Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I would definitely like to participate.

Word of caution: in my limited experience with projects like these, having too much "democracy" can sink the whole endeavor, and having concrete deadlines can be a life saver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

There is also print on demand option like magcloud. That way there is no production costs involved, and we have unlimited number of copies to sell.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

No.2 please.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I don't mind having humor in the introduction, but having random internet memes that are only local to SA is a bit much. Nothing screams "lack of effort" more than tired, lame jokes.

As for the "print readiness", do we have any other guidelines we could use? Are there any color profiles available? Do we know what paper is being used (glossy, matte etc.). I assume 300 dpi files are the standard. Also, I would assume that not everyone might want to have their images displayed as large as possible. Do we have any control of the layout of the two pages each person is allotted?

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I would prefer no words, personally. It's a disparate collection of images from many different people, there isn't much to be said other than "here are some pictures, we hope people like them (or not)"

Eh, since it is exactly that, it would be nice to have a short statement to tie them up into a cohesive whole, and present some sort of a framework.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Sent some photos out. Awaiting further instructions.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Uncalibrated TV will ruin my sublime and delicate tones of my masterworks!
Now I am not making the cut for sure!
At least I will have an explanation for being robbed of this magnificent opportunity.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

that's why I'm drinking an IPA

Keep drinking. Few more, and my photos will start looking good.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Go big (pages) or go home.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Yeah KS seems like a good idea. Extra 2.5 USD won't be a deal breaker, and maybe some of my friends and family might be silly enough to spring for a copy if it is open to people outside of dorkroom.

Quick question: will you be posting a mockup of the layout you are planning for the magazine? I am curious how you will be handling horizontal images in it.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

elgarbo posted:

Here's a basic mockup with a landscape oriented shots. Imagine the fold dividing these two pages:

Generally, shots are justified to the top of the page, centered with the bleed area as a border. Obviously that means portrait oriented shots get more page real estate but there's not much that can be done to solve that (other than crossing the fold, but then there wouldn't be space for two photos.) Obviously, I am open to any other suggestions that might solve this problem that I'm missing, but I've been poring over photobooks to get layout ideas and this is what I've found most palatable so far.

90% of submissions are in the same format, so I've been opting for symmetrical layouts across the double page spread. In the cases where I have different crop sizes or different orientations, I've just been experimenting until I find something that looks pleasing to my eye.

In some instances, I've been experimenting with black page backgrounds to add some contrast and variety. Not sure if I'm going to run with this in the final copy or not at this point. Open to feedback on this as well.

Looks pretty cool. I would consider aligning the caption with the left side of the photo, instead of centering it, and maybe use regular font for names instead of bold. Maybe having just one line of text. In my mind captions are meant to be unobtrusive, instead of being central to the page composition. Just my 2 cents.
The back background idea seems pretty neat!

nielsm posted:

You can't straight up rotate the page for landscape shots? So you rotate the zine to view those. I've certainly seen that done in print before.
I feel that you would usually need some "breaks" between horizontal and vertical layouts in order to inform the reader that a change in reading experience is coming. If you hit a page you have to rotate out of the blue, it can disrupt the "reading" flow and be jarring. Although I might just be over analyzing it.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Ric posted:

I've seen books where turning works very well, amongst other devices that remind the viewer that he/she is looking at a book.

I have been thinking about doing this in some of my books, but I haven't figured out how to make it work well. Mind dropping some titles where I could get some ideas of how to go about it?

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Really? We are turning this thing onto an internet meme?
I know that this is just a forum zine, but since people are putting time and money into this, I figured we would try to not be too childish about it.

Anyways, I figure that in the matters of layout and such things like the back cover, the guys preparing the zine should have the autonomy to choose what they want. Since we all contributed 5 photos and only 2 get selected, the best runner ups could be used for that. Or whatever the head honcho decides he wants to do.

That way if we decide to do this again with different editors, we could have variety in presentation, style and material between issues.

Just my 2 sleep deprived cents.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

elgarbo posted:

How awkward.

I had a message from one concerned observer asking why we had failed to include any female photographers.

Tell them I am female (I am not) since I am the only dumbass using a pseudonym in the magazine.

And if you are looking for photo examples, you can use one of mine if you would like.

And you should definitely spend all the leftover pennies on cheap Australian booze!

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I got two copies, if anyone is keeping track of this.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

The Broyles luck strikes again!

Thanks for going through with this elgarbo. I would definitely be interested in getting involved in this next time. Either Layouts/inDesign or selection or anything at all, really.
Hope to get my copy soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Got my two copies!
Thanks for the hard work elgarbo! It was packed really well!

• Locked thread