Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ignoranus posted:

Is there a good app for food journaling/diet tracking?

I use lifesum which also has an Android wear part as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

One useful thing that I'd like to see ported out of Allo is the suggested follow up commands for a Google search.

I think pretty much everything you can do in Google assistant can already be done via Google now searches right?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm sorry if this has been answered, I've skimmed the last bit and can't figure this out. If I use Allo to send a message to a contact with a phone number, without them already having Allo, what actually happens? What would they see/receive?

I'm struggling to understand the point of this, over Messenger + Hangouts.

They would recieve a text from a number they wouldn't recognize as google relays your text through their own texting network.

also if you send another text a day later there's a decent chance it will come from a completely different number that time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Anyone mentioning data caps as a way to hang on to SMS is just wrong, messaging uses so little data as to be completely negligible. The only time I could see SMS being preferable in any way to a real messaging service is in the case of spotty data coverage (but even then maybe you should consider getting yourself a carrier that works for your use case).

I'm sure there are plenty of people who use SMS every day but it's horrible trash and I'm well aware that lots of people love trash. Personally I'm glad to be mostly rid of it for all of the reasons FunOne just outlined.

Why is it trash? It works across platforms, regardless of what phone or network you are on.

I bet you love Apple's lightning cables over USB type C too.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Open standards are good, walled gardens like what's app not so much.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

The catch is that their fees are high compared to going to a traditional broker and buying some index funds, but that's about it, really.

Robinhood has no fees. They just use the money you have sitting in your account uninvested to make their own investments like a bank does with your savings or checking.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Because then the location is so vague as to be useless.

If you're manually forcing it to log the location there's no reason it can't turn on high accuracy location to get it down to a few feet.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Who wants to take bets on how much longer Hangouts will be supported?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...eplaced-by-duo/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Looks like a major update is coming to Google voice in the near future.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/09/google-voice-updates-are-imminent/

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

flatluigi posted:

I think I am going to give up on Duolingo ever adding Japanese, so do any of you have a recommended alternative app for it?

I made a post about this on the learning Japanese thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438030&pagenumber=162&perpage=40#post467790719

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I still need my VOIP calling damnit!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Checked back about 5 pages and didn't see anything.

Any go to apps for a Twitter client replacement? I've tried Friendly, owley, and plume. They all kind of suck in their own ways too.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kassad posted:

I just started using the website in Firefox Beta, now that it's using their faster rendering engine and it's possible to use uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger and HTTPS Everywhere. It works well enough.

Might be possible to do the same thing in Chrome?

Does it block promoted tweets?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kassad posted:

Yeah, uBlock Origin blocks those.

Wonderful, that's like 90% of what I hated about the app.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Is it possible to add podcast URLs to Google podcasts? I have unique URLs from Patreon accounts that I contribute to that I'm unable to add to Google podcasts because I'm not able to see a way to do so.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

So what is everyone planning on using when Google shuts off Hangouts? I'm pretty deep into that with both Google voice and all of my family using Hangouts. so I guess I should think about what are the other alternatives available to me now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Can you sign in using a work profile? That sandboxes the whole work environment, all the apps, notifications, everything.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 19, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If your work doesn't support work profiles maybe this will work? It looks like it can setup a local work profile.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.typeblog.shelter&hl=en

https://www.xda-developers.com/shelter-open-source-sandboxing-app/

I haven't tested this myself so it may not play nice with a work app trying to administer the device.

The way work profile works is it's setup alongside your personal profile. you don't have to reboot the phone or anything. It just prevents your work apps from talking to your personal apps. From your end it would be a more or less seamless experience, except you might have two email apps, one with JUST your work email and another with all your personal emails.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Anyone have any experience using Amazon photos to back up and sync their photos that they take on their phone? It looks like that I have unlimited space for photos on there as a prime member so I'm considering using that in place of Google photos with their limitations coming up.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Anyone have any experience using Amazon photos to back up and sync their photos that they take on their phone? It looks like that I have unlimited space for photos on there as a prime member so I'm considering using that in place of Google photos with their limitations coming up.

I guess I'll follow up on this since I've had a couple of days to experiment. Obviously yesterday was not a great experience what with Amazon servers being down across the US. But once that cleared up it started automatically backing everything up. You can set it up so that it will only back up while on Wi-Fi and charging which I find to be the best experience so that you don't blow through your battery or data cap.

Amazon's identification AI is not as good as Google. It thought that some rocks that I took pictures of were vegetables. but it did correctly identify me as a person and was able to group all the pictures that I was in even if it didn't know who I was. You can set identifications for people it sees so it will later group them correctly together.

It does try to group pictures together by day, location taken, and what it thinks is in them just like Google. Aside from the latter being not as good it seems perfectly acceptable and makes it's pretty easy to find photos later on I think.

If you want to share with other people who have Amazon accounts then it's a relatively straightforward thing and there's even a built-in mini chat app so they can respond to a share in there. Of course you can always share outside of the app as well.

I actually have an easier time pulling the pictures out of the Amazon universe than I do with Google as all you have to do is navigate to your prime drive, or was it Amazon drive, and just select download and it'll start downloading. no need for a separate takeout system like Google has with their data availability.

I don't have a good eye to be able to tell if it is doing any compression on the images, but as far as I can tell it doesn't look like it.

Edit: it also has the ability to set photos as hidden and it squirrels them away separately. I assume this is for your naughty photos if you like taking those.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 26, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

Is there a reliable, safe way to block ads nowadays? I haven't really looked into this since like 2012, and there are about a million near-identical adblock apps in the store.

DNS66

https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I mean, when I want to know the temperature and weather it's usually because I'm heading out the front door right now. I don't wanna have to spend 10 to 15 seconds navigating through a bunch of apps or doing a search on Google to see what it's going to be today. I want it to be one button press away.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's not displayed on my OnePlus 8 pro lock screen.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

redeyes posted:

I use Solid Explorer and mount my NAS with it. This allows me to send files back and forth with my phone itself.

Also something nice to do with a NAS, if you have docker on it or on something on your home network, is to setup Wireguard as a vpn so you can tunnel back to your home network at any time and stay connected to that NAS for easy transfers.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

There’s a bunch of places where my discover card isn’t accepted when I try to use Google pay, but if I use another card in Google pay it works fine, and using my actual discover card in the reader works fine.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Inceltown posted:

I've actually just swapped to KISS Launcher now as the lack of shortcuts was annoying me as I use them a bit. FOSS - something I'm trying to move to more as I de-corporatise my life - so on f-droid + play store and doesn't need an internet connection at all so no one is getting your info. Still mostly a text search rather than scrolling based UI but a nicer middle ground.

It's very snazzy.

I gave this a shot. It's definitely a different ux from standard Android. I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with it or not. If you try it spend some time giving apps tags. It dramatically improves their searchability and you can use tags like a folder by pinned a shortcut to that tag to the favorites or enabling certain tags in the "customize tags" menu under "user experience"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

maltesh posted:

I've got .epubs I like to read.

I drive sometimes.

These goals are generally incompatible.

Is there a good app that does a decent job of reading epubs out? I've tried Moon+ Reader for it, and while the audio's pretty good, it's often a bit of a hassle to control its playback.

Barring that, is there a decent online service or windows software for converting an Epub to an MP3 or other audio file to throw to an Audiobook player?

This video describes how you can use amazon polly to turn an epub into a audio book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNPaK_E2nQc

I've listened to a bunch of audiobooks this guy has made and it's a pretty good and natural sounding experience.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

What do you nerds use for an MFA app? Authy's UI is super annoying and I'm done with it. Aegis is good it looks like? So is MS Authenticator.

Aegis

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Two questions related to messaging apps on Android:

1) Are there any that tie into Facebook Messenger so I can use their system without putting their actual Messenger app on my phone? I have an account to communicate with a few people who still use that as their primary social media, but I haaaaate their app. It would be useful to be able to message those folks on the go. Right now I only do so when at an actual computer.

2) Later in the year I'm going on a family cruise. I'm told that it's unlikely we'll have cell signal for most of the trip, but the ship will have wifi that works okay. What's the best SMS-like app that I can recommend to both the iPhone and Android users in the family so we'll be able to text each other over that wifi network?

Thanks!

DeltaChat is an option too. It's an E2E encrypted chat that uses your email to send the encrypted messages. Not the quickest thing in the world since the backbone is email and IMAP and SMTP, but it has no central server and works with any email that supports IMAP and SMTP (which should be the vast majority). And E2E encryption should work on any email that supports Autocrypt and CounterMITM protocols.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Dabir posted:

Aside from the extra work of setting your subscriptions up again, you mean?

You can just export from YouTube and import them in.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

nitter is objectively better because you can grab rss feeds out of it for the people you want to visit so you never need to visit that miserable site directly ever again.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

hooah posted:

Ok, I will hadn't heard about the RSS feed thing before. I poked around for a little bit at the nitter website and I see they say they have RSS feeds, but I can't figure out how to generate one. How's that work?

Edit: found it. The RSS icon appears when you view an account.

You can also grab rss feeds for specifically the media or tweets & replies feed by first selecting those before you hit the rss feed icon in the top right. I use this to limit to media feed only for the fanartists I follow.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I use Fairmail.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I use audiobookshelf as well and it works great. It has a good mobile client, can be saved as a PWA on desktop and it has cross-device sync, so you can pick up on another device where you left off on a different one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Can I turn in my nerd card and tell you I've never gotten wireguard to work? :ohdear:

Fair enough, if it doesn't have an offline play mode this doesn't help me. Thanks. Basically if it had a functional sync (lol plex + sync + 15 years or whatever and it still doesn't work) I would use it in a heartbeat.

Thanks everyone I'm going to give this smart audiobook player a try today.

Have you considered wg-easy?
https://github.com/wg-easy/wg-easy

It has a nice gui that should simplify the wireguard setup.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Geometric Weather is great. I just wish it had radar. That would make it the perfect weather app.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

hark posted:

drat I was about to download it, but that's a deal breaker for me.

I wouldn't let that stop you. It's still really great for weather alert notifications and forecasts.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I used Chronometer to loose about 10 kilos.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

If you don´t give a poo poo about privacy, Telegram is IMO the nicest and most featureful messaging app out there.

If you care about privacy, SimpleX Chat is probably the best that exists right now.

If you kinda care about privacy but still want to talk to people using phone numbers, go with Signal.

The self-hosting thread has a bunch of people running Jellyfin, too:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3985071

SimpleX is pretty neat and honestly more portable than Signal since it's not tied to your phone #.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

This is a good chart of pretty much all the launchers.

I'm personally trying out the open source Kvaesitso lately and it seems cool. Lots of search integrations so you can search your online drive (google drive or nextcloud) local files, or a bunch of other services if you want. Up to you if you grant the permissions.