Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best SMS app out there?

Ideally:
-imports my old texts including groups
-sends media at high res to others with the app
-encryption/fingerprint access would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Does WhatsApp send regular SMS to non WhatsApp users too?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Thanks for the clarity, it sounds like what I'm looking for doesn't quite exist

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Signal lets you send higher resolution media to others with Signal? That would work great.

To be totally clear, what I'm really looking for is the Android version of iMessage so I can send my wife (also on Android) full res videos of our dogs but also text everyone else from the same app.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

edit: wrong thread

smoobles fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 13, 2018

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My stupid loving car, despite being very modern and neat, sends a "play" command to my Android when the BT connects, and there is no way to turn this off from the car settings. Even walking past my car will often cause my phone to start playing a podcast in my pocket.

Is there a good way to do block the autoplay in Android settings, or Tasker even?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the simplest way to share URLs from an android phone to an iPad? Wife and I just found an old iPad Air 2 and are using it as a kitchen ipad now, would be nice to find recipes on our phones and send them to the ipad quickly.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hipster_Doofus posted:

So what's the word these days on Facebook clients? Is there one that's just plain wicked fast? The only features I need are the ability to read Facebook and umm I guess maybe post on Facebook.

If you wanna use Facebook on your phone, I highly recommend an app called Facebook, by Facebook.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Anyone know why WhatsApp messages are sometimes bypassing my Do Not Disturb? Could it be because the sender is starred in my contacts, and if so does anyone know a way to silence them on WhatsApp while still keeping their texts/calls priority?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

On the topic of Textra, how do you set it to a shorter vibration? I get a startlingly long vibration on every incoming text

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I hope this is the right thread to ask:

What do you guys use for 2 factor authentication?

I was using Google Authenticator, but now my only backup device is an iPad, and the app is garbage there (no way to transfer accounts via QR code, like you can between Android devices)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm looking for a multi timer app for cooking.

I want to be able to save a set of timers (i.e. 1 min / 5 min / 10 min) and start them all simultaneously. Any suggestions?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a good podcast app that lets you search by episode title within a single podcast?

There's a decade long podcast I am getting into and it's hard to get to the ancient episodes in Google Podcasts or Castbox.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Google Podcasts works great too.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Google Podcasts also works in-browser which is nice if you're a white collar workin' man who likes his podcasts.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a good way to sync Edge browser passwords with Android app passwords?

I finally ditched Chrome to save battery life on my laptop like so many other people, this is the only thing still annoying me.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

Any consensus on a grocery list app? Preferably with a widget? I'm making do with just syncing google keep, but eh, truncates the list on the widget.

If you use Google Home, Nest, or tend to use Google Assistant via voice, I'd recommend Google's default list. It's website based, so you'd create a home screen shortcut to your shopping list. But it's very seamless, you can say "hey Google add eggs to my shopping list"

Also easy to share a Google list with family members.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

SpiderLink posted:

What's a cool app that costs money? Got expiring credit and don't want to use it for subscriptions. Got like eleven bucks. Thanks!

If you're in the USA the NOAA premium weather app is all I use for forecasts, alerts, etc

Momentum Valley (1 and 2) are my favorite mobile puzzle games.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

For reasons that only make sense to me, I want to customize my phone so certain apps don’t work while I’m at home.

It’s a long story but I’m way too distracted working from home and need to block some apps to force myself to get outta the house

Would Tasker help with something like this? I used Tasker ages ago but haven’t needed it for a while

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah that bothers me too, app notifications should be allowed to be scheduled

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Wow focus mode is great! Thanks everyone

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Google Pixel has Focus Mode, I'd assume Samsung does too

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I wish Focus mode also had a Reverse Focus mode where it blocks work apps & work email in evenings and weekends.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

hark posted:

I keep my work stuff in a work profile for this and then turn the profile off when not at work. stops all notifications.

Wait you can have multiple profiles on an Android?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

holky gently caress

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Holy poo poo, the "At A Glance" widget from Google is huuuuge!

It's a great feature on the pixel that I wanna use on my Zenphone but this is nuts.

Is there an alternative out there?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Resdfru posted:

Wait resizing widgets isn't a default android thing? Signed a one ui user

The app developer chooses the sizes that are available and how the widget "sits" within that space

Some are great but others are "graphic design is my passion"

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there an app that lets you pause apps, the way Pixel does? I assumed it was a stock Android feature but the Zenfone doesn't have it! Sad!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

Don't you have a "Disable" button in the app info page? It should be an AOSP feature.

Otherwise, I suppose you can install Insular to do it. By default it can only freeze/unfreeze the apps in the work profile, but there's an in-app guide to let it manage regular apps too (it involves running a few adb commands though).

Nope, just those first 3 buttons (open, uninstall, force stop)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

my conservative dad says "no"

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a SMS app with filters akin to Gmail? The political campaign texts are becoming too much. I just wanna hide any text that includes "stop to end"

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Man, Google likes you more than me I guess.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a browser for Android with built in ad block

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best list app that works with Google Assistant (i.e. "Add apples to my shopping list", "Add laundry to my to do list")

The absolute psychopaths at Google abandoned their lists platform and integrated with Google Keep

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My curmudgeonly rear end will give Google Keep a try then, TY

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm a former Google Podcasts fan trying to find alternatives...

Podcast Addict isn't downloading new episodes in the background. It's retrieving new episodes in the background, on the interval I set, but just not downloading them.

Turned off battery optimization and all that jazz. Any ideas?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

No, the Automatic Download setting seems pretty binary, it's either on or it's off. Plus I'm always on WiFi.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Google Podcasts was perfect, seems like the alternatives all have tradeoffs :smith:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Can anyone recommend a podcast app, ideally with these 2 features that I love from Google Podcasts (Rest In Piss)

1. Automatic downloading of new episodes in the background

2. Ability to quickly add an episode to "next" in the playlist/queue. Ideally with a single button tap (e.g. Podcast Addict makes you go thru a wee menu)

Don't mind paying for it if it's a good app!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Antennapod slaps, thanks for the recommendation! Now I gotta set up a server so I can sync across my devices here.