Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Martin O'Malley
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Proposition Joe posted:

lol that the DNC is burying one of only six debates on a Saturday night.

The most watched debate of the 2008 democratic primary was a Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tonight's debate is literally going to be the left side of this:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Also the Republicans have been trying to get that email poo poo to stick for years and gotten nowhere with it

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This should be interesting -

http://www.ibtimes.com/inside-twitters-cbs-news-debate-partnership-political-spotlight-may-finally-elevate-2183018

quote:

Twitter inked a deal with CBS to integrate its services into the first presidential debate on broadcast TV, scheduled for Saturday at 9 p.m. EST at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa. That prime-time opportunity follows Facebook’s partnership with Fox News for a Republican debate in August, which came after a 2012 deal with NBC and a 2008 partnership with ABC.

On Saturday night, about 20 Twitter employees will be on the ground in Iowa, in a war room with CBS workers. The staff will track the conversation on Twitter by monitoring the service's analytic systems. The producers of CBS on-air and CBSN, its 24/7 streaming news network, will receive the information in real-time and be able to present visualizations of the data on all channels.

These displays may include a line graph for each candidate's share of the online conversation. CBS can also show what issues are trending the most as well as pull in real-time, curated tweets about the debate. Moderator John Dickerson may also ask questions from Twitter users. "The CBS team and the Twitter team are working very closely. We’ve done dry runs using the tools. We’ve thought through different scenarios," said Christy Tanner, senior vice president and general manager of CBSNews Digital.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
OTOH Hillary might just roll up her sleeves so everyone gets to see how hawkish she really is and get really turned off by it

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
BOOM! :boom:

All campaigns are equal, but some are more equal than others :bernget:

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
soo all the :yarr: streams require credit card data, that's fab

Joementum posted:

uh, who's got no leverage?

seriously though, I am terrified of what they must have traded away to get this

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Joementum posted:

Clinton will have to settle for dominating instead of destroying her opponents.

I'm curious as to what Sanders traded to get CBS to settle.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Um, if that's true, that's going to make the whole debate look bad. There ought to be some serious discussion of foreign policy, given the events of yesterday.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Only now did it hit really home that Lincoln Chafee won't be the next president of the United States :smith:

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

rear end cobra posted:

Only now did it hit really home that Lincoln Chafee won't be the next president of the United States :smith:

:(

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Keep your hopes up though, I hear that Baby Hitler has topped numerous online polls and is a frontrunner for both parties.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

dont blame me i voted for omalley

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Whatever happened to Deez Nuts?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maybe Hillary will figure out a way to explain in idiot bumpersticker language how Bush created ISIS by arming, training, and supporting a bunch of Sunni militias in Iraq.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

You blame anyone who was responsible for the Iraq invasion, because that's exactly what predicated ISIL.

ISIL would have arose without the Iraq invasion.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

DaveWoo posted:

Um, if that's true, that's going to make the whole debate look bad. There ought to be some serious discussion of foreign policy, given the events of yesterday.

Even if the debate is reverting back to its original format, I would be shocked if there weren't references to it scattered throughout the proceedings. I expect all the candidates to refer to it in their opening statements.

WugLyfe posted:

Turned out to be a fifteen year old farmboy from Iowa.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DaveWoo posted:

I like it when all of these flat little lizards come out of the woodwork when things like these happen.

There are only two things that can come out of the Paris attacks: fascism and the tangible benefits of hating immigrants.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Sounds like damage control; my bet is the debate proceeds as planned, with Bernie being told that he is free to withdraw his candidacy at any time if he wishes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WugLyfe posted:

Shrinkage

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WugLyfe posted:

Both ineligable for office, and winter set in.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

So the only outcome of this pre-debate kerfuffle is that at some point Clinton slips in a line about "Some would rather not discuss the ugly realities we face in the world today..." and wins free points, basically?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I like it when all of these flat little lizards come out of the woodwork when things like these happen.

There are only two things that can come out of the Paris attacks: fascism and the tangible benefits of hating immigrants.

but these guys have to earn votes from the american electorate at some point so they cant just not vilify the Other

if you don't at least offer a credible threat to respond to murder with murder and perpetuate the cycle you're not a viable candidate for president

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

If the debate doesn't at least put some focus on the Paris attacks that's definitely not going to look good.

Sanders has to know he can't whine away problems as President or whine about unfairness in the face of relentless GOP attacks.

CBS should've stuck to their guns and told him to not show up if he didn't like it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

QuoProQuid posted:

Even if the debate is reverting back to its original format, I would be shocked if there weren't references to it scattered throughout the proceedings. I expect all the candidates to refer to it in their opening statements.

Yeah, my guess is that they're just ditching the 90 second opening statements about the Paris attacks that CBS was asking each candidate to make.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

rear end cobra posted:

And the American electorate chimes in with a resounding "Who? ...Oh wait, was he the Kohl's guy?"

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

oystertoadfish posted:

but these guys have to earn votes from the american electorate at some point so they cant just not vilify the Other

if you don't at least offer a credible threat to respond to murder with murder and perpetuate the cycle you're not a viable candidate for president

I'm depressed but your pretty much correct

Expect Hillary to criticize Obama tonight for not being tough enough on ISIL

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Valentin posted:

So the only outcome of this pre-debate kerfuffle is that at some point Clinton slips in a line about "Some would rather not discuss the ugly realities we face in the world today..." and wins free points, basically?

She could do this, but it's a pretty risky maneuver without a very clear idea of what actually happened. If it's at all different than what's been reported Bernie could zing her pretty bad.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

A Neurotic Jew posted:

She could do this, but it's a pretty risky maneuver without a very clear idea of what actually happened. If it's at all different than what's been reported Bernie could zing her pretty bad.

Clinton is an excellent debater and would instantly win any kind of quick back and forth between Sanders or O'Malley. Obama tried a few times in 2008 and lost each time. Sanders would perform much worse given that its against his personality to be aggressive.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I'm depressed

good

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

its very appropriate

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

stephenfry posted:

its very appropriate

yeah as long as we're talking about sadness re: opinions and world realities and not harming self or others i think it helps one cope in the long run

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mitt Romney posted:

Clinton is an excellent debater and would instantly win any kind of quick back and forth between Sanders or O'Malley. Obama tried a few times in 2008 and lost each time. Sanders would perform much worse given that its against his personality to be aggressive.

Counterpoint: "You're likable enough."

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

FAUXTON posted:

Counterpoint: "You're likable enough."

How's that a counterpoint? That hurt Obama significantly right before NH and is widely credited as one of the reasons his numbers turned upside down before the NH election.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Wasn't there some poster here or in D&D before this subforum saying the debates being on saturday was a conspiracy by Clinton and DWS to rob poor Bernie?

A republican strategist on CBS is saying basically this rght now

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mitt Romney posted:

How's that a counterpoint? That hurt Obama significantly right before NH and is widely credited as one of the reasons his numbers turned upside down before the NH election.

Oh, well in that case she flattened him. I'd for some reason thought he'd gotten a boost from that.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

babypolis posted:

A republican strategist on CBS is saying basically this rght now

That's kind of dumb.

Given her debate skills, I'm pretty sure Clinton would want as many people watching the debates as possible. There's no need for anyone to conjure up an elaborate conspiracy about the debate's timing (except for the Republicans, as it fuels their narrative about Clinton being dishonest and manipulative.)

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Baby Hitler with a commanding lead

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Oh, well in that case she flattened him. I'd for some reason thought he'd gotten a boost from that.

It's remembered as a notable moment so I think people tend to automatically assume it was a devastating cut-down, but it really played into the image of Obama as an arrogant ivory tower-type who had no experience on a national stage and no respect for his opponents (also made him look kinda sexist).

As for the idea that calling Bernie out could turn out bad for Clinton if the attacks turn out not to be Daesh as is currently assumed, is that really the case? Even assuming this attacks turn out to be domestic in nature, then Bernie still doesn't want to talk about a massive domestic terror strike in one of the U.S.'s (putative) closest allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

That's kind of dumb.

Given her debate skills, I'm pretty sure Clinton would want as many people watching the debates as possible. There's no need for anyone to conjure up an elaborate conspiracy about the debate's timing (except for the Republicans, as it fuels their narrative about Clinton being dishonest and manipulative.)

I think the idea is that Hillary has nothing to gain and much to lose from a debate, which is very much true. I mean every candidate wanted more debates, except Clinton.

• Locked thread