Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

The goonslinger surveys the scene. His whole life has been leading up to this moment. The terrorists haven't seen him, and with his expert marksmanship, it should only be a matter of - oh, never mind, he got capped by one of eight panicking dudes with handguns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

gun

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Zas posted:

The goonslinger surveys the scene. His whole life has been leading up to this moment. The terrorists haven't seen him, and with his expert marksmanship, it should only be a matter of - oh, never mind, he got capped by one of eight panicking dudes with handguns

just post

and be done with it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Excelzior posted:

just post

and be done with it

Or the reverse:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/texas-good-guy-with-a-gun-shoots-carjacking-victim-in-head-then-runs-away/

article posted:

Texas ‘good guy with a gun’ shoots carjacking victim in head — then runs away

Houston police say that an armed man’s attempt to stop a carjacking went terribly wrong on Saturday night when he shot the vehicle’s owner in the head, then fled the scene.

According to KHOU Channel 11 News, the shooting took place around 11:15 p.m. at a Valero gas station in north Houston.

Police officials say that two men jumped the owner of a Chevrolet pickup truck and absconded with his vehicle.

As the men struggled with the car-owner, a passerby produced a gun and fired multiple shots, missing the thieves but striking the victim in the head.

The shooter quickly gathered up his shell casings from the pavement and fled the scene.

The injured man was rushed to a nearby hospital where he is currently in stable condition.

Police recovered the stolen truck about two miles from where the shooting took place. No suspects have been apprehended in the theft or the shooting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cat Mattress posted:

Scenario assumes cops are like the cliché English bobbies, no weapons except at most a baton. French police (and gendarmes, riot brigades, etc.) have guns. And grenades.

Sure, if you don't really think about it. Supposing you're a hero worthy of being the protagonist in a fantasy novel. You're going to a live concert. Do you:
- leave your gun at home because you assume security won't let you go through with a gun?
- actually decide to go to a crowded concert room where you know they let people carry firearms?

I read somewhere, that knives are better for personal self defense because of stupid poo poo like that.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I read somewhere, that knives are better for personal self defense because of stupid poo poo like that.

If your plan is to kill a dude then knives are what you want. Self-defence, e.g. not getting yourself hurt is not what knives are for.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

GUN

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

If the driver had a gun, that wouldn't have happened.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Subjunctive posted:

Pick the right town and the right high school graduation or football game (or gun show!) and you can probably max out the effectiveness of a bomb vest.

I think we're a ways from the small town attack. I'd imagine that would be a target after we've been desensitized to years of attacks. There are plenty of first tier US cities that haven't been attacked. And then there are 2nd tier cities to work through. Small rural nowhere towns are simply not a priority when you can get a similar effect in a 2nd tier city with somewhat better name recognition.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Skellybones posted:

If the driver had a gun, that wouldn't have happened.

Honestly if that driver HAD got one in his dashboard or something I'd have probably pissed myself laughing.

After the initial horror I had at hearing he'd been shot in the head (but thankfully survived).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't know... If they're all about the infidels and how they have to die, you'd expect them to set fire everywhere. If you get the police forces to disperse all over the place, you'd also have it easier to attack more of those big symbolic places.

While there are probably groups that legitimately are about how the infidels all need to convert or die, ISIL is not that group. It's much more authoritarian power tripping with "Islamic law" as the excuse used to justify it rather than a group trying to enforce an ideology with authoritarianism. They barely even pretend to practice what they preach and do all kinds of blatantly hypocritical stuff like executing woman dentists who work on men while al-Baghdadi's personal doctor is a woman.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think we're a ways from the small town attack. I'd imagine that would be a target after we've been desensitized to years of attacks. There are plenty of first tier US cities that haven't been attacked. And then there are 2nd tier cities to work through. Small rural nowhere towns are simply not a priority when you can get a similar effect in a 2nd tier city with somewhat better name recognition.

As I posted previously, there is a propaganda benefit to hitting smaller or 'less relevant' areas as it creates a fear of 'foreigners' in small villages way, way up and drives (in this case) Islamophobia through the roof, aiding the Daesh recruitment plan.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

While there are probably groups that legitimately are about how the infidels all need to convert or die, ISIL is not that group. It's much more authoritarian power tripping with "Islamic law" as the excuse used to justify it rather than a group trying to enforce an ideology with authoritarianism. They barely even pretend to practice what they preach and do all kinds of blatantly hypocritical stuff like executing woman dentists who work on men while al-Baghdadi's personal doctor is a woman.

I viewed the recent ISIS attacks as extremely neihlistic. No political demands really just loving carnage.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

I viewed the recent ISIS attacks as extremely neihlistic. No political demands really just loving carnage.

Which attacks? All the ones in the past two weeks have seemed pretty goal-oriented.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Warbadger posted:

Well, to be fair it was a text book "if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns" kind of scenario. France is very, very restrictive with civilian firearm ownership and use. The guns used in the attack would have been illegal practically anywhere on the planet and nobody involved was using a gun for self defense anyways. If anything it's the sort of thing that could convince someone that they may actually want a weapon around to defend themselves.

Getting firearms is not that hard in France. Shotguns and rifles with capacity less than 3 rounds don't even require permits,just a simple sport or hunting licence. Shotties and hunting rifles are fairly common in the countryside.

I've never understood how many European countries that are littered witH firearms are deemed to have "strict policies" when it's basically about getting a class, a theory course, some checks and a couple of papers from the doctor.

Strict places are places where getting a weapon is by default not permissible.
Fully automatic rifles just aren't really legal anywhere.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 22, 2015

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Fully automatic rifles just aren't really legal anywhere.

The obvious solution is to make suicide 'belts' illegal, right?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

LeJackal posted:

Or legal as long as you don't hurt anyone else.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bip Roberts posted:

Or legal as long as you don't hurt anyone else.

Just require a psychological evaluation before issuing suicide belt permissions, tha'll solve it.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LeJackal posted:

Obviously, the way to deal with the threat of terrorism is to legalize private ownership of suicide belts. If owning suicide belts is considered a terrorist crime, then only terrorists will have suicide belts. Don't let the belt grabbers stop you from protecting yourself!

Vahakyla posted:

I've never understood how many European countries that are littered witH firearms are deemed to have "strict policies" when it's basically about getting a class, a theory course, some checks and a couple of papers from the doctor.

Paris had nothing to do with internal French firearms control policies and everything to do with the fact that millions of Russian-made small arms are sloshing around Eastern Europe from the Yugoslav wars along with the fact that as a result of Schengen the EU depends on the security services of Slovakia and Croatia being both able and willing to shut down the black market arms trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

• Locked thread