Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a live page from The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/nov/13/shootings-reported-in-eastern-paris-live

And one from La Liberation: http://www.liberation.fr/france/2015/11/13/fusillade-dans-le-10e-arrondissement-de-paris_1413313

http://www.france24.com/en/livefeed

Joementum fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Ok so

One man opened fire with an automatic weapon at Petit Cambodge Restaurabt in the 11th district. 4-10 deaths here, situation at point where first responders are treating some/moving bodies, could be secured or could be locked down and ongoing UPDATE edit: suspect fled scene

Another man took opened fire with a gun and took hostages at Bataclan arts centre. Not seeing firm numbers on deaths/injuries but appears to be the rest of the 18. Situation ongoing

3 explosions reported near the stadium. No numbers on deaths or injuries yet, early reports say grenades (?), appears to be most chaotic and fewest details, president evacuated.

If this isn't coordinated I will be surprised

Source for all this is bbc

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
A live news feed from Paris in English.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
my main hunch would be ISIS or some sub-group of theirs. Though it could be a french right wing group.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Well, terrorists are holding hostages in a concert hall.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Even if it's not ISIS they will take responsibility if they want and people will eat it up since they are the new terrorist boogeyman

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It's what, 10 PM there? Probably a lot of people out and about just enjoying the start of their weekend. :(

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

https://twitter.com/MsJulieLenarz

You can hear the explosion inside the soccer stadium

https://vine.co/v/iBb2x00UVlv

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

11 PM, started less than an hour ago apparently

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Litany Unheard posted:

It's what, 10 PM there? Probably a lot of people out and about just enjoying the start of their weekend. :(

Yes, and the 10th and 11th arrondissement in particular are heavily populated at this time of night, lots of bars.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
A collection of posts about what's happening:

Honj Steak posted:

At least 7 injured, also explosions. You could hear it in the TV broadcast of France-Germany which is happening in the Stade de France right now. People are not allowed to leave the stadium.

MothraAttack posted:

President Hollande was at the stadium and has been evacuated, apparently.

sparatuvs posted:

I'm co-opting this thread for updates until it gets proven to not be ISIS
French special policy are apparently assaulting the 11th district now.

e: 18 dead according to AP

LeoMarr posted:

Apparently the stadium explosions were HE grenades.

Luigi Thirty posted:

reports indicate they've taken hostages at a disco. Welp

Kro-Bar posted:

gently caress, you're right. :(

Can anyone translate?

Apparently ISIL twitter is blowing up right now, so it's looking very possible that ISIL or an ISIL-affiliated group is responsible.

Some context for this for non-Middle East thread readers: ISIL did another suicide attack that killed 43 people in a Shia/Hezbollah neighborhood in Beirut, Lebanon a couple days ago because Hezbollah is supporting Assad.

ISIL also just got their asses handed to them with defeats in Sinjar and Al Hawl, as well as Jihadi John being killed, and they're mad about it. ISIL tends to be sore losers, they did a super deadly suicide attack (200+ killed) on Kobani after they lost Tal Abyad.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Wonder if any connection to the Beirut bombings, are they going to be trying to activate a bunch of sleeper cells or something?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Winkie01 posted:

https://twitter.com/MsJulieLenarz

You can hear the explosion inside the soccer stadium

https://vine.co/v/iBb2x00UVlv

drat, it looks like they are just walking down the street, shooting everyone, and some of the bodies look pretty small :(

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Targets are seemingly random, except for the stadium (where François Hollande was present, but he was likely not a target). At the Bataclan theatre, the show was something called Eagles of Death Metal, so not relevant to anything.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Guns.

Edit: Explosives.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
God drat. At least 18 dead at this point.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Targets are seemingly random, except for the stadium (where François Hollande was present, but he was likely not a target). At the Bataclan theatre, the show was something called Eagles of Death Metal, so not relevant to anything.

The Eagles of Death Metal are a pretty good band. Hope everyone there gets out alright.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wonder how this will affect, if at all, the COPE talks in Paris later this year,

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Even if it's not ISIS they will take responsibility if they want and people will eat it up since they are the new terrorist boogeyman

They are a boogeyman in that they actually do terrorism. Yes.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

sparatuvs posted:

30 dead as of ap

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Eagles of Death Metal are a pretty good band. Hope everyone there gets out alright.

People are still held hostage there it seems. We're not sure.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wonder how this will affect, if at all, the COPE talks in Paris later this year,

Shiiiit never thought about that

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/665284746239418370

Supposedly 60 hostages in the concert hall? Jesus

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Jack's Flow posted:

God drat. At least 18 dead at this point.

Up to 26 now

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
We should probably up security in major cities at home before, well...now. 5pm EST.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Goddamit. I might have relatives over there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

They are a boogeyman in that they actually do terrorism. Yes.

they honestly are. They commit hosed up atrocities that were common in the middle ages/ out of movies and comic books.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's going to be a long night, again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Goddamit. I might have relatives over there.

hope they are ok :(

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So ISIS game plan seems to be "You kick our rear end in the desert, we activate our sleepers in random cities".

Isn't Charlie Hebdo also in the 11th?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
My work has post docs at a conference in Paris.

Not in the 11th, but it seems the shooters are on the run.

gently caress, if this really becomes a targeted military attack the world is going to go crazy.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

So ISIS game plan seems to be "You kick our rear end in the desert, we activate our sleepers in random cities".

Correct. It's actually close by (not super close, but a few blocks from) the Bataclan where hostages have been taken.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

Their former offices used to be there but afaik they're elsewhere now.

No idea on how many perpetrators there are.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Crain posted:

gently caress, if this really becomes a targeted military attack the world is going to go crazy.

Here's hoping it's the only attack.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Crain posted:

I don't know what drum you're trying to beat, but there is no way this is actually some sort of ISIS-led military attack. Not any more than the dozens (hundreds?) of other terrorist attacks they've made in the past years.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

You can hear one of the explosions in this vid: https://vine.co/v/iBb2x00UVlv

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Are you saying no one is dead and there is mass hugging going on?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Holy poo poo I know the bass player and band for Eagles of Death metal.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

fade5 posted:

A collection of posts about what's happening:

(PICTURE OF TWEETS IN FRENCH)

Apparently ISIL twitter is blowing up right now, so it's looking very possible that ISIL or an ISIL-affiliated group is responsible.

Some context for this for non-Middle East thread readers: ISIL did another suicide attack that killed 43 people in a Shia/Hezbollah neighborhood in Beirut, Lebanon a couple days ago because Hezbollah is supporting Assad.

ISIL also just got their asses handed to them with defeats in Sinjar and Al Hawl, as well as Jihadi John being killed, and they're mad about it. ISIL tends to be sore losers, they did a super deadly suicide attack (200+ killed) on Kobani after they lost Tal Abyad.

Tweet translation:

FIRST: Some blood - (police) intervention in progress. Extreme nervousness - soldiers and police seen bearing arms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Rollofthedice posted:

I don't know what drum you're trying to beat, but there is no way this is actually some sort of ISIS-led military attack. Not any more than the dozens (hundreds?) of other terrorist attacks they've made in the past years.

I'm not trying to beat a drum, but we know how these things play out.

• Locked thread