Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

beerinator posted:

I only use messaging software from companies that are run by men with high sex drives.

nimper posted:

I don't think we care, because we'd all do the same thing with Schmidt's money if we had it.

I like to think that the thread title applies here, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Lowen SoDium posted:

Larry Page also has a sex dungeon, but it is not sound proof.

Rookie mistake, and you hate to see it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes, very much so. Here is me getting an Allo message from a buddy when I didn't have it installed.

Sorry, but isn't this stuff only on Android M and up? I could be wrong there.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No one that knows or gives a poo poo what Allo is are running anything pre-M

Lol OK :ironicat:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I don't remember seeing this in the thread, sorry if I missed it.

https://twitter.com/juberti/status/792147047726002176

I've never used iMessage first hand, but I thought the main selling point was that it seamlessly works with regular SMS. What the heck?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

drat, I thought I was the only one with that issue in hangouts. Glad I'm not alone at least.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I'm having an issue with Tasker today.

I've got a little script set up to delete a file, and replace it by copying another version of it in its place.

It seems to work fine, and doesn't complain at all, but it's not copying the file correctly. The one I'm trying to have it copy is 2kb, the one that ends up copied is only 1kb according to the file manager. It seems so straight forward, I don't know what the heck I could be screwing up.

Does anyone with more experience here have any insight?

I'd ask in the Tasker thread, but it seems to have been archived.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

deong posted:

Could it be a file system discrepancy? At only 2k, there isn't much room for the difference between them. Did you try an md5sum to see if they match?

No, I didn't. I'm about to email the files to myself so I can diff them on my computer. No idea what the heck could be happening yet.

edit: Yeah, the file contents are completely different. Makes me think I'm just not copying the file I think I am since the built in file browser in tasker is total crap.

It's really weird, the file I'm trying to copy is just one level up in the directory structure. I'm just copying the path of the file I'm deleting, and removing the last directory. How could it be goofing up? It definitely is, whether it's my fault or not. Just makes no sense.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 4, 2017

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Tunga posted:

You won't say this when they relaunch it with 80% of the features removed.

How could it possibly be worse than it is now?

:shepicide:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

My Google Voice app got updated recently, and now I don't get incoming calls. I'm told it just says some error number when people try to call me.

That's cool.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I switched back to swype, and my typing is noticeably better. GBoard kept not recognizing that I was gesture typing at all, especially if the word started with 'm' for some reason. It would also get whatever word I was trying to type wrong over and over.

I liked google keyboard, but when the switched it to gboard and added the gif keyboard or whatever, it just got to be too much.

Still can't get anything out of Google Voice. I've uninstalled/reinstalled. Completely relinked my phone number in app and through the website. I can't think of anything else to try. I need to steal my wife's phone so I can write down the error it's spitting out. It's pretty long, comes by really quickly, and it only says it twice before hanging up.

Probably gonna have to finally ditch Google Voice which is kind of a good thing. It's only ever been an issue for me. At the best of times it just worked like it should.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I finally got a chance to use another phone to write down the error from Google Voice, and it works now. That's neat. I didn't do anything since yesterday when it still didn't work.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Has anyone else had an issue with Hangouts where replying to a message from the notification doesn't do anything at all?

It has all the visual feedback of actually sending the message, but in the end nothing is actually sent.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Nougat or pre-Nougat notification reply system?

Nougat.

Roid666 posted:

Mine does this, it just spins there and does nothing. Running 7.1.2.

I'm on 7.1.1 I guess. Good to know I'm not alone for once!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Great, now to go back to using Messages for the two SMSs I receive a month. Might as well move my Voice poo poo to the Voice app since that isn't long for this world either.

Yep, I just switched back to the Voice app today too. At least it's currently in a much better place than where we left it.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

My brother showed me his GS8 a couple days ago. He had to get a new phone because the battery in his Nexus 6 took a huge dump. It's got Google Assistant installed, and a dedicated button for Bixby, Samsung's answer to Google Assistant and Siri from what I can tell.

He told me half the time the button doesnt even do anything! Astounding! :monocle:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

What do people use Tasker for these days? The last thing I was using it for was to open Play Music when my phone connected to my car's Bluetooth receiver, but Android Auto takes care of that now.

There used to be a thread, but it's archived now isn't it?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I tried using gboard, but I'm already back to Swype after maybe a day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Swype rules, gboard drools!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

My wife has an iPhone, and I use Google Voice on my Pixel. Texting works fine unless she sends me a video of our kids or something. It used to work fine in Hangouts, but since it switched back to Voice, it doesn't convert it to a YouTube video or anything. It just says file type unsupported. Is there any way around this? We're both on the same Verizon plan, but I think it's more an issue with Google Voice, right?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Totally forgot it was still an option. Thanks!

New question: is there an app that will let me control my PS3 like the Roku app lets me control my Roku?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

:anime:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

What QR code scanner so people use these days? I just tried Google Goggles and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Android Lens hit my Pixel XL, and it is cool and good. I can get rid of the extra barcode scanner app now.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

You could be like me and use a Google Voice number and don't have to use any app to SMS from your PC...I just do it in the hangouts chrome app. :colbert:

(lets ignore all the other issues that arise from using Voice)

For all the stupid poo poo you have to put up with from Voice, this is pretty great.

Unrelated: I haven't had a weather frog in two days and I'm starting to get the shakes...

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I used to get a lot of surveys, then at some point last year or something I started getting all sorts of "which place did you visit recently" surveys where I didn't go to any of the choices*. After a week or so of answering honestly, the surveys dried up. Now I'll get 1-3 a month. That might even be an over estimate.

* There would usually be at least one choice that was like across the street or down the road from where I actually went. I often wonder if I should have just answered with those options to appease the google survey fun bux gods.

tldr: I used to get a lot of surveys like you, until I took an arrow to the knee.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

For anyone wondering about messages for the web, Google's blog post stated that it'd be rolling out to phones "during the coming week" or something. I believe this was Monday.

https://www.blog.google/products/messages/five-new-features-try-messages/ posted:

Today and over the next week, we’ll begin rolling out Messages for web, one of our top-requested features that lets you send and receive texts from your computer.

So yeah, no idea why the web portion is up, but the wording makes it seem like it's another one of Google's slow rollouts. Maybe someone does have it right now, I don't know.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 20, 2018

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

To the people that have messages for web, did you get an app update for Messages or did it just happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I'm on .042, and I do update regularly.

Since this thing has been announced on Monday I've been checking like twice a day though. Had to ditch hangouts/voice for texting with my wife because it was too wonky, and being able to respond from my laptop again would be very nice.