I guess I deserve to be called a 'cowardly loving bitch,' a 'weak goddamn writer,' and a prick."

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Laverne Cox as bond.

I'd pay $12.50 to see this and I'd buy a jumbo popcorn and soda, too, just to support the endeavor in whatever small ways I could

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Dogfish posted:

"hey maybe it's a little alienating when everyone is talking about a dominant cultural thing that you know nothing about"

Yeah, that got my goat, too. Trying to play the victim because you don't watch football?

gently caress, dude, just google it. Or ask one of the millions of people talking about it what it's all about. Or, I dunno, watch the goddamn game and see if you can figure out what's going on. Really, just do literally anything but pout because people are discussing something you haven't taken the (extremely minor amount of) time to learn about.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RFC2324 posted:

I was going to mention that, with just a few exceptions, sports fans are pretty happy to explain poo poo to you if you just ask.

Yeah, but then you have to, like, interact with another human being, and that poo poo's hard.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Being automatically dismissive about something someone likes is easier than spending five minutes a week keeping track of a random team so you have something to talk to your coworkers and friends about when sportschat comes up, so I can see why wet blankets/the socially inept do it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Dude's obviously mistaken you for his mother

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

to be fair I didn't think anyone outside of America liked Bruce Springsteen

Hell, for the longest time I didn't think anyone inside America liked Springsteen. Figured he was just somebody we had to tolerate.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

nerd plus rage posted:

Re: Smurfchat

I had a stranger drunkenly explain to me one night at a bar when I was in college (get a bunch of young guys who don't know each other together and eventually they'll start talking about cartoons they watched as kids, it's a scientific fact) that the smurfs were totally communists, living happily together off the land and sharing everything together. No smurf used his skills or talents to rise above the others (e.g. Brainy didn't withhold solutions to problems from other smurfs, Handy didn't build all the cool poo poo for himself) and they all got along well.

Gargamel, with his huge nose and dark hair, was apparently supposed to represent the Jews, who covetously sought to convert the labor of the working smurfs into gold through deception and dark arts.

Actually I should make an image macro of this and put it on social media because I bet it'll get a bazillion shares

edit:

quote:

A friend of ours, the wife of a pastor at a church in Colorado, had once told me about something her daughter, Hannah, said when she was three years old. After the morning service was over one Sunday, Hannah tugged on her mom’s skirt and asked. “Mommy, why do some people in church have lights over their heads and some don’t?” At the time, I remember thinking two things: First, I would’ve knelt down and asked Hannah, “Did I have a light over my head? Please say yes!” I also wondered what Hannah had seen, and whether she had seen it because, like my son, she had a childlike faith.

kid's obviously a budding interior designer, wondering why the church had so few light fixtures

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 23:20 on Feb 17, 2016

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Clochette posted:

loving Make-a-wish, discriminating again healthy children. :mad:

Hooooooooly poo poo :stare:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kit Walker posted:

Like why even lie about having an IQ of 270?

Haha that's almost six standard deviations from the mean

None of these people know what IQ is, what it attempts to measure, or what problems may arise from describing "intelligence" with a single number. I'm hoping to the almighty that they're all awkward teenagers grasping for anything they can cling to during the turbulent years, and that they'll eventually grow out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Boing posted:

Over 11 standard deviations, by definition :eng101: (:psy101:?)

Look, my IQ is only 265. My highly-intelligent mind was distracted pondering, posting what my IQ is on the Internet, insulting MENSA, and watching anime.

Boing posted:

My psychometrician measured my I.Q. at 103 using the WAIS scale. I told him several times that he must have made an error

"THIS TEST I TOOK ON THE INTERNET SAID IT WAS WAY HIGHER! YOU'RE WRONG, TRAINED AND EDUCATED PROFESSIONAL USING LEGITIMATE TOOLS!"