Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Martin O'Malley
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I just got back from Drake.

My thoughts: Not sure anyone really won. Hillary is getting roasted in the press over the 9/11 response. Some are calling it a gaffe - it wasn't. It was clearly a carefully crafted debate line that just misfired horribly. The point, that she got a lot Wall Street donations because of her work advocating for NYC reconstruction, was totally lost after invoking 9/11. By letting Bernie paint the entirety of Wall Street with a broad brush, she essentially conceded the premise. I got the point of why she said what she said - it was to simultaneously rebut the charge while highlighting her work after 9/11. To a campaign consultant, that might sound really clever. Instead, it just came off as reminiscent of Rudy Giuliani.

I thought Hillary made it through the foreign policy section despite having a target on her back, and she demonstrated that she just knows a whole lot more about it than her opponents. They hammered her on Iraq, although I suspect that this is largely already baked into the cake and it's going to be hard to score points on this as primary voters already know about it and have evidently chosen to ignore it. Bernie didn't do great here, and O'Malley sounded like he was moving to Hillary's right. The fact that the Dems on the stage were clearly so flustered by the "radical Islam" question was bizarre. They obviously were trying to be responsible, but the idea that you need to use some magic phrase to be tough against terrorism is inane and they should have said that.

Bernie let a number of things Hillary said slip by - I can't believe he let her get away with the clearly asinine "Donald Trump's kids" line on free college, and his reply to her on the Terry Branstad line re: singlepayer administration was not effective. I think that's just a lack of preparation - she's deployed these criticisms before, and he should have already known how to respond. He could have won some serious points on these, but he let them slide.

It's not clear to me that any candidate turned in a great performance. O'Malley might get a boost out of this by default, although I will note that he's actually the only candidate on the stage who is a horrible monster.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Nov 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I do think that Hillary's plan makes a lot of sense in terms of controlling costs: incentivizing colleges to reduce tuition fees by offering sizable grants to states with public schools that can graduate all of their students debt free. It has potential to fundamentally transform the higher education model for the better.

I do really like Bernie Sanders' idea of modeling American universities after European ones as well, but I would like to see more detail on it. Free tuition is going to be a very inefficient drain unless it's coupled with reforms that lower the cost of educating students.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Should poor people have to work in order to eat?

What are you talking about

• Locked thread