Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

A pathway to Europe that often involves dying on a sinking ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think either way they are using the refugee pathway to gain entry into the EU. Honestly that's going to draw criticism for the refugee process because it can be demonstrated that terrorists used it as a pathway to their targets.

If an EU citizen takes a train or something from France or Belgium down to Greece, walks into the intake center with a group of refugees and gets processed with fake papers, then heads back home, how is that them using it to gain entry to the EU? That seems like a much easier way for them to cause a refugee scare than actually trying to get someone through the normal refugee routes.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If an EU citizen takes a train or something from France or Belgium down to Greece, walks into the intake center with a group of refugees and gets processed with fake papers, then heads back home, how is that them using it to gain entry to the EU? That seems like a much easier way for them to cause a refugee scare than actually trying to get someone through the normal refugee routes.

How many times has that happened, A Fancy 400 lbs? Might as well ask what if an EU citizen rockets themselves into space, has a splashdown in the mediteranian, and after a Homeric journey registers themselves in Greece.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Yeah I'm sure they're super concerned about that.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Is this what happened?

Entering from outside (say Syria) as a refugee with a fake passport allows them to avoid being detected as "those guys who went to Syria for a year in the middle of a civil war".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The thing is that's it's very likely they were actually coming back from Syria. Some went back as normal EU citizens through Turkey; but at least one, for propaganda purposes, took the refugee route, and made sure to broadcast "look I'm a refugee like all others; all other refugees are like me".

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I imagine that ISIS could arrange transport on a well-maintained boat that is not likely to sink if they so desired.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
But what do the fine upstanding individuals at Rapeman think about this?

Oh

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

khwarezm posted:

Doesn't trophy hunting tend to have the problem that, unlike natural predation, it tends to target the biggest, most impressive specimens that would otherwise be the most successful breeders and remove them from the population? Its leads to a pretty detrimental effect on the health of a population of animals over time.
Like any other form of nonrandom hunting/gathering (e.g. restrictions on too-fine nets have led to fish evolving to become smaller). It wouldn't necessarily affect the health of the population as long as you don't drive characteristics too close to those of competing species, just swamp sexual selection for pretty manes with hunter selection for looking nondescript to an extent.

quote:

I've also seen it argued that as a real way to control population recreational hunting is really ineffective.
Yeah, no poo poo. But it provides money for underfunded national parks to do actually useful things.

The Larch posted:

Maybe the dentist guy should have actually gone on a legal trophy hunt then.

People were calling for all trophy hunting to end and more airlines started refusing to carry any big game animal trophies in general. The ridiculous way this story blew up internationally caused collateral damage way beyond dentist guy being a dick.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
cross-posting from the UKMT:

quote:

Faisal IslamVerified account
‏@faisalislam
UN Security Council just unanimously passed Resolution 2249 re: ISIL eradication and "combat by all means": text

That's basically the UN saying "go nuts, bomb them into pre-history", right?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's interesting that it also includes Al Nusrah & co on the hit list.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As posted in the UKMT, it seems to have passed because it makes no mention of Assad and limits the combat to non-Assad forces. The question is how this affects Russia's bombing of the FSA, since the UN resolution is more about other countries (as Russia is already protected under international law because Assad requested their assistance).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so apparently Belgium has placed Brussels at the highest terror alert level, citing a "serious and imminent threat." hopping its just cnn fear mongering and nothing happens.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The PKK isn't a "terrorist group designated by the UNSC", is it? Just wondering if Turkey could use this resolution as a pretext for continuing to be Daesh Air Force.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

All of western Europe pretty much has raised its terror alert levels in response to last week, Brussels probably over the Mali situation.

Not to say something won't happen, but it's more likely a precautionary measure.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

The PKK isn't a "terrorist group designated by the UNSC", is it? Just wondering if Turkey could use this resolution as a pretext for continuing to be Daesh Air Force.

It is not, but it is designated as such by plenty of organisations, including NATO.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tesseraction posted:

All of western Europe pretty much has raised its terror alert levels in response to last week, Brussels probably over the Mali situation.

Not to say something won't happen, but it's more likely a precautionary measure.

well isn't Brussels/Belgium full of radicals?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Well yes, but the point of terrorism is to strike when people feel safe, not when they're on alert.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

blowfish posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. But it provides money for underfunded national parks to do actually useful things.

People were calling for all trophy hunting to end and more airlines started refusing to carry any big game animal trophies in general. The ridiculous way this story blew up internationally caused collateral damage way beyond dentist guy being a dick.

Trophy hunting as conservation tends to be better in theory than in practice, unfortunately the communities its meant to help usually don't end up seeing much benefit from it in large part because the big one off payments that come in tend to get swallowed up by corruption, while the land set aside for it is also bought quickly by local elites. Admittedly that article was about Elephants and it mentions that Namibia has managed to create a more workable system.

quote:

“Since its inception, CAMPFIRE has been very successful,” the foundation’s website states. It says that households participating in CAMPFIRE increased their incomes by an estimated 15 to 25 percent.

But the benefits from the program are not equally shared within the communities, according to a 1997 study analyzing CAMPFIRE, and corruption has eaten away at revenue.

Rural councils in Zimbabwe are notoriously underfunded and almost always have nothing in their coffers to support the communities in their districts. For example, revenue from sport hunting in the Chiredzi Rural District (where the hunter shot that big bull elephant) was negligible, according to a 2014 end-of-year report.

In the report, the council’s chairman suggested it would be better to switch from hunting to more profitable non-consumer-based tourism, such as sightseeing and photography.

While a portion of the hunting fees foreigners pay (which can run into the tens of thousands of dollars) is earmarked for community projects such as CAMPFIRE, Emmanuel Fundira, Chairman of Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe, told CBS News in October that rural councils get “nothing.” In most cases, he said, corrupt government officials take the money.

Trophy hunting will never have anything near the same number of people who just want to gawk at Rhinos and stuff, and that sort of tourism probably allows for better flow of money to local communities.

Edit; This is really tangential, I apologize!

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I'm so sorry that I brought up Cecil in the first place, I swear I'll never do it again.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'm frankly surprised they didn't panic and shut down everything the moment they discovered many of the perpetrators came from Brussels.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so apparently Belgium has placed Brussels at the highest terror alert level, citing a "serious and imminent threat." hopping its just cnn fear mongering and nothing happens.

No it's pretty real. I don't know if they have some intelligence or are projecting their measures internationally to regain some respect but my mom isn't me letting on the train back to my town.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Unless your mom is the head of Belgium's security services I'm not sure 'overprotective parent' is a good barometer of terrorist activity.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
According to lesoir, potential targets are malls, public transportations (Brussels' subway system has been shut off until at least tomorrow afternoon), chemicals and explosives have been found in Moleenbek.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
So breaking news now is that Russia have sent France a puppy to replace the police dog that gave his life to protect our freedoms:

http://news.sky.com/story/1591635/russia-sends-france-puppy-in-solidarity

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

So breaking news now is that Russia have sent France a puppy to replace the police dog that gave her life to protect our freedoms:

Fixed. Diesel was a girl dog.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

LemonDrizzle posted:

cross-posting from the UKMT:

That's basically the UN saying "go nuts, bomb them into pre-history", right?

I have to giggle at how they straight up passed a resolution calling these fuckers by a slur over and over again.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Orange Devil posted:

I have to giggle at how they straight up passed a resolution calling these fuckers by a slur over and over again.

The best is the comma before each instance of the name (or most of the instances of the name), almost as if the reader is pausing, looking the listener (in this case, daesh) in the eye, and drawing out the name.

To people who know more about international law, is this resolution basically a legal justification for America's strikes in Syria? Or does it imply that the US still needs the approval of Assad (I think that's what the "within international law" part means).

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

How is it a slur? The Wikipedia seems to say that it is just an abbreviation of its Arabic name:

quote:

The group is known in Arabic as ad-Dawlah al-Islāmiyah fī 'l-ʿIrāq wa-sh-Shām, leading to the acronym Da'ish or Daesh (داعش, Arabic pronunciation: [ˈdaːʕiʃ]),[36][37] the Arabic equivalent of "ISIL".

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's not really a slur but "daesh" sounds a bit like words with negative connotations:

quote:

ISIL considers the acronym Da'ish derogatory because with the appropriate conjugation it sounds similar to the Arabic words Daes, "one who crushes something underfoot", and Dahes, "one who sows discord".

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
New anti-terror dog better be all like "Cyka Blyat" before aany mission now.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Kassad posted:

It's not really a slur but "daesh" sounds a bit like words with negative connotations:

Yeah, but that's not why ISIS don't like it, they don't like it because they don't want to be known as an anocrym, they want to be known as 'The State'.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

As posted in the UKMT, it seems to have passed because it makes no mention of Assad and limits the combat to non-Assad forces. The question is how this affects Russia's bombing of the FSA, since the UN resolution is more about other countries (as Russia is already protected under international law because Assad requested their assistance).

There's plenty of Al Nusra in the areas Russia is primarily bombing - that's all the cover they could ever want.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I never understood why the terrorists focus on the big cities, instead of wreaking havoc in bumfuck towns no one expects them to. Whenever someone of arab descent twitches, the big cities go on some sort of terror alert. You'd think that if you want to gently caress with a government, you try to spread their police forces thin.

--edit: Point is, I live in Belgium. Brussels' on high alert, on edge and swarmed with cops. I live in a smaller city in the same country, and seeing a police patrol car around here is like spotting a chupacabra.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 21, 2015

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

I never understood why the terrorists focus on the big cities, instead of wreaking havoc in bumfuck towns no one expects them to. Whenever someone of arab descent twitches, the big cities go on some sort of terror alert. You'd think that if you want to gently caress with a government, you try to spread their police forces thin.

Arrest this man.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: Point is, I live in Belgium. Brussels' on high alert, on edge and swarmed with cops. I live in a smaller city in the same country, and seeing a police patrol car around here is like spotting a chupacabra.

I've always said this too. I'm reminded of Britain's Hungerford massacre - a bloke just walks into a sleepy village and shoots everyone up and armed police can't get there in time.

Admittedly we learned from Hungerford and I'm sure measures are in place to respond more effectively these days, but still I'm surprised it's not a tactic we see from terrorists.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

So breaking news now is that Russia have sent France a puppy to replace the police dog that gave his life to protect our freedoms:

:unsmith:

The 21st century way of restarting the Entente :3:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thump! posted:

:unsmith:

The 21st century way of restarting the Entente :3:

I'm not sure recreating the politics that lead to the First World War is a good thing. :v:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I've always said this too. I'm reminded of Britain's Hungerford massacre - a bloke just walks into a sleepy village and shoots everyone up and armed police can't get there in time.

Admittedly we learned from Hungerford and I'm sure measures are in place to respond more effectively these days, but still I'm surprised it's not a tactic we see from terrorists.

Sorry but nobody cares about sleepy villages not even the terrorists.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think either way they are using the refugee pathway to gain entry into the EU. Honestly that's going to draw criticism for the refugee process because it can be demonstrated that terrorists used it as a pathway to their targets.

The important question is whether they're using it as a pathway because it's easier or because it casts suspicion on refugees. ISIS hates the refugees a lot so anything they can do to slow down that exodus works in their favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/uncucumbered/anonymous_uncovers_isis_plans_for_a_series_of_attacks_tomorrow?recruiter_id=17

Anon is claiming they've exposed ISIS attacks planned for Atlanta, Paris, Rome, Indonesia, Milan, and Lebanon.

The Atlanta attack was supposedly targetted at a WWE event in Atlanta, GA

• Locked thread