Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Require More Fire posted:

Is Snapchat running slow as gently caress for anyone else, particularly on a Nexus 5X? Lags when you open it, lags updating stories.

Yeah, it's been frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Podcast Addict is crazy great and it just keeps getting better.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ape Agitator posted:

Help me fall in love with it. I'm mostly stuck trying to navigate tiny menus for simple things like going to my downloaded episodes page. Is there a way to streamline the menus or gesture to them directly? At this point in my life I just go between car mode player, playlist, downloaded episodes, and subscribed podcasts.

I'll try, but the best I can do is try to describe my workflow, I think. I stay on top of ~30 podcast subscriptions over a week, and PA has been the only thing that lets me manage that. To me, that's because I have it set up so I really only have to refer to the playlist and home screen widget.

It does have a lot of menus, but the most important one is the Settings that you access from the main Podcasts page. (Also, you can bring the left navigation drawer up with a left edge swipe in from anywhere, if you didn't know. That main Settings button is available there as well.)

From that Settings I get PA working the way I want: it checks for podcasts once a day; downloads the latest episodes, and automatically adds them to the playlist. Automatic cleanup is on so that when I finish an episode, it is removed from the playlist and goes in the trash for a day before being deleted.

After that, there are a couple of shows I have individual custom override settings for, like telling Science Friday to download the 3 most recent episodes instead of 1 so that it picks up both one hour shows every week and so forth. That's it, basically, as a consumption system it fits me like a glove. I check my playlist in the morning to see what's new and shuffle things around as the day goes.

e: I'll also just mention that the original thing that got me using Podcast Addict was buying archives of Hardcore History; the link for old episodes wouldn't work in BeyondPod or PocketCasts, only iTunes or Podcast Addict would handle it correctly. That really forced me to start using PA and a great love was born. That was in April, I don't know if the competition has fixed that issue yet, but I do know that PA has gotten regular development with new useful features over that time.

Manky fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 29, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

program666 posted:

What would be the downside of solid explorer? Lack of network browsing or something?

No downside, it's a great app.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

c0burn posted:

What's the best password manager that supports both android (chrome) and windows (firefox) and is free or if paid, really worth the :10bux:? There's so many and I want some goon input.

Dashlane Premium is $40/year and my favorite of the choices out there. Their automatic password changer is pretty cool to see in action. Doesn't support every single website out there yet, but it gets a lot. The android app is really slick, can fill in apps as well as Chrome. Gets a lot of active development, fixing bugs and improving things.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Require More Fire posted:

So I think I'm going to switch over to BeyondPod from PocketCasts because BP supports paid podcasts, but I don't see a setting for cutting out silences like PocketCasts has. Am I missing it or do they not have such a feature?

Podcast Addict has that feature and also supports paid podcasts and also is awesome.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

DaRealAce posted:

This is a little off topic but can you provide some examples of paid casts?

For instance: Dan Carlin's archives (totally worth it); The Young Turks Network has full episodes behind a paywall (tried it, stopped my membership within the first month)

hooah posted:

About BeyondPod, is there a way to mark all episodes before a certain one as read?

Podcast Addict does this too

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

fluppet posted:

So what's the recommended replacement for ES file Explorer as it's becoming more and more bloated with unnecessary crap?

Much love for Solid Explorer.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Superdawg posted:

I'm an avid PocketCasts user. I have 51 podcasts that I typically follow. I often like to discuss specific topics with coworkers, but sometimes I want to refer back to an episode that I listened to in the past, whether it be for clarification or recommendation.

Often times, I go back and pull older episodes and listen to those as well.

I haven't seen any functionality in PocketCasts that will show a historical list of what I have listened to. When I'm trying to refer back to an episode of a podcast that is a year old, it's nearly impossible to find again within a few seconds during the discussion. It's extremely annoying.

Are there any other apps that provide this functionality?t

Are you looking for an app that would extend that functionality to Pocket Casts? If so, I'm afraid I don't know of any. I'm torn on saying "Podcast Addict will do that" since it probably doesn't help you to migrate at this point, but for reference, Podcast Addict does keep a nice searchable listening history.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Superdawg posted:

I just took a tour through Podcast Addict, and I don't see any reference to a played podcast history.

To clarify, if I listen to Podcast X episode 400, then Podcast Y episode 20, and finally Podcast X episode 100, then I would like to see a list that reflects that history.

It's on the sidebar/sliding menu, look for Playback History. I'm not sure if it's enabled by default, sorry - go into Settings (there's a button for it from that sliding menu) and go to Sliding Menu and turn it on if it isn't.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

devilwu posted:

TVShow Time : website + app

Thanks, I just gave this a shot and it seems great.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

So if I wanted to use my Cardboard to watch a 3d movie, how would I go about doing that? Do people even sell 3d movies in a format you can watch those in?

Is there a dedicated Cardboard thread by any chance?

The easiest way to do this, assuming you've already got the movie as a ready-to-play file, is to get it on your phone and use FullDive or VR Player to open it, they both will give you options for sbs or over/under video. When it works, FullDive works better for me, but it mysteriously doesn't see every file I put on my phone.

I don't know of a cardboard-specific thread, but the VR megathread is inclusive of the latest hmds as well as cardboard and gearvr stuff.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm on the TVShowTime train now, thanks to whoever suggested it last time this came up.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

XIII posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/16/new-skiftkey-beta/

They just added a clipboard manager to SwiftKey Beta and I already think it's a great feature. Being able to pin something that you say a lot then copy it to your clipboard quickly is really nifty. Plus, it'll be even better when paired with PushBullet's universal copy/paste (which I initially thought would be useless, but I find myself using constantly).

Oh nice, looks like I'll give Swiftkey a shot to win me back.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Funso Banjo posted:

No, sometimes it will simply unpause, as expected.

Other times it will rewind ten minutes and unpause, rather than just unpause.

I had that problem just a couple of times when Astronomy Cast put out a few episodes with screwed up files. Unfortunately I have no advice except to see if there's a pattern to when it happens and go from there.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

This reminds me of the one thing that bothers me about Chrome on Windows versus OS X. I frequently close a tab and need to go back to it but it's not the last tab I closed. On OS X, there's the Menu Bar and in it a History list that gives me access to the last ten domains I had open. On Windows there's only right click on the tab bar, reopen most recently closed tab. I bump into that annoyance constantly on Windows.

Windows Chrome: What do you get if you click the hamburger menu and hover over history?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Twidere is free and gives a lot of options for refreshing/downloading, check it out.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

It is, but it's buried and I don't use it because it's buried.

That menu is one click away, LIL. Not two. I really wouldn't consider it "buried" by any means. :D

Funso Banjo posted:

Upon further experimentation, When I use the button on my headphones it pauses, and when I press it again, it starts playing. It has rewound x minutes, however. X being roughly equal to the number of minutes I spent paused.

I didn't switch this "feature" on, and it doesn't do this with half of the podcasts I use. Though there seems to be no logical correlation as to which podcasts this occurs with, it seems completely random.

I think it's likely an unsolvable bug, and I'll probably have to try another podcast client. I'll probably come back in a month or two and see if it's sorted, because it's otherwise I really like Podcast Addict.

I think this has got to be a bug - have you tried contacting the developer?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

One click, move the cursor down and mouseover, then wait for the submenu to jump out versus one click and no wait. It's too buried for me. v :) v

I want to save your lost tabs from limbo! Last thing I'm going to say - next time you're using Chrome on Windows, try hitting alt, then space, then h.

Never leave a tab behind.

Manky fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 28, 2016

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Acid Reflux posted:

What do I use to replace Evernote? They're switching to extortion-level monthly pricing for use on more than two devices. All I need is something simple to sync occasional shorts notes and lists between my Windows desktop and some Android gadgets. I'm not in a power user scenario here. I don't mind buying an app if needed, but I'll be damned if I'm giving Evernote 8 bucks every month.

I've been doing their cheaper Plus plan, which is only going up a dollar to 3.99 a month or $35 a year. If I had to switch I'd go to OneNote, though, definitely.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Arrow Launcher is my new favorite.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

I have a Nexus 10 tablet laying around that I don't use as and thought to set it up as a motion activated camera in my home to spy on my cat who has recently developed a bad behavior. Does anyone here have experience using an Android device like this? I'm just polling for opinions before I start going through apps trying to find one that's good to use.

I used to use Manything on an old iPhone for this, it looks like they finally have a beta app for Android, though it seems it may not work if that N10 is already on Marshmallow.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

This is me, I also do not have contact photos in SMS threads in hangouts. I also don't like allo. I am hosed.

Oh yeah, +1 for this. My contacts have photos in the main conversation view. But open any SMS conversation, and good bye contact photo.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tunga posted:

Any opinions on Dashlane? It's expensive but people seem to like it. Not sure what the Android support is like.

I've been using it a couple years and like it a lot.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I used to use AnimGIF live wallpaper for that, but yeah, super not worth it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

Pocket Casts looks way better, but Beyond Pod has way more functionality. I'm not quite sure how Pocket Casts gets its list of podcasts, since it seems to have its own little selection thing, but I've yet to come across a podcast I wanted to listen to that hasn't been on it. There's also a one time fee you can pay that'll let you use their web interface on PC, with full time-syncing between all versions. It's pretty sweet and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Beyond Pod is what you use if you don't care if it looks super pretty, you want all the options. Using your own files requires this weird workaround on Pocket Casts, but you can just point Beyond Pod to a directory and play whatever you want. I was listening to old episodes of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History for example, and managed to get them working by throwing them all in google drive on my pc, downloading them on my phone, and pointing Beyond Pod at my downloads folder. I did have issues with it sometimes not keeping the time which is kind of a huge problem when you're dealing with 4 hour episodes like I was, but for the most part it did it's job well enough.

Basically, Pocket Casts is story great for normal use while Beyond Pod covers basically every possible use case at the expense of design and user friendliness.

Playing HH archives is what led me to Podcast Addict . I suppose that was close to two years ago now. At the time, I used all three of those apps side by side, and Podcast Addict was and is absolutely my favorite - and the only one that appropriately handled the paid HH archives.

e: for anyone who may be curious, a lot of my posts in this thread have been about Podcast Addict and setting it up.

Manky fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 6, 2016

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

endolithic posted:

Are there any podcast apps that allow you to search within a podcast for a particular episode by title and such?

I know Podcast Addict does.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to phreak my way into a condo with a whistle like the ol' days

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Drifter posted:

Are there any ambiance / white noise apps that aren't garbage?

I use this one, really like its featureset
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmsoft.whitenoise.full

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

peepsalot posted:

Is there an augmented reality Android app that overlays translation of text in real time? I thought this was the promise of "goggles" from the beginning, but whenever I try it, it ends up being a waste of time.

This got built into Google Translate after they bought WordLens

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sad Panda posted:

I've been using BeyondPod for ages but finally got round to rooting my Moto G3 so decided to try out Podcast Addicts & PocketCasts. Pocket Casts was incredibly laggy and unresponsive, pressing the fast forward button would literally take 10 seconds to jump (while still playing), and Podcast Addicts seems to be killing my battery.

Any idea of what would be causing either of those? If I can't resolve them then back to BeyondPod for me.

Are you streaming with Podcast Addict, or downloading the file and playing back locally? If you're not the latter, try it, I imagine it should be a big improvement.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sad Panda posted:

Not streamed, all downloaded to my SD card and played at 1.3x speed, the same as I'd do on BeyondPod.

Might be the 1.3x, I think I remember seeing a lot worse battery life when I was listening to things sped up. Afraid I don't really have a solution, I stopped listening to things at increased speed partly because of that issue and partly because I realized I was putting unrealistic expectations on my time and getting unnecessarily stressed (that part's probably more "just me").

Incessant Excess posted:

Does Podcast Addict have an option to auto download podcasts once they are added to the playlist? That's one thing I miss from Pocket Casts which I had to abandon because the support for password protected feeds was not where I needed it to be.

Sort of, the way I know offhand to accomplish this is sort of reverse. Under Playlist settings, I have it set to automatically add downloaded episodes to the playlist. So rather than adding an episode to the playlist in order for it to be downloaded, I would hit an episode to download and it gets added to the playlist.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
When you do a Podcast Addict backup I'm quite sure it prompts you to save to cloud during the process. I've done a few moves just doing that to google drive and it has been excellent

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

Right, but if you ignore this and save to the app's own directory it's gone. That's a poor design, sorry.

Genuine question, what's the bulletproof design solution for a user ignoring warnings, blowing past explanatory text, and then deleting their data without verifying their backup?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

That's not the fault of the system. At worst, it's a failure of the app to inform you that you may lose important data, but it sounds like it did that, so this is just user error.

I've of the greatest improvements in mobile OS's over the desktop is effective boxing in of applications, this is absolutely how it should be.

This. "Stash a potentially large archive somewhere so it sticks around after they uninstall the app" is hella not the answer. For one thing, a user who is in this position has not been reading! Or else they'd be saving to the cloud! So they'll never know they have the backup because they won't have read where it was saved and nobody just traipses around their filesystem and are gonna notice a new file in some Androidass subfolder.

And if they do? It's six months later and they just get pissed off (correctly) that garbage has been left sitting there.

e: wait, what?

syscall girl posted:

Let me tell you a story about ES File Explorer and a little folder called Baidu

The punchline is a ton of ayndroid apps call home to Mountain View but we don't care why?

:allears:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

If I want to easily keep a 60 gig or so music library on computer and phone, is Google Play Music the only real option I have to do so easily and automatically without paying for expanded space on something like Dropbox?

Do you really just wanna keep 60gigs of the same files on both? Use Resilio Sync and just share the main folder across both and use your local player of choice. If you'd rather stream from your computer as needed, you could try Plex

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Most of my posts in this thread are about Podcast Addict and why it's super great. That will continue as appropriate

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, feedly is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
^^^^ that's an awesome offer and service. Really been enjoying ttrss, thanks again Therm!