Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Martin O'Malley
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

So the only outcome of this pre-debate kerfuffle is that at some point Clinton slips in a line about "Some would rather not discuss the ugly realities we face in the world today..." and wins free points, basically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Oh, well in that case she flattened him. I'd for some reason thought he'd gotten a boost from that.

It's remembered as a notable moment so I think people tend to automatically assume it was a devastating cut-down, but it really played into the image of Obama as an arrogant ivory tower-type who had no experience on a national stage and no respect for his opponents (also made him look kinda sexist).

As for the idea that calling Bernie out could turn out bad for Clinton if the attacks turn out not to be Daesh as is currently assumed, is that really the case? Even assuming this attacks turn out to be domestic in nature, then Bernie still doesn't want to talk about a massive domestic terror strike in one of the U.S.'s (putative) closest allies.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Joementum posted:

When a reporter suggested to Weaver that the changes seemed appropriate in light of the biggest terrorist attack in over a decade, he said: "Of which we have a minute and a half to speak to that. I don't even know what the argument is about."

:shittypop:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I don't know that the "Bernie tries to stop discussion of Paris" story will stick, but media twitter is doing some performative outrage all over it, and the media loves performing outrage for as long as you'll let it. Don't be surprised if it sticks around.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I adore that you can't even fathom why 'the media' wouldn't be super jazzed about a campaign having a tantrum and forcing a debate to change to what they want. Like, not event he republicans' pissfests could make their debate shift that much but suddenly Sanders' smug little dude has a meltdown and things change?

Oh, I think that this is actually bad policy in addition to being bad optics, and covering it is 100% understandable. I just mean that it probably won't get dropped not just because it's noteworthy, but because the media enjoys being outraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

But honestly I can't see how the number 2 Democratic candidate having a tantrum until a debate changes isn't noteworthy. Like it's not Watergate 2 or whatever, but especially from the dude who's all up in changing the culture and all behaving this way should be really embarassing.

It is really embarrassing (the Bernie campaign spokesperson is now calling any idea that they wanted to avoid foreign policy "nonsense") and should be noted, but I think it's reasonable to wonder whether or not it would get a lot of attention or be dismissed by the news-watching public as irrelevant he-said she-said.

• Locked thread