Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Martin O'Malley
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
LIVE STREAMS

http://cbsnews.com/live will not require a cable subscription.

In case the official one doesn't work for whatever reason, these :yarr: ones did last time:

http://www.livenewschat.eu/
http://www.stream2watch.co/live-tv/us/
http://www.hulkusc.com/

IRC

https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=EU.synirc.net%3A%2B7001&channel=%23Poligoon

LOGISTICS

Venue: Drake University, IA
Moderators: John Dickerson and Nancy Cordes of CBS, Kathie Obradovich of the Des Moines Register, and Kevin Cooney of KCCI-TV
Sponsors: CBS News, the Des Moines Register

THE CONTENDERS

, Secretary of State

, Senator from Vermont

, Governor of Maryland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
So, the Paris attacks really swing this debate in Hillary's favor. Bernie is much less fluid when talking about foreign policy, and Hillary's hawkishness will play pretty well right now. It will definitely be interesting to see if Bernie can find a way to navigates this.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

"CBS Shifts Emphasis of Democratic Debate to Reflect Paris Attacks posted:

In the hours after the deadly attacks in Paris, CBS News significantly reworked its plans for the Democratic presidential debate it is hosting here on Saturday night to focus more on issues of terrorism, national security and foreign relations.

Steve Capus, the executive editor of CBS News and the executive producer of “CBS Evening News,” said in an interview late Friday that he was in the middle of a rehearsal for the debate when news broke about the slaughter in Paris.

The CBS News team immediately shifted gears and reformulated questions to make them more directly related to the attacks. Mr. Capus said it was important for the debate to go on because the world looks to the American president for leadership during international crises.

“American leadership is put to the test,” Mr. Capus said. “The entire world is looking to the White House. These people are vying to take over this office.”

“This is exactly what the president is going to have to face,” he added.

Mr. Capus said the news team had planned a different debate, but “there is no question that the emphasis changes dramatically.”...

...“It is the right time to ask all the related questions that come to mind,” he added. “We think we have a game plan to address a lot of the substantive and important topics.”

“Last night’s attacks are a tragic example of the kinds of challenges American presidents face in today’s world, and we intend to ask the candidates how they would confront the evolving threat of terrorism,” said Christopher Isham, CBS News vice president and Washington bureau chief....

So foreign policy it is.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Joementum posted:

, Governor of Maryland

I don't think so, brother!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

A Neurotic Jew posted:

So, the Paris attacks really swing this debate in Hillary's favor. Bernie is much less fluid when talking about foreign policy, and Hillary's hawkishness will play pretty well right now. It will definitely be interesting to see if Bernie can find a way to navigates this.

Idk all I see is an opportunity to re-introduce ~Benghazi~ and blame her for failing to protect americans.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Why would they have a debate without Jim "I strangled that gook with his own intestines" Webb?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have no doubt that Hillary Clinton personally planned the attacks in Paris to move the debate off the economy.

It will be interesting to see how it goes. I'll have to watch it on YouTube, though since it's on a god damned Saturday night and I have plans.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

dr_rat posted:

The CBS News team immediately shifted gears and reformulated questions to make them more directly related to the attacks.

"What do yesterday's terror attacks reveal about how Black Lives Matter?"
"In light of the attacks in Paris, what do you think of Secretary Clinton's decision to use a private email server?"
"Governor O'Malley, how do you plan to use the Paris situation to expand your support base beyond the eleven Americans who know who the hell you are?"

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
If Bernie hasn't improved from the last debate we might as well end the primary now and save money. But seriously Hilary's hawish stances a day after a major terrorist attack on an ally will probably give her a major boost.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Anal Papist posted:

Why would they have a debate without Jim "I strangled that gook with his own intestines" Webb?

He is no longer running for the Democratic nomination, though he says he's still running for President, maybe.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*
Why are they having this on a Saturday

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This definitely feels like it would make or break Sanders (probably the latter). Bye bye Bernie. :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea if this is gonna be focused on foreign policy Bernie's gonna look real bad, if he gets stomped out two debates in a row that's not gonna be good for him.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This definitely feels like it would make or break Sanders (probably the latter). Bye bye Bernie. :smith:

Serious expecting Clinton to go back to her pre- Obama stances on foreign policy after Bernie leaves if he doesn't do better. He's barely lightly touching her from the left, let alone pushing her to the left with some of these poll numbers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That'd be really stupid to do though?

What's with people pretending Clinton is a hair's trigger away from ripping off her human mask and revealing she's actually Hitler's reptilian clone while cackling madly?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Asking the candidates to debate about the Paris attacks before they have all the information about those attacks creates a big problem for their campaigns.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Asking the candidates to debate about the Paris attacks before they have all the information about those attacks creates a big problem for their campaigns.

It's good preparation for one aspect of being the President, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I doubt anyone's going to give a solid answer beyond shifting it into a more broad topic of 'yea there are people out there who probably want to murder most of us in the west, here's my plan to keep that from being a thing' but Bernie is real bad at talking foreign policy even in the nebulous sense. It's not good for either campaign but it's especially not good for his.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That'd be really stupid to do though?

What's with people pretending Clinton is a hair's trigger away from ripping off her human mask and revealing she's actually Hitler's reptilian clone while cackling madly?

Whether you want to admit it or not Hilary changes her positions during primaries or elections based on where she thinks the wind blows, not calling her inhuman it's good politics. I don't think she's as far left as she has been presenting herself in the primary but she needed to do that to not get ganked by Bernie. If Bernie flames out early that means his positions and by extension his base doesn't have as much support meaning she can go back to her actual position which is basically Obama's current one but a little more aggressive.

If you don't like how Obama handles some things right now this might make you sad that Bernie just hosed it up this early

As and example of what I mean by changing positions so you understand it's not some flip floper argument. Her and Obama's positions on gay marriage and how they evolved and shut up about the sanctity of marriage when it got popular. Basically Hillary like Obama is a make me do it candidate and I do not like those types of candidates usually hence my annoyance.

SirKibbles has issued a correction as of 18:18 on Nov 14, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AndNowMax posted:

Plenty of primary debates in the past few election cycles have been held on saturdays. In fact, the most watched debate of the 2008 primary was held on a Saturday!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nintendo Kid posted:

Plenty of primary debates in the past few election cycles have been held on saturdays. In fact, the most watched debate of the 2008 primary was held on a Saturday!

Wasn't there some poster here or in D&D before this subforum saying the debates being on saturday was a conspiracy by Clinton and DWS to rob poor Bernie?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Wasn't there some poster here or in D&D before this subforum saying the debates being on saturday was a conspiracy by Clinton and DWS to rob poor Bernie?

No that was when they found out that a lot of the debates happened the same day or near football games. To be fair that does favor Hillary but that's not because of some conspiracy she's the front runner. It does however show that Debbie still sucks at her job and apparently no one outside of Obama (publicly at least) wants to tell her to get it together.

SirKibbles has issued a correction as of 18:46 on Nov 14, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

AndNowMax posted:

Old people got nothing better to do.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SirKibbles posted:

No that was when they found out that a lot of the debates happened the same day or near football games. To be fair that does favor Hillary but that's not because of some conspiracy she's the front runner. It does however show that Debbie still sucks at her job and apparently no one outside of Obama (publicly at least) wants to tell her to get it together.

It doesn't show that she sucks at her job in the least. As if the glories of 9 PM on a Wednesday would mean better viewership. :rolleyes:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Will Bernie Sanders have the courage to say "I don't know." on stage tonight? :ohdear:

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

It doesn't show that she sucks at her job in the least. As if the glories of 9 PM on a Wednesday would mean better viewership. :rolleyes:

Thankfully the DNC scheduled a terrorist attack last night to boost ratings

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Agreed. Hillary was pushing to knock over Assad back in 2011/2012/2013, and there's a decent argument that ISIL would not exist in it's current from if the US/NATO had done a regime change in Syria, like Hillary was pushing for. (There are of course counterarguments to this, but as noted Bernie is much less fluid when talking about foreign policy.)

mike12345 posted:

Idk all I see is an opportunity to re-introduce ~Benghazi~ and blame her for failing to protect americans.
Democrats live in reality though, and in this place called reality we sent special forces guys into Libya about a year after the consulate attack and captured the Ansar al-Sharia guys responsible for the attack.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fade5 posted:

Democrats live in reality though,

If that were true, Bernie Sanders wouldn't be debating foreign policy at a Democratic debate.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

AndNowMax posted:

Opening day of firearm deer season in Michigan is tomorrow. How can I bag a buck tomorrow morning if I'm hungover from watching a debate? Couldn't they do this on a week night like civilized people?

A Neurotic Jew posted:

The Bernie Sanders group on FB already frothing with rage at the suggestion that lying hypocritical woman could come close to Bernie Sanders on FP, when he's always right about everything.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The Bernie Sanders group on FB already frothing with rage at the suggestion that lying hypocritical woman could come close to Bernie Sanders on FP, when he's always right about everything.
Can you ask them about Afghanistan and Kosovo, I'm curious how they'll respond.

Bernie brought up last debate that he voted for Kosovo and Afghanistan so it's not like it's something he's changed his mind on, and I expect that he'll bring them up again and that he continues to support airstrikes against ISIL in today's debate.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
How would it play to say that Hillary helped create ISIS with her Iraq war vote?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jewel Repetition posted:

How would it play to say that Hillary helped create ISIS with her Iraq war vote?

It would be the smart thing to do. Attack Hillary for Obama's failures and portray your foreign policy as the anti-Obama doctrine.

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015
Since Baby Hitler is now the frontrunner in both the Republican and the Democratic race, is it still too soon to consider him inevitable?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ibogaine posted:

Since Baby Hitler is now the frontrunner in both the Republican and the Democratic race, is it still too soon to consider him inevitable?

I think it's safe to say that all of the candidates are literally Baby Hitler.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think its safe to say that Bernie Sanders is the only candidate who wouldn't abort Baby Hitler.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

It would be the smart thing to do. Attack Hillary for Obama's failures and portray your foreign policy as the anti-Obama doctrine.

Yes, portray yourself as anti-Obama when Obama is very popular with the party. Not the best political move. (though personally, I think Obama has been rather meh at foreign policy)

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

fade5 posted:

Can you ask them about Afghanistan and Kosovo, I'm curious how they'll respond.

Bernie brought up last debate that he voted for Kosovo and Afghanistan so it's not like it's something he's changed his mind on, and I expect that he'll bring them up again and that he continues to support airstrikes against ISIL in today's debate.

Thank you for reminding me of that, I have a response to this now.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mrit posted:

Yes, portray yourself as anti-Obama when Obama is very popular with the party. Not the best political move. (though personally, I think Obama has been rather meh at foreign policy)

Obama's foreign policy hasn't been popular within the party at all. Everyone disagrees with Obama on forpol; Clinton the most. Attacking Clinton as the root of Obama's foreign policy failures is a double-whammy, since Clinton was ignored by Obama on forpol and since those policies have so clearly failed in the eyes of the American public.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Thank you for reminding me of that, I have a response to this now.

What's in that image is the line that'll be used against Clinton 'til E-day. Without Biden in the race, Obama's ForPol is her fault.

Far better for Sanders to own the attack than for Trump.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
How openly will Hillary lust for Muslim death?

Or will she wink and nod and hold up her hands in a gesture of apparent inevitability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's good preparation for one aspect of being the President, though.

It's 3 am. Who do you want working on last minute debate prep?

• Locked thread