Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Good LP. Thank you, Scruffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Hot drat, that was a fine LP of a fine game, with some extremely fine writing! I love how things are tied up, and that post credits shocker is... Definitely one hell of a shock! Looking forward to 2, and also hoping legal woes regarding NOLF get cleared up at some point.

Hehe, poor Bruno, he's gonna be sore for a while, methinks!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
2's writing is weaker, both in execution and in the style of humor - it goes from spy fiction spoof to outright comedy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, it's still a great game.

Anyway, loved the LP and looking forward to whatever you do next.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
For such a rollicking action game, NOLF's finale is surprisingly John le Carre in its last cold moments.

And all the better for it, I'd say - the game's core theme has been a quiet satire of spy genre by running it through a slightly more realistic filter than usual. Its unionised, philosophy-quipping guards and robot attack poodles fit well in a world where even the funkadelic secret organisations are launching their plans for, ultimately, very cynical reasons.

And yes, those last ten seconds post-credits are glorious.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
That post credit scene....

I shouldn't be surprised, and yet I am :downs:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
And just like that, it's all over except the shooting shouting. I kinda forgot how :words: the denouement of this game was. Still, it all wraps up nicely. And alas, the puppet may have been the smartest person on HARM but the puppet master wasn't smart enough.

Thank you for playing through this for us, scruffy. Looking forward to what comes next.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Was there a briefing you missed for Berlin By Night, and maybe the one where you have to sneak around hte corporate office avoiding people (or is that all a part of A Man of Influence?)

I liked all the speculation.
"Bruno isn't really dead!"
"Tom is the traitor!"
"Smithy is the traitor!"

How about "All of the above?" :allears:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Was there a briefing you missed for Berlin By Night, and maybe the one where you have to sneak around hte corporate office avoiding people (or is that all a part of A Man of Influence?)

I liked all the speculation.
"Bruno isn't really dead!"
"Tom is the traitor!"
"Smithy is the traitor!"

How about "All of the above?" :allears:

And I was so drat close with the permadrunk man

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The ending of this game is so good. I'd forgotten just how good. :allears:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

drat. Looks like I did miss Berlin By Night. The office falls under A Man Of Influence though.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
It wouldn't be a good spy thriller without a boatload of twists at the end now, would it?

Oh yeah, I didn't mention it back when we did Misfortune in Morocco, but there's a unique feature about Bruno's "corpse." Specifically, if you happen to shoot his body, the game will fail you for "disrespecting the dead." That should have been the first clue that something was up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm amazed Dr. Schenker didn't die. Usually the defecting scientist who gets captured...twice!...doesn't live.

Pretty fitting end for Felicity. Such a spiteful person she'd blow herself up just to stop you.

I'm guessing the reason the whole town didn't blow up with her is due to how they mentioned the organic explosive work: the bigger the person, and the more people caught in the initial blast, the bigger the boom gets. Getting everyone off the street meant she only blew herself up. And she was pretty skinny.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I love the final bickering. Kate is totally justified in being outraged at the emotional exploitation - but so is Bruno because it really was the best way to proceed, he couldn't know if Kate would be a convincing actor, and the less people involved in a conspiracy the stronger it is. Also kudos for the heroine not taking poo poo at the end of the game.

Though in my mind's eye while the credits began to roll Kate was chasing after Bruno tom-and-jerry-style.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The best way to fool your enemies is to fool your friends!

Especially close friends!

Also no one suspects the drop-down drunk dude. Even if he appears where he really shouldn't.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Is this really the end of this game? I remember my PC copy having one more bonus mission called Rest & Relaxation where Cate is on some tropical island trying to get some R&R but of course it doesn't pan out.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
R&R was an additional level added to the GOTY edition of NOLF. It wasn't in the original release.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Huh.

I never even knew there was an after-credits scene. That certainly puts things in a VERY different light.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blastinus posted:

It wouldn't be a good spy thriller without a boatload of twists at the end now, would it?

Oh yeah, I didn't mention it back when we did Misfortune in Morocco, but there's a unique feature about Bruno's "corpse." Specifically, if you happen to shoot his body, the game will fail you for "disrespecting the dead." That should have been the first clue that something was up.

At the very beginning of the LP I hinted at there being something unique with Bruno, but refused to say for fear of spoiling it. Along with getting a game over if you shoot him, pouring body disposal powder on his corpse has no effect.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:stare: Wasn't expecting that.

Loved the game and the LP!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Thanks for the LP! I'm eagerly waiting for the second (and sadly, last) chapter of this saga.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

And I thought the MGS games had a monopoly on post-credit stingers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, earlier in the thread (when there was serious discussion over who the traitor might be) I mentioned that the traitor had actually said their motivation out loud, with no attention drawn to it. Recall that after Bruno was "killed" and accused of being the traitor, Smithy had suggested that he may have been upset about approaching mandatory retirement and was willing to sell out UNITY to avoid the insult of being taken off the active list.

In reality, Smithy was revealing his own reasons for betraying UNITY right to your face.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

It's a shame that Smithy was the traitor, I think it was much more interesting if he ended up just being a dick who realised the error of his ways through witnessing Cate's exploits.

Anyway thanks for another excellent LP!

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, earlier in the thread (when there was serious discussion over who the traitor might be) I mentioned that the traitor had actually said their motivation out loud, with no attention drawn to it. Recall that after Bruno was "killed" and accused of being the traitor, Smithy had suggested that he may have been upset about approaching mandatory retirement and was willing to sell out UNITY to avoid the insult of being taken off the active list.

In reality, Smithy was revealing his own reasons for betraying UNITY right to your face.

Well, Smithy was already taken off the active field list and put into management for some time. Mandatory retirement is for field operations. I think the exchange with Bruno at the beginning of the game (who was still active) did a good job portraying his dissatisfaction with this decision. And the cemetery cutscene all but confirms it. He sold out so that UNITY would be under pressure to dismiss his co-director Mr Jones due to his support of Cate in the face of the repeated mission compromises. Then with the change of management he would be free to clear house or take the money and run.

I think his intense dislike of Cate would be genuine even if he wasn't pulling the rug from under her at every given opportunity.

It may not knock your socks off like a Kojima bender but the writing for NOLF is pretty competent. Give yourself a pat on the back, Scruffy! IN HELL!

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 2, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I wasn't even the one playing and I feel deeply satisfied with the ending to this game. drat good stuff.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
The ending was a bit :words:, but honestly if they'd done more showing over the game than they already did, it would've tipped their hand, so I can excuse it. The doubling up on traitors is a nice twist, too. You expect that the final shot on fake Goodman came from someone other than Cate, but when he turns the gun on her it does surprise you a touch because of how nicely they had wrapped his "mean guy sees the error of his ways" arc just prior.

The revelations are spaced very very well, too. The fake Goodman's fight puts enough space between his reveal and Smithy's that if Goodman being alive surprised you, you've got time to relax and assume there's only one reveal before it hits you with the second one. Then Bruno shows up juuuuust as you're starting to wind down from Smithy, but not so long that you have time to think "if there were two twists, maybe there's a third", this time to keep you reeling instead of applying a fresh coat. And then it drops all the small behind-the-scenes stuff rapid-fire for a very nice :aaaaa:. I can't help but admire such good pacing.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Thanks for showing off such a great game Scruffy! Man I wish I had found this game when I was younger, it would have been a blast to play.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The game has its rough spots (the Elite Guard girls have no payoff, there's no cutscene setting up Inga Wagner as a boss fight, probably cut content there) but it was also way advanced for its time in other ways. Vehicle segments before Half Life 2 had them, stealth mechanics before it was popular for shooters to have them, and fuckin' great writing.

rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011

Speedball posted:

The game has its rough spots (the Elite Guard girls have no payoff, there's no cutscene setting up Inga Wagner as a boss fight, probably cut content there) but it was also way advanced for its time in other ways. Vehicle segments before Half Life 2 had them, stealth mechanics before it was popular for shooters to have them, and fuckin' great writing.

Agreed. And one thing NOLF has in spades is soul. The music, subtle period references, solid voice acting, the hilarious optional conversations between guards, and the mission themes combine to make a game that feels generally cohesive and memorable. Granted, there were bits of the game I'd forgotten since I last played it almost ten years ago, but they were far outweighed by the unforgettable overdone set pieces-- the space station, the impromptu skydiving act, the safe with a ridiculous number of lasers, blowing up cars in the desert by sniping the gas tank, the man trying to sell a monkey. This sort of atmosphere was particularly unique when the game first came out, and it's something a lot of AAA games still don't get right.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game absolutely owned and I'm really grateful to get to see it, seeing as between the legal woes and tech issues I'll probably never get to play it.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The best way to fool your enemies is to fool your friends!

Especially close friends!

Also no one suspects the drop-down drunk dude. Even if he appears where he really shouldn't.

I always loved that reveal. The strange fixation that H.A.R.M. base architects seemed to have with lounges suddenly made sense.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
but...what does HARM stand for?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Human, Aliens, Robots, and Monsters. It's an alliance of evil!

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

anilEhilated posted:

2's writing is weaker, both in execution and in the style of humor - it goes from spy fiction spoof to outright comedy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, it's still a great game.

Any weaknesses the second game may have are immediately forgiven once you reach the second boss fight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Spatula City posted:

'Having A Rasberry Martini' it seems.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie

Spatula City posted:

If you didn't figure out by watching the LP, I don't think you'll ever truly understand.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

EricFate posted:

Any weaknesses the second game may have are immediately forgiven once you reach the second boss fight.
Or the moment Cate's sidekick is revealed.

Spatula City posted:

This gets, uh, addressed in the sequel, by the utterly fantastic HARM HR department.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Really enjoyed this LP, and the timing on episode releases was fantastic. Almost every time I'd come home hosed up there'd be a new episode waiting for me while I mashed some food into my mouth and then passed out

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Or the moment Cate's sidekick is revealed.

The chase scene is quite memorable as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Spatula City posted:

Generally, they stand for world domination.

• Locked thread