Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Problem description: My computer can't install Windows 10. Errors of varying kinds result with every effort.

Attempted fixes: MalwareBytes, uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Update, stopping and restarting the service, trying to force the update.

Recent changes: None. Battery is dying tho and will be replaced soon.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium

System specs: HP Pavillion g6 with AMD Turion

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I just want to know if my machine will somehow stop working if I can't make it do Windows 10. I don't really want the update; from the looks of things it's going to rearrange things in ways I don't like, but if my computer somehow will stop working because of it then I need to find a way to get it.

Edit: the most recent error is 80200013.

Astrofig fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yes if your computer is not working well enough to install Windows 10 I would be concerned about how much longer it will work period. Please run Crystal Disk Info (standard edition portable ZIP) and post a screenshot of the results window to show the health of your harddrive. I'd also try running the Windows Memory Diagnostic from Start, Search, Memory. Keep in mind that the system is past its useful lifespan so the answer may just be that it is dying and needs to be replaced.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
So am I looking at having to buy a whole new machine? And how do I take a screenshot?

Also (and I'm sorry for all the dumb newb questions btw) what is a laptop's general useful life? I've had this one for 4-5 years now, but I've heard of people still using machines they've had for 10+. Does it depend on the brand?

Astrofig fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 14, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
To take a screenshot, hold the Alt key and press the Print Screen key, this will take a screenshot of the active window. Paste it into Paint or something and save it as a PNG file, and upload it to imgur or attach to a post here. You haven't posted your exact computer model, but you can generally expect a lifespan of about 5 years, with cheaper computer seeing less and better computer seeing more. There may be a simple or less expensive fix, but you can't automatically assume the system can be kept running.

• Locked thread