Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Uthor posted:

My old Creative mp3 player had a random album button that I haven't been able to find in any piece of software since then. That's the one thing that I would die for. (In GPM, I play a random track, then go to the album, then play that album. It's clunky, but works.)

I don't know any Android app with that functionality, but foobar2000 has it and that's the primary reason I still bother with a dedicated music program on my PC. (My old iPod also did it, but those days are long gone.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

me your dad posted:

I'm surprised there's nothing simple. I'm not sure I want to suggest another browser for my mom, as that might confuse her. I was hoping for the equivalent of a Chrome plugin that would be as simple as that.

There's nothing simple because Google doesn't want you installing adblockers in Chrome on Android.

Samsung Internet or Firefox will let you do it easily and shouldn't be too confusing for her.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Are Firefox and Lightning still the recommendations for alternatives to Chrome? I'm mainly looking for something that's better at blocking ads and redirects. Ideally something that lets you block specific elements and domains like Adblock on desktop.

Samsung Browser as well, it's genuinely one of the best options.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bringing this over from the other Android thread, since this might be a better place for it:

disaster pastor posted:

I'm kind of at my wits' end trying to figure out an issue with some SMS messages and I'd appreciate any help.

I've gone from a Galaxy S10+ to an S22 to now an S24+. I've discovered that some inbound SMS/MMS did not get transferred to my S24+ by Smart Switch or SMS Backup and Restore. After further digging, I know this much: it's every inbound SMS from my time on the S10+ (which has unfortunately been traded in already), it's only the inbound because I can see my replies, Google Messages does not see them on the S22, SMS Backup and Restore and SMS Import / Export likewise do not capture them (searching the XML/JSON files for a known phrase returns no results), but if I switch back to Textra on the S22, which I used until only a few months ago, I do see them in there. I've installed Textra on the S24+, but it doesn't pull them up, so it's not that they've been transferred but are still invisible to Messages.

I don't understand why Textra can see them on the S22 but the other apps can't. I tried clearing cache and data for Messages, but that didn't work. I have to think that if Textra can see them, they must be accessible somehow and there's a way to transfer them, but I don't have any other ideas.

I'd shrug and move on, text messages aren't meant to be permanent, except that some of those messages have major sentimental value to me and I'd like to be able to pull them up without digging out my old phone. Any ideas are appreciated!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

How do I see the recent/still open apps in Samsung UI? What I mean by this is that I open up my browser, start surfing, realize I have to look at my calendar o I swipe up and open that up, but when I'm done I want to see the browser again? Do I have to just go back into the locker and click the icon again? What if I want to see what apps are still running and close them to spare RAM?

This wasn't an issue because I was running a different loader that has keys at the bottom the the screen but it's been buggy.

Assuming you have an S24-series, the swipe mechanics on that one are the default: swiping up from the bottom and holding for a second will bring up your open apps. (If you've installed Good Lock and NavStar, you can reinstate the Samsung swipe mechanics, which are just "swipe up where that button would be.")