Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Martin O'Malley
Baby Hitler
View Results

• Locked thread
Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

fade5 posted:

"Voting for Hillary in 2016 is like voting for W in 2000."

This is said while Jeb! Bush, brother of former President George W. Bush, is running for the 2016 Republican nomination with his brother's foreign policy team, including Iraq War architect Paul Wolfowitz.

Your Facebook acquaintances are going to be really, really disappointed at this debate, is all I can say.

I highly doubt he will, but if Sanders actually came out at the debate indirectly blaming Clinton for the Paris attack that will be the end of what is left of his campaign, in true Romney-Benghazi campaign style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

BOOM! :boom:

All campaigns are equal, but some are more equal than others :bernget:

If the debate doesn't at least put some focus on the Paris attacks that's definitely not going to look good.

Sanders has to know he can't whine away problems as President or whine about unfairness in the face of relentless GOP attacks.

CBS should've stuck to their guns and told him to not show up if he didn't like it.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

A Neurotic Jew posted:

She could do this, but it's a pretty risky maneuver without a very clear idea of what actually happened. If it's at all different than what's been reported Bernie could zing her pretty bad.

Clinton is an excellent debater and would instantly win any kind of quick back and forth between Sanders or O'Malley. Obama tried a few times in 2008 and lost each time. Sanders would perform much worse given that its against his personality to be aggressive.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

FAUXTON posted:

Counterpoint: "You're likable enough."

How's that a counterpoint? That hurt Obama significantly right before NH and is widely credited as one of the reasons his numbers turned upside down before the NH election.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

“We had agreed on opening and closing statements, the timing of those," Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver said about the debate format that was settled before the attacks on Friday. "Others attempted to change those. We pushed back on those and ended up prevailing. We're very happy about that.”

When asked for more details, he smiled: "Let's just say we won."

When a reporter suggested to Weaver that the changes seemed appropriate in light of the biggest terrorist attack in over a decade, he said: "Of which we have a minute and a half to speak to that. I don't even know what the argument is about."

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/bernie-sanders-debate-no-terrorism-215868

Wow, that is impressively tone deaf from a campaign manager.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
I guess Sanders didn't get the memo about not doing stump speeches at debates.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
What a huge gently caress up by Sanders.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Compare these questions to a GOP debate.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Bernie blaming Clinton for the Paris attacks indirectly. That's the end for Bernie.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Great to see Hillary actually talk about something she enjoys.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
What the gently caress was that from Sanders?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Bernie is not doing great, Clinton is doing pretty good considering the questions and double teaming, O'Malley is outperforming expectations by a little.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

It won't matter so much how the candidates are doing in the back-and-forth, because nobody's watching it. The clips coming out of this will be much more important.

So far, I think O'Malley is winning those.

Yeah that hit on Clinton about it being an American fight was a good one, even though Clinton is correct on the details.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
O'Malley is having a good night.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Tell that to the entire Vermont state legislature.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
This isn't going to end well for Sanders.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Zas posted:

mitt romney called it

Yup. Once Hillary established that Sanders was going after her character it's over.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Zas posted:

and yet she really didn't seize the moment

It's not so much about the immediacy but now it's out in the open that Sanders is attacking her character and integrity.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Wow at these debate quesitons.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Yeah, Hillary is actually on the defensive here, she's retreated to "I agree with you both" positions. Smart move on her part, but it's not the kind of attitude she was able to take in the first debate.

To be fair, between the moderator questions and the double teaming she's going to be on the defensive.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He says he's sick of them, then in an interview he does the 'well there IS an investigation just sayin' thing and now 'that's a media thing' apparently. He wants to jab at her but he's trying to keep his sweet grandpa image up.

Spoiler; this is how he ran in Vermont too.

He said "well these is an FBI investigation", he weaseled out of it tonight.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

QuoProQuid posted:

Sanders: Health care is a right for all people.

Clinton: I once had those hopes for single payer health care... but those dreams are dead now.

Meanwhile Sanders has yet to explain how he's going to get medicare for all passed through congress.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

badatom posted:

It's really frustrating that the Republicans get to do debates on Easy Mode. They would get demolished by these moderators and questions.

Yup, these are the furthest thing from softball questions.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

Bernie's answer here a perfect example of "Senatoritis" in debates. Nobody cares about your "crisis" as a committee chairman.

Yeah I thought he was going to say the VA was in crisis that was helping to solve.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
I'm surprised Clinton didn't mention Paris in her closing arguments.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
I think Clinton won the debate because nothing significant happened.

Sanders sucked horribly for the first 30 minutes of the debate. Additionally Clinton established that he's attacking her character and integrity and Sanders is going to have that hanging over his head now for a while.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
I also think Joementum is right again that she did give up a couple bad soundbites for general election ads.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Bad Caller posted:

I'm honestly worried a Republican will win just because of so many of the Democratic base not being all that for Hillary

Like yeah she'll win the primary but she could lose a general from voter apathy and a republican candidate is just asking for more dead americans

Clinton is more liked by Democratic voters than any other candidate for any party: 83% favorable impression, 47% strongly favorable. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/11/13/poll-hillary-clintons-image-among-democrats-much-stronger-than-bernie-sanderss/

quote:

Fully 83 percent of Democrats have a favorable impression of Clinton[/b], compared with 54 percent for Sanders. And despite Sanders's ability to energize the Democratic base -- as shown by huge crowds turning out to see him -- Clinton's edge is almost as large on intensity; 47 percent see Clinton in a "strongly favorable" light, compared with 22 percent for Sanders. So while more than half of Democrats who like Clinton feel strongly, less than half of those who like Sanders feel that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
The out of context soundbites from Clinton (and moderators with the "are you at war with radical islam, yes or no" question) are the main reasons why the DNC wants fewer debates instead of the 20+ cluster gently caress the RNC has going on. Fewer debates are safer for the general election.

And as you can see after two debates the DNC has no real reason to want fewer debates to hold Sanders down from Clinton- he not good at debates and has come out of both with worse numbers.

• Locked thread