Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Martin O'Malley
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
LIVE STREAMS

http://cbsnews.com/live will not require a cable subscription.

In case the official one doesn't work for whatever reason, these :yarr: ones did last time:

http://www.livenewschat.eu/
http://www.stream2watch.co/live-tv/us/
http://www.hulkusc.com/

IRC

https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=EU.synirc.net%3A%2B7001&channel=%23Poligoon

LOGISTICS

Venue: Drake University, IA
Moderators: John Dickerson and Nancy Cordes of CBS, Kathie Obradovich of the Des Moines Register, and Kevin Cooney of KCCI-TV
Sponsors: CBS News, the Des Moines Register

THE CONTENDERS

, Secretary of State

, Senator from Vermont

, Governor of Maryland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Anal Papist posted:

Why would they have a debate without Jim "I strangled that gook with his own intestines" Webb?

He is no longer running for the Democratic nomination, though he says he's still running for President, maybe.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Asking the candidates to debate about the Paris attacks before they have all the information about those attacks creates a big problem for their campaigns.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ibogaine posted:

Since Baby Hitler is now the frontrunner in both the Republican and the Democratic race, is it still too soon to consider him inevitable?

I think it's safe to say that all of the candidates are literally Baby Hitler.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Sanders campaign staffer threw a fit with CBS on a conference call about the debate.

quote:

“It was a little bit of a bizarre scene. The Sanders representative, you know, really laid into CBS and basically … kind of threw like a little bit of a fit and said, ‘You are trying to turn this into a foreign policy debate. That’s not what any of us agreed to. How can you change the terms of the debate, you know, on the day of the debate. That’s not right,’” the staffer recounted.

Here's the new structure:

quote:

“There’s going to be a one minute or so opening basically open-ended statement from each of the candidates so they can address Paris,” the staffer said. “Then, they’re going to have the first twenty minute segment be foreign policy focused because of what happened in Paris and then they’re going to go back to the debate as it was normally structured.”

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Sanders campaign also reposted his 2002 speech against the Iraq War to YouTube this afternoon.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
My guess is that Bernie's going to double-down on this all being a result of the Iraq war, which he opposed. It'll be really interesting to see how that goes down if he tries it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Proposition Joe posted:

lol that the DNC is burying one of only six debates on a Saturday night.

Almost certainly because it's on network TV and CBS wouldn't give up a weeknight slot.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
BOOM! :boom:

All campaigns are equal, but some are more equal than others :bernget:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

QuoProQuid posted:

Even if the debate is reverting back to its original format, I would be shocked if there weren't references to it scattered throughout the proceedings. I expect all the candidates to refer to it in their opening statements.

Yeah, my guess is that they're just ditching the 90 second opening statements about the Paris attacks that CBS was asking each candidate to make.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
“We had agreed on opening and closing statements, the timing of those," Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver said about the debate format that was settled before the attacks on Friday. "Others attempted to change those. We pushed back on those and ended up prevailing. We're very happy about that.”

When asked for more details, he smiled: "Let's just say we won."

When a reporter suggested to Weaver that the changes seemed appropriate in light of the biggest terrorist attack in over a decade, he said: "Of which we have a minute and a half to speak to that. I don't even know what the argument is about."

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/bernie-sanders-debate-no-terrorism-215868

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bernie has declared the debate stage to be a Safe Space.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"I wish Lincoln Chafee were still here." ~ nobody

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
They hate us for our televised debates.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And now, let's have a moment of commercials in remembrance of the Paris attacks.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ok, I said the thing about ISIS, now here's my stump speech.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
According to Hillary, this election is about electing a President and also about electing a Commander in Chief. Interesting constitutional move.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"It cannot be an American fight" ~ coming soon to dozens of Republican ads over the next year.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

"It cannot be an American fight" ~ coming soon to dozens of Republican ads over the next year.

Even O'Malley noticed this.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yup, I figured he was going to use his Iraq vote to get him out of this segment. Smart move, legislating the thing the Democratic party agrees with him on here.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Fun fact: US involvement in Lebanon was one of the reasons cited by Bin Laden for 9/11

Funner fact: Ike told the Lebanese he'd nuke them if they didn't allow US troops to establish a base.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Interesting to watch an actual policy debate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Brian Beutler @brianbeutler
O’Malley: “I cleaned up those Barksdale corners; I’ll clean up the ISIS strongholds in the Middle East."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Can we have John Dickerson moderate all debates?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also, holy poo poo I'm impressed at the crowd control at this debate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Regis Christ posted:

(Bernie raises hand, gets ignored)

I don't understand why he thinks talking during this benefits him.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
David Axelrod @davidaxelrod
.@HillaryClinton seems trapped between being candidate and a responsible potential president. Solid answers. Not necessarily winning ones.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The US already screens refugees, but whatevs.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Armyman25 posted:

How do you vet refugees anyway?

Here you go: http://www.buzzfeed.com/kyleblaine/some-things-to-know-about-how-us-screens-syrian-refugees#.eiB8e0JLe

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It won't matter so much how the candidates are doing in the back-and-forth, because nobody's watching it. The clips coming out of this will be much more important.

So far, I think O'Malley is winning those.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Second time Hillary has said "my husband" tonight as a positive reference to Bill's administration.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mitt Romney posted:

Yeah that hit on Clinton about it being an American fight was a good one, even though Clinton is correct on the details.

And the bit about soldiers not just being "boots on the ground". I bet that will get replays.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm frankly disappointed that Bernie is still so broad strokes about all the issues. Foreign policy, sure, but he's running on the economy, he or the people working for him should have had numbers ready.

Because his campaign isn't about becoming President or implementing specific tax plans, it's about pushing policy in his direction.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He's doing a poo poo job of that too though?

Not really, considering he's gotten Hillary to oppose KXL and TPP, among other things.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
btw, if you're not subscribed to John Dickerson's Whistlestop podcast already, go do that now

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
O'Malley used the "carnival barker" line in the last debate too.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
O'Malley is going to double his polling after this debate.

All the way to 4%

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Anyone know where the rails are? Because this debate is no longer on them!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
But what about the gold standard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeb Bush @JebBush
Yes, we are at war with radical Islamic terrorism. #DemDebate

• Locked thread