Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Duggler posted:

Having a weird issue with YouTube, if I press full screen it's just an image of the thumbnail

Anybody else seeing this?

This has been happening off and on for me too. Usually going out and back into fullscreen works. Seems like google broke something in a recent update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Duggler posted:

Google hosed with the YouTube app for no reason? And it's much worse with no added benefit??

No way man get outta here

I know it sounds crazy, but I think it's true

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Syrinxx posted:

I see Mighty Text has gone the route of Pushbullet by trying to become a lovely monthly subscription service and severely limiting the number of texts you can send as a free user. Are there any alternatives out there?

You can use Join, but the apps aren't nearly as polished as PushBullet or Mightytext. It works but...they're quite ugly. Especially the Windows 10 app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Are there any "find my friends" type of apps that work on both Android and iPhone? Something that can show GPS location.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Never understood why Google didn't just make some sort of API and force OEM's to bake it into their stock messaging apps.

I guess it's probably because they wanted full control of the environment for ultimate data-mining/selling of poo poo to you.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Textra is really good.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

The Duggler posted:

When using Android Pay, do I need to open anything before using it or is my phone just always ready to be tapped on stuff?

I'm not crazy about it, but I'd like to give it a try

I would like to know this too. I've been using it on the vending machine at work, and the behavior seems inconsistent. Sometimes my phone screen can be off and it works fine, other times the screen is on yet it still wants me to input my pin and tap it another time afterwards.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Desk Lamp posted:

Apps can already use their own set of emoji. Whatsapp on Android uses the iOS emoji for example.

LastInLine posted:

I don't doubt you're right, but why then the announcement of support for it? Doesn't Whatsapp do it in some weird way?

Textra does this also.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

Somewhere I got the idea that PocketCasts re-hosted podcasts...but I don't really know if thats true.

fishmech posted:

PocketCasts may rehost some podcasts, but they don't rehost all of them.

According to the devs, they don't re-host any podcasts.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

datajosh posted:

Has anyone had any issues with e-mail notifications lately? I'm using Inbox and my wife is using Gmail and 95% of the time we won't get notifications on new e-mails coming in. Sync is on, notifications are on, I even set the apps up as "not optimized" in the battery optimization settings.

Uthor posted:

I routinely don't get email notifications in the morning. I'll wake up and not get any, then get an email later in the day and see emails from hours ago in the notification that I didn't know were there. It happens sometime during the day, but less often.

I get this also. Kinda sucks.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Kheldarn posted:

The Play listing says it contains ads. How much is the IAP to remove them?

Few bucks? Less than the cost of lunch? Whatever it is, definitely worth it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

maltesh posted:

Yeah, podcasts have to be officially submitted and approved for Google Play Podcasts, and without any sort of user rating or review process, most podcasters don't seem to promote it. Is the only thing Podcasters are getting out of it increased visibility, because they show up in GPM searches?

I think GPM also rehosts the podcast files, which many podcasters don't like for various reasons.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Anyone wanna recommend an RSS reader? The Feedly app runs like a dog on my tablet for some reason, and Greader is *almost* perfect except there doesen't seem to be a way to turn auto-playing youtube videos off so every page that has a youtube video on it starts playing automatically over and over again until you scroll past it. Looks like the dev on Greader abandoned it also so there's no chance on that getting fixed :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

I've been using gReader for years and think it's great.

The YouTube bug is really the only thing that bothers me about it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

GoodBee posted:

Are there any good white noise/ambiance apps with Chromecast support?

I've used Lightning Bug off and on since at least 2011.

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but there's plenty of 10 hour "white noise" videos on YouTube that you'd be able to cast.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I wish Google had a live wallpaper that mimicked sunrise/sunset, so the sun would come up in the wallpaper when it does in your location, and gradually get higher, then lower, then sunset, and then maybe a moon? They sort of have this wallpaper already except it uses your battery % instead of the weather.

The old Beautiful Widgets Live Weather wallpaper was awesome. They just stopped updating it years ago though. A shame.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

Even before I paid for Google Play Music I'd never seen an ad on YouTube. It's 2017, time to adblock, guys.

Yeah but rooting your phone to allow ad block on it is for losers

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

underage at the vape shop posted:

Whats better between spotify and google play music?

Honestly, GPM is nice because it's "google" and has Youtube Red included, but that's really the only leg up it has on Spotify right now. Spotify has a much better UI and is just more pleasant to use, I found.

I stick with GPM though because of the Youtube Red.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

spincube posted:

Random thought: do cards saved for use in Android Pay require re-adding/re-authorising/basically any fiddling whatever when moving to new hardware?

Yes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I just use Palabre synced to a bunch of RSS. Works well.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
For sms sync between phone/tablet/computer, I haven't found anything better than Pulse. Join is janky as gently caress.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Sereri posted:

No, Motorola, just no

Eh, looks fine.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wrist Watch posted:

Chrome updated on my phone (MXP, so I'm still back on 6.0) and now there's a bunch of "suggested content" taking up half the screen when I open a new tab that basically mirrors the same stories I get through Google news or in google now. Is there any way to disable it? It's really obnoxious. I don't need three different ways to see the same stuff.

Also, and far worse, chrome no longer autocompletes urls when I type in the first letter or two of frequently visited sites, so now I have to manually pick the top suggestion after typing the first letter to go there instead. Is that a new "feature" as well?

Can't help you with the Chrome stuff, but the MXP finally got 7.0 (lol) a month or two ago so maybe you should check in on that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

cage-free egghead posted:

Nova Launcher pro is a dollar. I didn't know launchers were still so popular but the Reddit thread regarding it is pretty hilarious with people saying how good it is and others asking what it is.

Nova launcher is actually awesome, don't fall into the goon "I didn't know people still used x :smug: " trap my friend

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

cage-free egghead posted:

I don't know, the days for janitoring just about anything on my Android phones are long gone. The stock Google/Moto launcher works great and I haven't seen the need for a different launcher for years.

I mean you kinda just set it up the way you like it in 15 minutes or so and than that's it. Wouldn't really call it janitoring. Not like you're clearing out cache files and poo poo lol

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Kinda wish the search box would open your results in full chrome rather than the weird chrome tabs thing, but whatever.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
As a Google music subscriber I'm really interested to see what the supposed hybrid YouTube music/Gmusic app is going to be like when it launches this spring.

I love the ability to upload my own tracks to Google music and have it integrate seemlessly into my library, but my fiance just got Spotify and god drat does it feel miles ahead of Google Music in terms of features and quality of life.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I've been using lastpass on my phone to autofill passwords into Chrome for years now. It's a loving godsend.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

vyst posted:

Who is winning the carrier wars between Sprint and T-Mobile? I assume it's

1. Verizon
2. AT&T

Tmobile, by far. Over the past ~5 years they've basically transformed from joke to legitimate contender vs. Verizon and ATT.

They're starting to raise prices to reflect this, though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I use Palabre to read articles, which hooks into feedly.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
NPR bought Pocketcasts:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/public-radio-organizations-buy-pocket-casts-1525366680

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Party Boat posted:

Is pocketcasts still the podcast app of choice? I've used beyondpod for like ten years and until recently it's always worked well enough but it's started being really inconsistent about downloading metadata. As far as I can tell development on it is virtually abandoned so I'm open to a switch.

Does pocketcasts let you set up rules to auto populate a playlist? I currently have one that puts new episodes from feeds tagged "news" at the top, then goes through everything else in release order and puts the oldest five episodes from feeds tagged "backlog" at the end. Hoping this is a basic feature these days. Also did I hear something about pocketcasts being bought out?

NPR bought Pocketcasts. PocketCasts is a great app, but I'm not really sure it'll have the hardcore filtering and playlist features you're looking for - it's not really that type of app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Taffer posted:

Since pocketcasts was bought out and will probably die the field just got a little more narrow, so if anyone was looking for an alternative, check it out.

Yeah, this isn't gonna happen.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

zer0spunk posted:

I wish they'd notify you of this stuff...just give me a heads up that things are expiring instead of vanishing them out of playlists and hoping I'll notice 3 songs out of 400 are missing and buy them. The caveat of streaming I suppose..just don't hide it from me.

I believe Spotify greys the songs out, which is definitely a better way of handling it because at least you can see what's not available.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Uthor posted:

Anyone using Cricket, maybe only on Pie with a Pixel? My visual voicemail app isn't pulling up new messages, just flashing "no connectivity" at the bottom at a rapid rate. Dunno if it's because of Pie or the service itself being screwy.

The Visual Voicemail app for Cricket has been messed up for quite some time. I've had what you're describing for about two or three months now. I gave up awhile back and just use voicemail the old fashioned way :(

People have been complaining about it on Howard Forums for awhile now.

It was messed up when my pixel 2 XL was on 8.1, still messed up on 9.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have a bedside alarm clock that not only has a built-in li-ion battery for power outages, it also automatically adjusts for daylight savings :smug:

*Phone Kernel Panics, hard locks itself*

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Uthor posted:

Something changed in Auto and now I get bloops all the time using navigation even though I have it set to only give me traffic alerts. Yes, I know I am home. No, I do not want you to pause my music for three seconds so I can get a beep alerting me of that fact.

It also interrupts when crossing state lines, which I don't recall it doing before.

I got these too, but I kind of like them.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

Pushbullet has gotten more and more flaky for me over the last year or so and their support seems to be nonexistent. What's the next best thing for SMS mirroring to a computer? I use Textra so the web Messages is out. I tried Join two or three years ago and it was a bit of a faff to keep everything signed in properly. I used to use MightyText; can't remember why I stopped anymore.

You probably stopped using MightyText because they changed their payment model and it stopped being worth it for a lot of people.

I've been using the Phone features built into the Windows 10 October 1809 update. I grabbed the update before Microsoft pulled it to fix (lol) but it works well. Only thing is it doesent show MMS.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Taffer posted:

What kinds of playlists are people making that makes the 1000 limit annoying. Assuming normal song lengths that's nearly 3 days of non-stop play.

Maybe I just don't get it because I never saw a reason to make playlists. The closest I come is listen queues and that's just a few songs :shrug:

The playlist I use for driving has almost 1000 songs in it. When I hear a song I like, I add it to the playlist. I've been adding to it for over 6 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Uthor posted:

I'm not getting turn by turn directions in the instrument cluster from Android Auto in my mom's new CR-V. Used to work fine. Now it just says "waiting for directions from phone".

On the plus side, the audio player will jump to the current playing track when I tap to view the playlist. In my car, it starts at the beginning of the playlist, which is too long to scroll to the song that is actually playing.

And Bluetooth has stopped working properly in my car, which I think is a problem with the phone. My car lists my phone in its memory, but my phone doesn't list my car.

Android Auto always seems to be broken in new and exciting ways.

Lots of people complaining about this on the Android Auto subreddit, and it's not just Honda cars either.

Basically AA being AA.