Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Can someone recommend a good QR-Reader, that can read codes from pictures that are in the gallery?

I am currently using "Barcode Scanner" because it has a builtin QR-generator. But I recently installed a separate generator, because Barcode Scanner can't create those combined wifi tags.
I am using QR Code Generator now, but if there is a better rec for a generator, I would also be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Does anybody know how to gain more control over the audio of two media apps.

I generally have music running through gpm.
Sometimes when a webpage plays a sound in firefox, the music in gpm is paused or muted to make room for the sound. I want to turn that off, the only workaround I found is fully muting firefox.

I also want to turn that on for my workout timer app, or at least increase the volume. My workout timers (I use "Tabata Timer" and "Mi Fit") are a bit to silent for my taste, I would like to increase their volume relative to gpm or mute gpm while they play messages, like it happens for firefox.

Are there some settings hidden somewhere? Or some apps I can install for that?
I haven an Android One phone, on stock version 8.1.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

FunOne posted:

It's New year's, so that means resolutions. Does anyone recommend a chess app? I'd like to improve my basic game.
When I have a good connection: Lichess (FLOS)
When I am offline : The Magnus Trainer app (Freemium). I also used to use the official Stockfish app (FLOS), but setting difficulty levels is notoriously unreliably with the fish.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Thanks for this question, my wife just asked me about this yesterday and, not having played in years, I didn't have any suggestions. Are any of the above suggestions suitable for beginners? I looked at them and I feel like if you're great, you need something totally different from when you're first learning.
The Magnus Trainer is the best beginner app I know off.
If you both play, you can use the over the board mode in the Lichess app to turn your tablet into a chessboard. And even get computer analysis and mistake tips, which most freemium apps charge money for.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Not sure where to post this:

To escape iphone users move to Madagascar.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

What is the best timer app?
I was still using timely for that, but I recently needed to run several timers at once.
The stock timer can technically do that but the interface is just annoying.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I recently switched to local files, too. I ended up using Musicolet as my Android player. And I used beet for the sorting of the files. And samba and foldersync to get them on my phone.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Samba Player is too good for this world. It works flawlessly, and it's free?

I don't want to play music over samba. I copy files so that I can listen to music without internet connection.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

kirtar posted:

What are good music players for local media at this point? I used to always use google play music, but youtube music is an absolute piece of garbage for this.

I use Musicolet

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

I've moved to LineageOS and try to use FOSS apps as much as possible nowadays (:rms2:) and for weather checking, Geometric Weather (Google store link) beats all the commercial / ad-ridden apps I had before. AccuWeather data so it's pretty good on that front as well.

I just tried this app. It's there a way to get it to function with a manually input location. The GPS is broken on my old tablet.
e: I found it. You have to click the help button that appears for 1 second with error message every few minutes. And I found an input field that is well camouflaged, and I could have sworn that wasn't there before.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 14, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

???

From the main screen, at the top right you have a gear icon for settings and a city icon for location. Click the latter and you have a full-screen location list, you can add manual locations to the list or pick 'Use your current location'.

Maybe it's a different UI on tablets :confused:

e:

It's the icon just below the network signals in the status bar:

Yeah, I found the other screen. But the place to add manual location was off-white on off-white in a small corner of my tablet.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I used to use an encfs app for android, but I stopped some years ago and I think the project died.

found it again:
https://github.com/neurodroid/cryptonite

it actually did truecrypt compatible drive encryption if you are rooted, but I have never tested that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Does anybody know a animal identification helper app that actually work?
Googling only gives me "seek" and that app sucks. It hates focusing my camera and gives me very questionable output even if it does work. And it seems impossible to extract a link to the animal's wikipedia page or something like that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

eSporks posted:

This picture is terrible and not good for much.

iNaturalist is great, and logging species actually helps research.

The iNaturalist/seek app took that picture automatically, because it decided it was great. Which is one of the reasons why I am looking for a different app.
The straight iNaturalist app seems to be for when I already know what I am looking at and want to make a log. Basically the opposite of what I am looking for.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

eSporks posted:

I don't know what seek is, but iNaturalist will give you suggestions, which is really nice because photo recognition is never going to be perfect. You can click through a few of the suggestions, compare pictures, read about habitat and narrow it down that way.
It will also give you a family or genus even if it isn't sure about the exact species.

I use iNaturalist for identifying plants frequently.

iNaturalist also let's you see what other people in your area have reported. So you could also just browse and filter by spider. Then scroll through and look for a match.
This is the app I was using:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.inaturalist.seek

I am going to try the other inaturalist app next time, I think I have finally found the suggestion thing.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

eSporks posted:

Yea, I looked into seek afterwards. I don't know what niche its trying to serve that iNaturalist doesn't. The reviews are pretty bad too, so definitely check out the actual iNaturalist app. The interface takes some getting used to, but functionally it's really good at identifying most things. Even when it can't, it gets you close enough that you can research on your own.

Well, when I started using it I was convinced that the iNaturalist app doesn't offer help with identifying things. Not sure if that is because they added it later, or bad interface discoverability.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Well if the normal file usage apps can't find your problem, it is probably in some directory that you can't see on an unrooted phone.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

After a few years of using Solid Exploer it stopped extending my trial period. Does anybody have a recommendation for a free file manager app?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

butt dickus posted:

i don't know how to check the price now but it was two bucks when i bought it. if you've been using it for years then throw them a few bucks. if you really want to be cheap you can earn that through the surveys pretty quickly

I had expected them to be more expensive. Looking it up it costs 6€ which is several years worth of surveys in my location.

Anyways, I tried Total Commander and it looks good.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Does anybody know a way to have whatsapp (and possibly other apps) use a different notification sound while my phone is connected to my bluetooth headphones?
I have it is vibrate a bit with no sound normally, but don't notice that if I have my headphones in. I want to play a ding or something through the speakers if it is connected. But, no sound if I don't wear headphones.

It is a MiA2 on stock Anroid 10.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Maybe android's built-in smb client will give you a better error message.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Is windows phone link the go-to app to manage notifications on my desktop and share links between devices or is there something else better?

I recently found out that kde connect also works on windows for some reason. It is much better then any other connection apps I have tried.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Gmail doesn't give notifications for incoming mails with certain labels. Is there a different Mail client that's worth trying? Single payment is fine but I'm not looking for a subscription. It should also support outlook as I have an address there as well.

I use k9 mail for my tablet, but for the opposite use case. I manually check my dozen of email accounts at once without getting notifications.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Geometric weather has widgets where tapping the clock goes to alarms, date goes to calendar, weather goes to weather. Looking it up I guess that's yet another recommendation from me that's an app not available on the play store, just on f-droid. Sorry if you're a normal person and that's not your bag.

Huh, I have geometric weather installed from the playstore. Do you know why it is no longer on there?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

hark posted:

does it have the ability to auto sync on a schedule? I've heard of it before (and synctrezor or whatever the other thing is) but I never really dug in to check it out

No. I have mine set to sync while charging and connceted to my home wifi, which is possible.

Before switching to Syncthing I was using Foldersync, which does have the ability to sync on a schedule. I was syncing with an smb server, but it has options for most common file hosting systems.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

How many phones have an IR blaster anymore? I think the last one I had was an LG Volt from like 10 years ago.

Most Xiaomi phones have one. I don't remember ever seeing one on any other brand.

e:
List of phones with IR since 2020. It almost entirely Xiaomi:
https://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2020&chkInfrared=selected

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 11, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I used Adobe scan the last time. Free, but needs an account. It also applies some kind of really ugly post processing by default, but it gives you much more control then drive. At least att.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Signal just shows your contacts that are also on signal on your signal contacts list.
If you are afraid that they start compulsively spamming her on any platform as soon as they notice her there, get her better friends.

More productively, I had people recommending simplex as privacy fanatic chat option, though I haven't gotten around to trying it myself.
Wechat and Telegram are the other popular chat systems, each with their own problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I use kdeconnect, it works surprisingly well on windows. But I don't think it allows you to use computer audio for voice calls even on kde.

I also use droidcamx to use phone video and audio like a webcam.