Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
How did I not see this until today?!?!

I am unreasonably enthusiastic about Dorkroom projects. There's something appealing about doom-by-apathy.

I am IN IN IN IN IN! I haven't seen a notice that the door has closed, can I please please please be in on this?

Yond Cassius posted:

With any luck this project will work out better than my Astia giveaway.

I liked that project a lot, even if my contribution sucked (but was on time).

And I like Option 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I wouldn't drop out if the intro was largely / entirely in-jokes, but I'd much prefer a proper intro.

This is a comedy website and I think the intro / foreword should reflect that fact and mention SomethingAwful.com by name. I'm not insisting that it be jokes, I'd like it to be reasonably serious but with a flavour suited to the ironic / sarcastic theme we've already established with the title and cover image. We can be funny and ironic and sarcastic and silly (in fact, I'd really like that!) but in a way that's accessible to people outside this little echo-chamber and in a way that won't be instantly out-of-date as soon as ink splashes on paper.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Every contributor, and the originator of the idea* and the curator all have one thing in common - we're all members of this internet forum. I don't know any Dorkroom goons in real life except for my one meeting with Revolucion, a meeting entirely based on a thread in this forum. I don't follow anybody on Flickr or any other image-hosting site. I wouldn't know the name "Ansel Adams", let alone any other justifiably-famous professional or important photographer if not for the discussions here.

My photography is heavily influenced by the SomethingAwful.com Dorkroom. I might be an outlier in that respect, I don't know, but if it wasn't for the posters in this thread (and others), it's unlikely I'd take this photography hobby of mine half as seriously, or gain half as much from it.

I am not an artist, and I have spoken with a handful of self-described artists in my life - and I admit this is a point against any claims I might make to living a rich life. So I am unfamiliar with the level of importance granted by a body of work being curated by a single individual, absent any professional or institutional affiliation. If I'm accidentally implying that SA is comparable to a museum, I apologize, but I think this website is at least as significant a thread going through this project as anything else.

* Can we refer to elgarbo as the publisher?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My photos have been submitted. I included zero that I consider lovely.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ansel autisms posted:

Sent my list to elgarbo, I'll post here later tonight with the list if I don't get oppositions.

I am very excited to learn which of my lovely photos are least lovely.

\/\/\/ Awesome.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 18, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm on-board for KS if that's the thread consensus. I can think of a few people on my facebook who might swing for a copy if I posted a kickstarter link with a "hey folks I took some pictures and so did other people".

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

SoundMonkey posted:

im not making any promises but i'll see what i can do.

it'll be a k1000, kx, or lx though.

You're in/near Hamilton, right? I'll be in your area tomorrow morning, and I have an ME and an ME Super.

EDIT: Also, awesome work Elgarbo and I'm very happy with this whole thing.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Huh, I thought you were in southern Ontario for some reason, not GVA.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A $1600 AUD goal looks reasonable to me.

50 copies x $20/copy = $1000
Assume the average order is 3 copies to "the world": 50 / 3 * $40 = $666

If 50 international people order 1 copy each, they'll pledge $1750
If 10 international people order 5 copies each, they'll pledge $1550

I'm assuming your up-front costs are set at the cost of printing for 50 copies (fewer would be more per copy, I gather, and going up doesn't hit a nice price break until you request very large numbers of printed copies, yes?). The risk to you is pretty clear - not enough orders. So a high goal means you won't be sitting on a pile of unsold copies. The risk to the rest of us is that we don't reach the goal and nobody gets their copy of the 'zine.

Not that the risk to the rest of us is actually a risk. If this fails on the first go-around, we could presumably try again with a different pricing structure. I think your $1600 goal is good. Assuming the kickstarter fees don't eat a hole in your pocket.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
In for 4.

Thanks for putting this together.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

alkanphel posted:

I'll be quite amazed if someone other than us in here backs this.
Subjects of our photos aside, me too. But I still went ahead and spammed it on my twitter and facebook.

EDIT:

elgarbo posted:

And the huge surge of goon support has thrust us into the Featured Projects for photography.
I just looked, and Reciprocal Failure is the first thing that shows up when you click on the photography category. Cool!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
drat, I like your photos HookShot.

Also, I like the update - backers do get antsy in the absence of updates, even if there's really no news.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

elgarbo posted:

If we crack 100 copies we will see the first of the volume discounts but it isn't very much, maybe 80 cents per issue?

Anyway when it's all finished I'll do the sums and will post it here and we can figure out what to do with any spare dollars.

It's over 100 copies ordered by my count, so I think you can ponder a tinny of something higher class than VB.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I used to live a 5 minute walk from one of their distribution centers and they still never got stuff delivered on time. Maybe they've got better recently tho

Well there's your problem. Nobody walks to or from a postal distribution center, your house was too close. Somebody looks at the postal code and all they see is the distribution center's neighbourhood, so your stuff endlessly loops around inside their system.

I put in my name & address, and I'm actually hoping it's at least a month late - I'll be away for half of April and all of May, though if it does show up in that time I'll figure out how to get it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Sent you a PM requesting a ship-to address change - I'll be travelling for the next 6 weeks so I'd like you send mine to my parents.

Hopefully they won't open the package and suffer the crushing realization about what their son has become.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Mine hadn't arrived at my parents' place in Calgary when I left there 3 days ago. My mom said she'd take them to me when we all get together at my cousin's wedding June 25 if they've arrived in Calgary by then.

I'm not worried, yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I recieved a text from my mom today, she said "your magazines from Australia have arrived" which I take to mean they're OK, or at least the box is.

• Locked thread