Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I came into possession of these coin bowls and although I know they aren't super uncommon, I can't find any that look quite like these. Also sorry about the fuzzy pictures, I don't have the right lens to photograph this kind of thing so I had to get by on my phone's macro mode.

http://imgur.com/a/i7GXg

The one with the dollar coin is stamped "sterling Hong Kong" on the back, and dated 1911. The one with the ships has no markings that I can find. I'm wondering if these are rare or unique in anyway so I can be extra smug when I discard peanut shells in them. I've seen a lot of similar looking ones one eBay and the like but none of them are this "old" (assuming the stamped date was when it was actually made) or as ornate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

semihippie
Jul 28, 2004
The Wanderer
One of the coins is apparently from a British Trade Dollar. See the link here:

http://www.obsoletecoin.com/2013/07/british-trade-dollar-coins-price.html

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

You'll need to get them appraised by someone who knows their stuff. An auction house or a jeweler would be a good place to start.

I doubt anyone is going to be able to tell you much about their value based on some fuzzy pictures.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

semihippie posted:

One of the coins is apparently from a British Trade Dollar. See the link here:

http://www.obsoletecoin.com/2013/07/british-trade-dollar-coins-price.html

They're still the currency in Hong Kong.

The other one is a kuomintang era Chinese silver dollar.

I see they're being offered for quite high prices on ebay, but I wouldn't get excited, as no coin collector's going to want one that's been fitted into a bowl.

You see that coin, and others of the era, being sold as souvenirs quite a lot, probably always fake.

I'm going to guess that the idea is that the surrounding bowl is made of the same silver as the coin.

I've never seen bowls quite like those before, but bowls made from coin silver were pretty common across east and south asia at the period. My grandmother had a big burmese plate which was, she always said, made from rupees of a particular vintage (because they had the best silver percentage to be workable but durable).

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

Deteriorata posted:

You'll need to get them appraised by someone who knows their stuff. An auction house or a jeweler would be a good place to start.

I doubt anyone is going to be able to tell you much about their value based on some fuzzy pictures.

Hey, I've seen far worse photos than these, usually in the 'Piss Christ' style created by uncorrected indoor lighting and a sad ignorance of macro zoom. I quite often value C19 and C20 jewellery -- silver knick-knacks, not so much, and coins not at all, but I'll give this a whirl. These are called 'pin dishes' in the UK antiques trade (in the US they seem to get called 'candy dishes') and they're not rare, either with inset coins or without, but they do have value.

They were used on dressing tables to hold hairpins, removable buttons, collar studs, and the like. As has been said, these coins used are not worth mutilating the dish to extract, even if it were possible to do it without scarring the coin. But there are people who collect numismatic jewellery and trinkets, and this is a separate branch of collecting from the currency purists. The coins used were almost never rarities, and prices are accordingly not too crazy.

That said, the Chinese silver Junk dollar -- at least, I assume it has a portrait of Sun Yat-sen on the other side, if not, we have a problem -- is one I've never personally seen on one of these dishes (the Hong Kong dollar crops up again and again). But there is a similar square 'Junk dollar' dish for sale on Rubylane, priced optimistically; keep an eye on it and see if it sells.

As Mr Enderby hinted, and is mentioned halfway down the link below, a bunch of silver restrikes of this coin were made during the mid C20. But the style of the dish looks considerably earlier than that to me, and the coin isn't so uncommon that yours couldn't be an original:

http://www.kenelks.co.uk/chinese/chineserepublic.htm

I estimate the other dish would cost about $100 to buy from a dealer. You would get less if you sold it (and auction houses take their cut).

I am pretty sure from the photos that the engraving and hammered finish is applied by hand, and that both the dishes are indeed silver – though they would probably not have been made by melting down coins, which is usually only done to make jewellery, in areas where jewellers have trouble finding good-quality raw materials. But these dishes are 'Export Silver' pieces made for direct sale to the Western market, hence all the dragons, junks, and pagodas. Sometimes such items are stamped to that effect on the reverse, with the maker's name and place of manufacture, sometimes it's just 'Sterling' and/or 'Silver', sometimes there's an assortment of Chinese characters and/or random Latin-alphabet letters, and quite often there's no mark at all, even though the silver grade is usually Sterling (925/1000 parts silver) or somewhere near it. A jeweller can rapidly test an unmarked dish to confirm it's silver, not silver plate.

Still pretty snazzy, well-crafted things for holding peanut shells, though.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

When did i ask about the value? I was curious as to what exactly they are.

Thanks you carnival for that wealth of knowledge!

Edit; the junk dollar does have the portrait I somehow forgot to include the image

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 16, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DarthJeebus posted:

When did i ask about the value? I was curious as to what exactly they are.

Thanks you carnival for that wealth of knowledge!

Edit; the junk dollar does have the portrait I somehow forgot to include the image

Someone familiar enough with them to know their value would also know their history and whether or not they were genuine. The process of appraisal involves figuring out where it came from, who made it, and when, and thus what it's value would be.

Hence, an appraiser would almost certainly be able to answer all your questions about them, even if you don't care about the monetary value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

Someone familiar enough with them to know their value would also know their history and whether or not they were genuine. The process of appraisal involves figuring out where it came from, who made it, and when, and thus what it's value would be.

Hence, an appraiser would almost certainly be able to answer all your questions about them, even if you don't care about the monetary value.

I hear you, but i have no interest in paying for an appraisal when they aren't likely even worth the cost. Which Is why I decided to ask an Internet comedy forum. I feel pretty sastified with at least the basic understanding I've gained on them.

• Locked thread