Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bright Bart posted:

I came across Windows Defender while in the Play Store. I hadn't even know there was a mobile version, actually.

So now I'm wondering two things: 1) Is there any real point of an antivirus program on Android when you run all the default safety features in that unrooted OS? 2) What free or near-free AV would you recommend?

[Sorry for posting this in both of the threads here but I wonder if there would be different responses and I just want to be over and done with this.]

Thanks!

1) No 2) No

The only things that can really be a problem are someone with physical access to your phone putting something malicious on it, or attacking by doing a man in the middle on your wifi connection. The former you won't likely run into unless you're in a tv drama or a nation state is after you, the latter isn't super likely but you can run a VPN to encrypt your traffic if you get on public wifi. You can also skip public wifi. Cops can also use stingers to pretend to be a cell phone tower so they can sniff wireless data and track people.

I guess the other avenue of attack is just browser hijacks but they don't really affect the phone, it's more of those popups that say you won something or that you need to call google/microsoft as a tech support scam. Adblockers on the broswer take care of most of those.

Anyway, of those aren't going to be solved by antivirus software on your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I'm kind of at my wits' end trying to figure out an issue with some SMS messages and I'd appreciate any help.

I've gone from a Galaxy S10+ to an S22 to now an S24+. I've discovered that some inbound SMS/MMS did not get transferred to my S24+ by Smart Switch or SMS Backup and Restore. After further digging, I know this much: it's every inbound SMS from my time on the S10+ (which has unfortunately been traded in already), it's only the inbound because I can see my replies, Google Messages does not see them on the S22, SMS Backup and Restore and SMS Import / Export likewise do not capture them (searching the XML/JSON files for a known phrase returns no results), but if I switch back to Textra on the S22, which I used until only a few months ago, I do see them in there. I've installed Textra on the S24+, but it doesn't pull them up, so it's not that they've been transferred but are still invisible to Messages.

I don't understand why Textra can see them on the S22 but the other apps can't. I tried clearing cache and data for Messages, but that didn't work. I have to think that if Textra can see them, they must be accessible somehow and there's a way to transfer them, but I don't have any other ideas.

I'd shrug and move on, text messages aren't meant to be permanent, except that some of those messages have major sentimental value to me and I'd like to be able to pull them up without digging out my old phone. Any ideas are appreciated!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

DeusIgnis posted:

All my good friends and SO use a Pixel

what alternate dimension do you live in and how do i teleport there?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ShoogaSlim posted:

what alternate dimension do you live in and how do i teleport there?

Just hop aboard the rescue spaceship Lewis and Clark, when it heads to Neptune on a mission.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Heh, in my close friend group it's:

1x Pixel 6
2x Pixel 7 Pro
1x Pixel 7
1x OnePlus 10
1x Pixel 8 Pro
1x iPhone 15 Pro MAX

My parents are on Pixel 6a and Pixel 4a5g.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 14, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

how many of them are your hand me downs?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

pretty sure the answer to this is "yes"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Actually, at the moment, none.

The one that has the 10t used to have my OnePlus 8 Pro, but he took advantage of a damaged trade in deal last year after he cracked the screen on the OP8P.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Me: P8P
Spouse: P7P
Youngest: P6P
Middle: iPhone 13
Oldest: iPhone 14 Pro Max
FIL: Galaxy S20
MIL: P3XL (yes, I've been trying to get her to a newer phone)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

my senior citizen mom has a pixel 8 and loving loves it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah I've been bullying my friends into getting Pixels for years. (I mean, when it comes up naturally in conversation). Most of the people I know with iPhones are just from work.

One of my best mates was a senior Google manager for a decade too so that helped.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dad: Xiaomi Mi11 Lite
Mom: Xiaomi Mi11 Lite
My other half: Samsung Galaxy S7 (I'm loving trying to change it but she refuses until it explodes or something, it even has the gboard burnt in the screen)
Me: Oppo Find X2 Neo and TLC 20 5G

My older Nephew has my old Nokia 7 Plus

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
A lot of my sometimes inflated but always precarious self worth is tied up with being a young professional. That might tell you I'm not all that smart and I would agree. But there it is. And combined with my love of miniature (!?!?) phones I am left with basically only the smallest of the S series and two of the iPhone models.

Which is too bad because Pixels go for anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 less depending on if we're talking latest flagship or the latest a version. They just don't feel like serious phones. And I can't even explain why. It's not like I even know what Knox does to protect me or my sensitive data. And presumably Google pushes security updates faster than Samsung and possibly Apple.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

A lot of my sometimes inflated but always precarious self worth is tied up with being a young professional. That might tell you I'm not all that smart and I would agree. But there it is. And combined with my love of miniature (!?!?) phones I am left with basically only the smallest of the S series and two of the iPhone models.

Which is too bad because Pixels go for anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 less depending on if we're talking latest flagship or the latest a version. They just don't feel like serious phones. And I can't even explain why. It's not like I even know what Knox does to protect me or my sensitive data. And presumably Google pushes security updates faster than Samsung and possibly Apple.

If you're talking about the latest in each line, a pixel 8, iPhone 15, and galaxy s24 are basically identical in size. If you're talking about sticking with iPhone minis and whatever Galaxy s from years ago is smaller, then rip to your options for new phones :frogbon:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

sourdough posted:

If you're talking about the latest in each line, a pixel 8, iPhone 15, and galaxy s24 are basically identical in size. If you're talking about sticking with iPhone minis and whatever Galaxy s from years ago is smaller, then rip to your options for new phones :frogbon:

No that's exactly what I meant. Standard S from the previous however many years: 6.1"-6.2". iPhone and iPhone Pro from last few years: 6.1".

And then you have the Pixel a and regular version Pixel ranging from 6.1"-6.3" but like I said it just doesn't feel serious. Even though I'm sure there are plenty of judges and generals using them. (And others less neurotic than me probably use mid-range Oppo phones.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WTF does "feeling serious" even mean?

I think you have some hangups you need to work through.

I've seen way too many Samsung users switch to some derivative of Comic Sans and there ain't nothing serious about that.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

bull3964 posted:

WTF does "feeling serious" even mean?

I mean it in the most intuitive way. Does carrying around legal briefs in a Jansport backpack feel serious? Does breaking news to a patient while wearing either a bright orange Swatch or a diamond encrusted Movado? A Miata or a Humvee feel like a serious car?

You can say to the above any of 'Yes', 'Who cares?', or 'Phones are nothing like these examples'. That's why I say it's my subjective feeling and I don't think anyone else should have it because I don't even want to feel this way.

bull3964 posted:

I think you have some hangups you need to work through.

I know right?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 14, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes but do you have that bone with Silian rail? Otherwise you're just a scrub.

It's good you recognize that you're in this situation. It'd be good to sort out before you have an absolute meltdown later on in life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Surprising no one, I decided to convert the old, at this point basically ewaste, Droid Z I had lying around to $100 off the OnePlus 12. I got it on Sunday.

I don't know. Everyone is talking about how this is OnePlus's return to form and to me it just feels like they aren't investing where they need to be (software).

With the Open, it at least felt like they weren't fully sleeping at the wheel due to the very nice multitasking stuff they setup.

Without that novelty, the software annoyances start to pile up.

There's DPI issues across the whole device along with bad padding and weird text overflows. The Google Feed to the left of the homescreen has a comically large font and nothing you can do will alter it. It overflows the Weather and AQI at the top of the feed so it's partially cutoff (the Open does this as well.)

Notification icons are top justified and scaled just a tiny bit smaller than the time in the status bar which makes everything feel unaligned and busted.

Let's not even get into how the default screen size seems to be for someone that must be legally blind without glasses. Default to Default, my Pixel 8 Pro can show 3 more thread topics on the bookmark page in the awful app vs the slightly larger OP12. Web pages, there's no contest. Bumping it down to the smallest setting for display size and setting the dpi in developer settings to match the pixel fixes a lot of the density concerns. Nothing fixes the weird alignment stuff which is present and consistent no matter what settings or DPI you set.

The Google at a Glance widget is also kinda wonky (the same on the Open as well). The shape that holds the weather is this sort of filled in D shape rather than the serrated circle you see on every other device when you add that widget.

The notification behavior is still kinda broken in that if you have multiple gmail notifications, you can just touch the collapsed form and go directly to gmail, it will only expand the notifications and you can only jump directly into a specific message.

Phone always vibrates when you lock it even if you have lock screen sounds turned off and the switch is set to silent. What part of silent do you not understand? Similarly, there isn't even an option to turn of charging sound and vibration and the SuperVOOC charge sound doesn't obey DND rules. So, unless you change that slider into silent before you go to bed (which would prevent you from getting any phone calls) you could be woken up with a annoying charging sound if charging gets interrupted for some reason.

The default Photo gallery that is the shortcut from the camera app has a very annoying sound when you delete a photo and there's no way to turn it off.

The battery 80% limit doesn't appear to work (at least on wireless charging). Oh, I get the toast that battery is limited to 80% as it just powers through and charges the phone to 100%.

On top of everything else, I was shipped a currently top of the line device from OnePlus in February that's still stuck on NOVEMBER 2023 PATCH LEVEL. For fucks sake. Do.Better.

I don't think the phone is bad though. I just don't get the level of praise that was heaped on it over the OP11 or OP10T from last year. It's a OP11 with slightly better cameras and wireless charging refreshed with the latest processor. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think it's the perfect phone for someone that wants a gaming device but doesn't want to spend over a grand and wants decent cameras. It's pretty much perfect for that niche.

From a general consumer perspective, I think the OP12R is a far more interesting phone as it's a barely cut down OP11 for (currently) $399 with any phone trade in. That's a lot of device for $399 and a lot of the software quirks can be overlooked at that price/hardware point.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 14, 2024

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

I mean it in the most intuitive way. Does carrying around legal briefs in a Jansport backpack feel serious? Does breaking news to a patient while wearing either a bright orange Swatch or a diamond encrusted Movado? A Miata or a Humvee feel like a serious car?

You can say to the above any of 'Yes', 'Who cares?', or 'Phones are nothing like these examples'. That's why I say it's my subjective feeling and I don't think anyone else should have it because I don't even want to feel this way.

I know right?

The imaginary, shallow people you're trying to impress (you're projecting) are going to care more about the suit you're wearing and the car you're driving, since I'm assuming all "young professionals" can afford whatever phone they want, and they all look basically the same unless you go out of your way to choose a garish color or case. And 90% of people use cases anyway.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 14, 2024

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Bright Bart posted:

I know right?

lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bright Bart posted:

I know right?

seriousness isn't a style it's a behavior

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I agree with that guy. Surround yourself with things you like, and find pleasant, and that make you feel happy. If anybody tries to armchair diagnose that as a mental disorder, gently caress 'em, they're wrong.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Quixzlizx posted:

The imaginary, shallow people you're trying to impress (you're projecting) are going to care more about the suit you're wearing and the car you're driving, since I'm assuming all "young professionals" can afford whatever phone they want, and they all look basically the same unless you go out of your way to choose a garish color or case. And 90% of people use cases anyway.

Oh I know. But it's not exactly projecting because even I don't judge people by their phones. And it's not about looking all big time and important. It's about not looking the opposite. I know deep down that a Pixel is just fine. But I hold one and it feels like a very, very well made toy. To me. One more time I know that's ridiculous.

Want to know the really crazy thing? Yes, I have nice clothes. But I don't iron my shirts. Or polish my shoes beyond wiping them with a damp cleaning cloth.

As for covers I do have one anecdote about that. I was filming a video and for the scene where I'm showing an app on my screen to the camera the director told me to take the cover, which was a basic off-white Samsung cover that I thought looked professional/clinical enough, off to make it clear it was an "adult" (not my words) phone.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 14, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

spincube posted:

I agree with that guy. Surround yourself with things you like, and find pleasant, and that make you feel happy. If anybody tries to armchair diagnose that as a mental disorder, gently caress 'em, they're wrong.

But that's not what they are doing. They are allowing the imaginary perception of other people tell them what they should find appropriate DESPITE potentially wanting to use something.

I think Apple watches with silicon bands long ago shattered the accessory taboo of what's appropriate in various settings.

I recognize that there is a certain level of dress code that may extend to things like bags and jewelry in certain professional settings, but a phone is a tool and all black slabs look more or less the same when you get down to it.

Also, unless it's your JOB to try to impress others in order to do things like win contracts or sway opinion, literally no one at all gives a poo poo about this sort of thing beyond the bare minimums required for your environment.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

As for covers I do have one anecdote about that. I was filming a video and for the scene where I'm showing an app on my screen to the camera the director told me to take the cover, which was a basic off-white Samsung cover that I thought looked professional/clinical enough, off to make it clear it was an "adult" (not my words) phone.

what

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I wouldn't make something this stupid up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bright Bart posted:

Imo this seems more like the director having a certain vision for the shot (not meaning that for better or worse, just that the director directs, "their" set etc) and may not have accepted any case on the phone at all. It doesn't seem like they were outright judging you though, at least.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I rewatched Glass Onion the other night and I'm not sure I clocked it the first time through, but pretty much everyone was using an Android device.

I'm pretty sure that one was even a OnePlus 7 Pro because the flash of homescreen I saw looked very OnePlus launcher and there was no camera cutout and no bezels (but curved screen.)

Apparently part of that is Apple doesn't let 'bad guys' use iPhones on camera.

Just like everyone in Hawkeye was using Pixels.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 14, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Android thread seems kinda busy, wonder what news happened...

AlexDeGruven posted:

*Checks thread*

JFC.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you ever need a reminder of how effectively advertising can destroy people's minds, just read this last page of posts. My word.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I am constantly amazed what insane takes goons will share completely unprompted

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Branch Nvidian posted:

Android thread seems kinda busy, wonder what news happened...

It feels like a very serious thread title

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I rewatched Glass Onion the other night

I'm so sorry

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So did Google just remove the ability to press the microphone button to get to Google Assistant as a way to get everyone to download Gemini? I'm very confused as to why they'd think I'd want to search when pressing that button.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

So did Google just remove the ability to press the microphone button to get to Google Assistant as a way to get everyone to download Gemini? I'm very confused as to why they'd think I'd want to search when pressing that button.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's a good app for measuring with the camera? An equivalent to Measure for iOS?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

also i'll keep saying it as long as it keeps coming up, marketing is a big reason iphone users think android phones aren't "serious" or like they're cheap iphone knockoffs, but a lot of it comes down to actual native experiences with communication between devices.

my friend with an iphone just texted me a video and it came through looking like the shittiest, pixelated, garbled audio dogshit. i reminded her to send it on instagram and then it wasn't a problem at all, but a lot of people see that interaction as an android fault instead of an apple fault.

i started hanging out with a girl i met on hinge and she teased me about my green texts and that she couldn't "react" to my texts with laugh emojis or whatever (yes yes i know the typical goon response is incoming: "anyone who cares isn't worth your time" etc. it wasn't THAT serious, but it still comes up at all vs not). but then i showed her how my phone's color scheme matches the wallpaper i selected and how i can have my main home screen be mostly empty with just a few essential apps where i want them and she was impressed/jealous of that.

i have another friend who's dating someone with an android and she "complained" about the same thing: not being able to react to texts and other native imessage features. most people are too dumb/lazy/afraid of installing other apps or using anything other than the default native stuff. the incompatibility contributes heavily to the "cheap"/"unserious" perception

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
You can definitely react to an SMS in iMessage and have been able to for a while, dunno what they're on about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i can receive a react to messages from an iphone so its a moot point (although years of learned behavior may still need to be unlearned?) but i send them a "ShoogaSlim reacted 🤣 to your text" if i emoji react to their message

anyway the sending media stuff is the way worse offender that feels loving crazy that there isn't a native solution for by now. really hoping apple adopting rcs improves stuff