Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'll always remember the OMM review:
http://www.oldmanmurray.com/longreviews/751.html

For those not in the know (good lord I'm old) Old Man Murray was an early satirical gaming news site that was differentiated from others of the era because they were actually clever and would call out specific industry figures. That and they had no interest in actually providing news instead just goofing on things. It was pretty uneven, and got pretty monkeycheese before the phenomenon really existed, but since it was such a small pool of readers at the time they had a real influence. For years they would mercilessly crap on anything that Monolith put out, and the failings of the LithTech engine. And then NOLF came out. In their words:

quote:

Speaking of not living forever, when DeForest Kelley dropped dead after his brave struggle against being incredibly old for a really long time, Erik heard the Hans Grüber voice that lives in the hole in his head and that we're both pretty sure is God say "eventually, I'll get around to killing someone you do care about." Both of us assumed God meant Freddie Prinze, Jr. Little did we know he was talking about the guy at Monolith who was apparently responsible for them making nothing but terrible games. Our condolences go out to that guy's wife and kids. Your daddy was good at his job, honey. He was the best friend a guy who writes a derisive website about video games could ever ask for.

The authors went to to work at Valve, and I believe wrote the majority of Portal 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Psion posted:

I'd completely and totally forgotten that hypothermia bit at the end but as soon as the timer ticked up on the screen it was like "oh! poo poo! I remember this! You run down that canyon and you get to a house" and then hey, what happened? That.

Memory is weird, NOLF is good. Well, that's my post for the day.

The weird thing for me is I know that I beat both of these, watched Vexation's original LPs when he did them, and I have no memory of the space station level At All. I guess I was drinking a lot when I was a kid.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My guess on the trees is that it's an inadvertent coincidence for LoD textures switching from far/medium to near. (which was probably the joke)

• Locked thread