Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I imagine Smithy will criticize you for blowing up a mountain despite achieving everything else you set out to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

She also clearly failed to protect those Unity soldiers. :colbert:

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Poil posted:

She also clearly failed to protect those Unity soldiers. :colbert:

The Unity men didn't need protection, they were capable. Archer simply got in their way, being all womanly.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Felinoid posted:

Well that's a bit of an unceremonious end for the mystery ladies.

At least, the had the excitement they were so eager for.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Goddammit, deadmau5

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Great Joe posted:

Goddammit, deadmau5

????

Also, if they were wanting upper-class Scots, they could have tried to get a person with a Morningside accent to teach the V.A.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's hard to see much of it now, but when NOLF was released there was a really weird marketing push to make Cate Archer a gaming and fashion icon. There were "killer style" videos showing a model playing as her, there were ads to push her as "The Operative"...someone somewhere wanted her to be a new Lara Croft, and invested a fair chunk of money into it.

It all sank without trace, of course.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think scruffy showed the main menu? Yeah, they definitely tried to make Cate a poster girl for gaming.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Isn't she actually modeled after some photography model or something? I just remember reading that in a review somewhere.

bumblingbee
Dec 30, 2012

Gregbus? Gregbus, what's wrong? Answer me! GREGBUS!

Loxbourne posted:

It's hard to see much of it now, but when NOLF was released there was a really weird marketing push to make Cate Archer a gaming and fashion icon. There were "killer style" videos showing a model playing as her, there were ads to push her as "The Operative"...someone somewhere wanted her to be a new Lara Croft, and invested a fair chunk of money into it.

It all sank without trace, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPOaK3Z60dM

That trailer is weird compared to how the game actually is.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I don't know what's worse. How unceremoniously those elite guards appeared and subsequently died off, or if they'd just be there without a few cutscenes of them lazing around being bored.

I guess they were supposed to play a bigger part, but some cuts happened.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe if they had spent the time training instead of lounging they wouldn't have died so easily. :argh:

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Poil posted:

Maybe if they had spent the time training instead of lounging they wouldn't have died so easily. :argh:

While you lounge and complain, Cate Archer trains.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Geemer posted:

I don't know what's worse. How unceremoniously those elite guards appeared and subsequently died off, or if they'd just be there without a few cutscenes of them lazing around being bored.

I guess they were supposed to play a bigger part, but some cuts happened.

I'm mildly disappointed they didn't get the JRPG wacky themed boss squad with improbable powers and ludicrously overwrought backstories treatment.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So I guess those elite knights will now be bored ... in hell?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Blastinus posted:

Oh by the way, even if those Unity dudes are entirely expendable, I think the game still fails you if you shoot them yourself. Even if, as Scruffy mentioned, the first guy gets stuck in the doorway.

I mean, it makes sense, but at the same time, it really doesn't. They're supposed to die.

The first time I played this game I capped the first UNITY agent you can see from the balcony. I guess the "don't shoot" crosshair didn't register in my mind until after I shot him and failed the mission. I mean, there have been all these opportunities up until now to get cheap shots on blue-clad enemies who were waiting to ambush you. I figured it was more of the same!

Goodbye, Elite Guard. You lasted longer than 99.9% of HARM's grunts but you were still no match for Cate.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
After all the cut scene buildup I did expect more from the guards. A nice crazy boss fight like the first one in the second game, for instance.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I did some Googling and found that the Thompson/Center Contender (the Bacalov Corrector) is the newest weapon in the game, released in 1967 when this game takes place. I don't know of it shooting any explosive rounds, but it's got quick-swap barrels and can switch between a pistol grip and stock so it can be converted into a single-shot rifle or pistol of almost any major or minor caliber between .22 rimfire and .45-70 rifle rounds.

Wonderfully, someone made a custom pistol in .600 Nitro Express. This is what happens when you try to shoot it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lzri8dn7p0

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Well, this is a cliffhanger for sure. Why is the place going to explode? (Is it Volkov?) Who is the traitor within UNITY? It feels like we're getting very close to these answers.

Also, did anyone *not* see the twist with Archer having been poisoned by Wagner coming? Anyone at all?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

David Corbett posted:

Also, did anyone *not* see the twist with Archer having been poisoned by Wagner coming? Anyone at all?

To be honest, it never even occurred to me for some reason. I remembered the dart to the neck thing about two seconds before Cate blurted it out and thought to myself, "way to catch the important details, nimrod."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

KieranWalker posted:

To be honest, it never even occurred to me for some reason. I remembered the dart to the neck thing about two seconds before Cate blurted it out and thought to myself, "way to catch the important details, nimrod."

I thought it was a homing device, myself. Why else are the goons always finding Cate? (I mean, yeah, besides the whole traitor in UNITY thing...)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
The Corrector was my favorite weapon in MP. Good up close due to the explosive factor, and the scope meant you could hit people with it at long range. Shooting people off ziplines on the hydro dam map never got old :allears:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Many things explode in this video.

A Very Large Explosion
Scene 2/Polsy

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Kudos to Cate's voice actor for putting just the right amount of hatred into that last line.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Love that opening cutscene. UNITY and HARM really deserve each other.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What happens if you flick the switch, but don't get on the gondola?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I guess Felicity figured the Baron outlived his usefulness. At least he died doing what he loved!

And hey, this gives them at least 48 more hours before the next exploding rich person, right?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Huh. I just realized that Felicity referred to the Baron as "a child in the body of a man. A very large man." The chapter title is A Very Large Explosion.

Speedball posted:

I guess Felicity figured the Baron outlived his usefulness. At least he died doing what he loved!

And hey, this gives them at least 48 more hours before the next exploding rich person, right?

The Baron was largely useful as a cover. A rich guy attracts a lot of attention, the wife of a rich guy attracts less. Additionally, if a lot of rich guys blow up, who would pay attention to the wife of one of the victims?

But since her cover is clearly blown by now, no point keeping the Baron around.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 30, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

But since her cover is clearly blown by now

Hehehehehehe....

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Samovar posted:

What happens if you flick the switch, but don't get on the gondola?

Another one cycles around after a few seconds.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Smithy kept busting our chops for every little thing that went wrong, I hope he gives the dumbasses who left us on the mountain latrine duty till the 1980s roll around.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Speedball posted:

Smithy kept busting our chops for every little thing that went wrong, I hope he gives the dumbasses who left us on the mountain latrine duty till the 1980s roll around.

"I am absolutely shocked that you not only failed to save the Baron, but you let a mountain blow up. Do you realize what impact this will have on the local geology decades from now? You've practically sentenced the entire area's ecosystem to death. I guess you deserve some praise for defeating Volkov and getting the list."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Not to mention the strongly worded communique we received from the government of Austria."

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
RIP Baron Dumas. Glad Bruno can rest easy now too. Game's not over yet of course. :)

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
No corpse, no proof, no death. :colbert:

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Nuramor posted:

No corpse, no proof, no death. :colbert:

Seriously, that's how spy thrillers work.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's still the small matter of the mole in our midst.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Oh hey, it's the end of the game.

First video up is a collection of all the mission briefings. I probably should have just stuck each of these in at the start of their respective mission but...welp, it just slipped my mind!

Mission Briefings

Second up, well. Let's tie down all those loose ends, shall we?

Such Is The Nature Of Revenge
Scene 1/Polsy

See you nerds in about a month for Arkham Knight!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah, the wonderful ending to wrap everything up. Do NOT miss the after credits scene. Dun dun dunnn!.

Thanks for spying hard for us. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Thanks for the LP, Scruffy. Always a joy to watch you play through games. This game definitely deserved a good LP.

• Locked thread