Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

What are people using for recipe storage? I'd like to put a tablet in my kitchen and get rid of the shelf of cookbooks. Basically, I'm looking for something where I can (ideally) copy and paste into a virtual recipe card and save. If nothing else, I need an app that will allow me to save my recipes, and isn't a collection of Food Network recipes (or whatever.)

I make pdfs of recipes and store them in a folder in Dropbox. For shopping I use Our Groceries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Siochain posted:

Howdy folks. Any suggestions on a selective ring app - aka something that will let me silence my phone, but have any selected contacts bypass that and ring out? I've got a couple of people whom I'm an emergency backup for, and want to make sure that I don't miss a call from them while I'm sleeping. Most ones that I can find seem to have a lot of reviews stating they don't work, etc. The SA suggestions have always steered me well, so thanks in advance.

Light Flow has a sleep mode, allows you to set up specific notifications for any contact and can exclude contacts from being affected by sleep mode.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

hooah posted:

Warning: might interact strangely with Lollipop+'s built-in priority mode or Motorola's enhancement of it.

Good looking out. I'm still stuck on Kit Kat so Light Flow is pretty stable for me.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Thirding SwiftKey. Flow works well and the prediction is spot on. I like to add a number row to the top and shorten the long-press duration to about 300ms. Also emoji prediction because I text like a tween.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

dakana posted:

Speaking of cars, I'm looking for something that might not exist.

I'd like to be able to see a clock and initiate voice commands on my phone when it's in my car, but I'd also like to minimize the battery usage so I can get more of a charge than I would if the screen was fully on. Basically, something for my ~25 minute commute that'll let me see what time it is, maybe turn on a bit more when I receive notifications, call people / text people with voice commands, but not have the screen fully on the entire time.

Someone recommended AutoMate recently and I really like it.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Are there any decent Light Flow alternatives? I just got an S7 and the app is barely usable now.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

brc64 posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the issue you're having? I gave up on LightFlow on my Note 5 running Lollipop because the only way to make to make it work was to enable the "Samsung workaround", which ended up breaking a lot of other things.

Since Marshmallow, I've been able to disable that workaround and it works right about 70% of the time (the other 30% I still just get a generic flashing blue LED). But it doesn't break anything, and without it I get the flashing blue LED 100% of the time, so I just go with it...

Basically the same. I was using the workaround and getting the dumb blue LED may of the time. Sometimes notification sounds would play partially. I just uninstalled it and set up in-app notifications.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Poweramp.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I've got to admit, I'm a heavy Keep user but I prefer Our Groceries for a grocery list for a lot of reasons.

Seconded. It's the best grocery app I've used since I gave up on Out of Milk.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Wrecking Ball posted:

Nggaaahh. Obviously that is what people intend to do but sometimes auto-fill and mistakes happen. Nevermind, i'll never pose another question and disturb you high-and-mighty geeks again.

Are you that worried about autocorrect mistakes? Can't you just say "oh whoops sorry autocorrect"?

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

wolfbiker posted:

Any recommendations for an app to control Philips Hue bulbs?

Hue Pro is my go-to.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Medullah posted:

Just do what I did, expand the dock to 6 icons and add Google now to it.

I use double-tap to open Google Now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

That widget at the top is only on the home screen, if I add more screens it's not present.

Use the persistent search bar in Nova settings. It'll only show the date, but will persist on all pages instead of just the one.

bunky fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 25, 2017

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

I have no problems with weather warnings and general notifications using Weather Timeline on my S7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

trouser_mouse posted:

Anyone got a viewing what the best note taking app is, looking for one will sync with Drive/Dropbox across multiple platforms? Google Keep is not the nicest layout!

I used SyncNotes for a while and it does precisely what you're asking for.