Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

docbeard posted:

And it's a subscription?

Pushbullet's nice, but it ain't that nice.

That sort of program almost has to be a subscription. There's stuff running in the background which requires servers and bandwidth. I'm not paying that just to be able to control my notifications. I actually don't use it much but when I do it's been really nice. But I'll probably end up paying anyway because it is a good program and I'm about supporting good developers.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

What's the best way now a days to figure out what's keeping your phone awake? My wife and I both have Samsung Note 4's and the last few days she said that her battery has been significantly more drained by the middle of the day. I asked her to send me a shot of her battery meter and am curious if there's a go to method to find out.

Not rooted.

Hers:

Mine:

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I don't know that there's a method beyond uninstalling things that might be causing a problem but let's be real, it can't be too hard to track that one down.

She installs a lot of apps. But she claims that she hasn't installed anything new in some time.

LastInLine posted:

Also the comic sans system font, classic Samsung.

I've just stopped questioning some of her decisions. Whatever.

Yeah I had her reboot. I told her facebook sucks but she doesn't believe me. So I'm going to poke around the phone tonight to see if anything stands out and maybe what app used most battery today. I was just hoping there might be an app out now that can tell you.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

What's the best way now a days to figure out what's keeping your phone awake? My wife and I both have Samsung Note 4's and the last few days she said that her battery has been significantly more drained by the middle of the day. I asked her to send me a shot of her battery meter and am curious if there's a go to method to find out.

Not rooted.

Hers:

Mine:

LastInLine posted:

It's a pickle for sure. It looks like either it's a permissions issue (something needs access to something that's being denied and it's just hammering it) or maybe a broken sync somewhere. It could also be something that starts in the background so it might be difficult to just track after a reboot.

If there are too many apps to track that she has which you don't, then the next best choice is to look at the recently updated list in the Play Store to see what's updated in the last week or so, maybe something there broke it?

At the very least just waiting for the constant wake to appear then looking at the Recents list in the app switcher might point to the offending app (which would hopefully be the last thing she activated). If I had to point at stuff I'd look for third party apps that access services (like maybe a Twitter client run amok) or something that would obviously have a need to sync regularly. Lastly something that would need to access a service in the background, like a GPS app. I mean, if it's keeping the device awake when you're moving in and out of other apps it would need to be doing something that isn't ephemeral (like, say, accessing the camera). It would have to be trying to access a data connection or some sensor.

Thought I'd come back and give an update on this. Wife gave up on removing all her apps and seeing what happened when the issue persisted and just asked me to factory reset her phone. No problem, told her to make sure her pictures were backed up to dropbox and did the deed. Next day noticed an immediate difference from the previous days with regard to her battery life and the phone actually being more responsive. Her group messages would lag behind severely. This prompted her to installing all the apps that she could remember and we were right back to before the reset. Told that it was obviously something she's installing.

She gets frustrated and decides to go through all her apps. Turns out, the default amazon apps app that comes preinstalled isn't the app they want you to use anymore and it tries to install amazon underground. For whatever reason, the app wasn't completing it's installation so the amazon app was simply attempting to to install it over and over into infinity. Causing the massive slow downs that she would have and big battery drain. Anyway, it's been disabled and we've moved on. All is well in my house again. Oh and I've also forbid her to swap her font to comic sans. She's a grownup for fucks sake.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 8, 2016

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

LastInLine posted:

:stare:

Also the comic sans system font, classic Samsung.

bronin posted:

I was gonna say, first step is changing the system font.

It's a joke chill out. Don't care and I'm sure she has happily set it back. I'm glad that in the android apps thread even
when I initially brought up the issue, the font is all that has mattered to you guys.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 8, 2016

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

DeaconBlues posted:

Are there any SwiftKey users here?

My first thought, as an open source enthusiast, is "oh, no!".

I'm not sure that you can call SwiftKey open source so I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

vyst posted:

I just use the mobile version of their website in chrome.

This is what I've been doing for the last month and I haven't missed the app at all. What's especially nice is that I can actually use the messaging part of the site rather than being told to download/install another of their apps to respond to the random 3 people I know that use fb messenger.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

I wonder if it will be replacing the google chat in gmail. I use that to talk to my wife all day without having to get my phone out of the desk.

Google has no idea what the gently caress they want.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Honestly, kindle app and google reader (play books) have both worked well for me. <never mind, app i mentioned is iOS only>. I've been happy with the two I mentioned earlier though.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

I thought you must pay like a subscription to use it? Sorry, forgot to mention that I would prefer if it was free or cheap.

Not being snarky but if all you want is a register and some balance tracking google sheets?

Depending on your ability you can even create/track categories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

I've been using PocketCasts for a really long time on my phone and sort of scoffed at the idea of using the web portal.

Why why did I do that!? It's pretty great. And the sync works really well between phone and site. I'm sold.

Even before that when I was just using the phone app it was really great. Add me that to the group of people recommending PocketCasts