Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Finally something to spend my survey bucks on

I thought you couldn't spend survey dollars on subscription services?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Its not a subscription though, its a gift

Try it

I believe you and have no interest, just found it interesting there's a loophole there. Pretty cool for those of us sitting on $50 with nothing to spend it on.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I need an app to give me notification on new items in an RSS feed. It doesn't need to display content, but it'd be nice to get a clickable url or something.

What would be the absolute bestest is if they've got a server that sends a notification on new feed items so that my device isn't constantly polling an RSS feed.

Searching shows me a bunch of stuff, but it's effort to comb through it all...

I'd imagine it would depend on what you're using to view RSS feeds, but wouldn't any reader do that? I see that gReader Pro does which is what I use but I'd imagine they all can.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nocal posted:

Android has a native solution to this called screen pinning.

To elaborate, you turn it on in Settings > Security and you enable it by going into the task switcher and hitting the pin.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Alarm Clock Plus has been consistently not setting off my alarm unless I actively toggle it off and on the night before, despite the alarm being set to go off every weekday at the same time. It's also pretty ancient and probably hasn't been updated in a couple years. What's the new hotness in alarm clock apps?

I like the math solving feature of ACP, but it's not a deal breaker for updating to a newer app. However, the ability to set labels on alarms and use music instead of preset alarms is a deal breaker.

While I still use Timely because I can't give up my prealarm, I'd really like to try AlarmPad. Its gimmick is Calendar integration and there's beta G+ group.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

What's the good syncing 2FA app that some people here use that isn't Authy, is it Authenticator Plus? For some stupid reason the Authy app is locked to portrait which makes it useless on my Pixel C so I'm going to need to finally get around to switching.

Is there any easy way to import my existing accounts or do I have to do the disable/enable dance on all my services?

Yes, it's Authenticator Plus and you'll do the dance if you're using Authy now. You're really going to like the Wear component.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cor Geal posted:

Looking for a good backup app for my phone (Z3 Compact). I see Titanium Backup recommended a lot but not super keen on rooting unless its the only option. Any alternatives?

The only non-root option is Helium and it's spotty at best. If you really want to back things up that doesn't use Google's system (and not nearly enough games do), you really have to root and use Titanium. It's a really lovely situation unfortunately.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Like the guy upthread I always recommend Explorer or Root Explorer but I'll admit that I probably haven't opened it in more than a year at this point.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Anjow posted:

I just got a Nexus 6P running Marshmallow, and when the phone it just sat there on my desk the screen will occasionally turn itself on without and clear reason - no new notifications or anything. Is there a way I can find out what's causing this? Sorry if it's a bit of a silly question.

That's Active Display, I don't get it either.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Anjow posted:

Yes, I am. Is this that notification that they said would be showing up? I've had a look around and it says that it doesn't happen if one uses the older version but I don't know what difference that would make (right now I'm just using it exactly the same as I did on my 4.4.2 Note 3).

There is a different API in Marshmallow onward that requires a persistent notification. Now there is a Legacy plugin for the app which makes it target the old API which removes the need for the persistent notification at the cost of the app not being able to target the new API so it's feature-frozen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Teeter posted:

Using Facebook mobile site through Chrome instead of the app, is there a way to get videos to play HD? On PC there's a category in the settings for Videos but I don't see anything on mobile.

I'm assuming you're not on T-Mobile?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nexus6 posted:

I'm having a similar issue except with hangouts. With my work Gmail account I get notifications on the desktop and on my phone at about the same time. With my personal Gmail, despite only being logged in on my phone, I get no notifications at all unless I actually open up the app at which point it's pointless.

If you're having an issue with Hangouts notifications not being delivered to the phone, check to make sure you have your time & date being set by the network. A friend at work had a Samsung S5 Active and some update turned off network time and that causes Hangouts notifications to not work, turning it back on solved the problem immediately.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zosologist posted:

Is there any decent alternatives to pushbullet for notification mirroring and texting via pc yet?Is it just mightytext and airdroid? Is pushbullet worth the price? In short: Help.

If you just need notifications and not actionable notifications, Pushbullet is probably still the way to go. Unfortunately for a heavy SMS user you probably aren't going to get away without buying a subscription for it and as a light user for whom the free service suits my needs I'll let someone compare MightyText to it.

Pushbullet is such a great multitool that I find it indispensable but I use it so infrequently that I personally couldn't see paying for it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Astrotrain posted:

Just deleted my pushbullet account, this is insanely good. It's not free, it's a one-time $5 fee. Stores all your data in your google drive though, and supports end-to-end encryption, this owns. Doesn't look like you need to join the beta anymore, it's right on the play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joaomgcd.join .

Thanks for this recommendation. My plan was to "think about it" and then forget entirely to do it when I got home but now I'm just going to do it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hey santa baby posted:

I can't seem to figure out text messages. On Pushbullet, when I got a message, a popup would, uh, pop up in Chrome that would allow me to type a reply. With Join, nothing happens on the computer when I get a text. Is this possible at all in Join, and if not, why did i already pay for it?

On Chrome, does the diagnostic run fine? I had to create a new Chrome profile to get it to work (GCM service could not ping the computer).

Next, did you actually turn on SMS stuff on the phone? It's not enabled by default.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

flatluigi posted:

What's the best solution to mirror my SMS messages across my devices? I just got a Nexus 9 and now my old phone mostly just sits across the room charging while I use my tablet for just about everything I used my phone for except reading SMSes, and I don't appear to be able to use Messaging to read them on my tablet.

Join.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

for those using join, does it mirror incoming calls and provide the ability to reject or answer the call? pushbullet does but it doesn't seem to work for me with join

You know that you have to enable the apps you want mirrored and have set the phone app to do so, correct?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I've had my phone use data when I'm on WiFi. Turns out I may have lost connection at work and I was streaming music most of the day. I'd rather just have data off when at home and at work so that doesn't happen again.

Tasker won't let me do it either so I guess I can't .

Maybe something that alerts my watch or something when I go back to data. That would be helpful too.

Also I sometimes forget to turn data off and on through the notification panel so I'd rather automate it

For obvious security reasons apps can't access these kinds of system level functions without root. What you're trying to do isn't possible.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TwistedNails posted:

I had the same experience as you, I tired Hangouts for a long time. One day Hangouts stopped telling me when I got a new message and I ended up going back to my lovely TouchWiz SMS, then Google Messenger after they released that.

I still have the notification issue with Hangouts, which I still use for gchat conversation. If I could figure out how to get it to work well again that would be great.

In your time and date settings, is network time turned on?

I have a coworker for whom Hangouts stopped notifying on her Samsung S5 Active and the reason was because some update turned off network time. Turned network time back on and the problem was instantly resolved.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Something started recently that makes me want to fastball my phone.

I'll go to hangouts via notification, start typing my reply, and all of a sudden in the middle of typing it flips to the Hangouts splash screen and says "signing in" and drops me back into the conversation list instead of the conversation I was in the middle of typing in.

Anyone else have this start happening recently?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Can't say I've had this on my phone but the desktop app does this to me a LOT.

I use Hangouts a lot, both on the desktop and on mobile, and I've never seen anything like this. And I mean I use it a lot, like every few minutes every minute I'm awake. This is on Mac and Windows, Chrome app and extension, and of course Android.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mogomra posted:

Do people get regular text messages when battery saver mode is on? I don't get hangouts or Google Voice messages when battery saver is on.

It's stuff like that.

What is battery saver mode? If it didn't break things, why have it toggle at all and if it does, why are you surprised?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mogomra posted:

How does LastInLine not know about Battery Saver mode? Where the hell am I?

I didn't know about it because I've never let my phone reach 15%. You don't know where you are because:

deong posted:

What happens when battery saver is turned on
Battery saver limits vibration, location services, and most background data

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Anyone else use DashClock? For the past few days, I've not been able to get the weather to show up on the widget despite uninstall/removing/re-adding the widget. I've disabled/re-enabled the extension as well, I've even tried BetterWeather but it seems to do nothing at all. Rebooted my phone as well.

Any suggestions?

I use DashClock as a home screen widget though I don't use Better Weather anymore. Now I just use Weather Timeline which has a DashClock extension. Before that I used Arcus' DashClock widget.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

I've been using Weather Timeline for about a year and I love it. I don't use its radar feature much but I did just fire it up and it seems radary enough I guess.

Seconding this. My second choice would be Arcus.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jeesis posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for rss feeds?

I just want it to periodically check feeds and send me notifications when one updates. Anything beyond that is useless to me.

Or maybe point me to a service that pushes out emails when a feed updates.

Thank you nerds for doing the needful and please advised.

I think you want gReader.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

flatluigi posted:

Also, what's a good general source for news about good new apps and games? I didn't realize how little people were exaggerating with how bad discovery is on mobile and I have no idea even how to sift through which blogs are reputable, let alone apps

The best Android news blog is Android Police but they generally just cover news with weekly app/game roundups though, I don't know of any blogs focused specifically on just the apps and games. I would imagine such a blog would run out of poo poo to write about fairly quickly though, since most people just settle of a few good apps and don't venture out. By which I mean once you've heard of BeyondPod, PocketCasts, and Podcast Addict, you really don't need to look at other podcast apps and that holds true for most app types where there are a handful of well-known good apps from which to choose.

The best resource I've found is this thread, to be honest.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lt. Frank Drebin posted:

I've been rolling with the LauncherPro/Beautiful Widgets combo since GS2, but they seem to be less and less supported/popular these days. Setting up my 5X tomorrow, and planning to make the jump to newer apps. Is it worth paying for a Launcher, or are the free ones comparable with paid at this point? Nova is the highest rated on the Google store of the suggestions in the OP, but that could just be people rating it higher because they paid and don't want to admit it's the same thing as the free poo poo.

It's survey money so it's essentially free. Buy Nova.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

jyrka posted:

Sorry, what does "a news reader for Feedly" mean? Isn't Feedly already a news reader?

There's Feedly the app that's a viewer and Feedly the RSS service that you can use with other RSS readers. I use Feedly but view it in gReader on my phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

I have that option enabled, but I dont like the interface and as I said, creating playlists is tedious, I cant seem to find any way to multi select meaning I have to long press on each song and then add

Obviously you could simply create playlists using the web interface.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Squish posted:

Is there a decent PC suite app that's not overly expensive, or better, free? I saw one that was $40USD and claims to be a complete management suite - but it's too pricey. I've been using Nokia PC suite for literally a decade, and I would like to find something that matches its behaviour for android. Ie. send/backup/store SMS, and manage calendars.

I suppose really it's just a matter of copying SMS back to the PC after all's said and done, because I can do most of the other things with inbuilt utils. Pushbullet has a monthly subscription - they can shove that. Anything that copies my communication to big brother's servers is a dealbreaker.

What you want is Join for SMS and notification mirroring and SMS Backup+. The latter will automatically move all your SMSs to GMail under a label so they're completely threaded and searchable with no user intervention at all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

I was about to suggest smsbackup+ myself, but big brother blah blah deal breaker apparently

Oh didn't get that far down in the message but I'm assuming the guy knows that not only are all of his SMSs archived by the carrier but they're turned over without a warrant to the authorities so he's just being stupid.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I have no idea why Android has the reputation of being the platform of choice for the impoverished.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Geektox posted:

Cool let's have this discussion again like there's an good argument to be made for not paying someone for their work that you use and enjoy.

Exactly the reason it should be called out. If you're too cheap to pay a buck or two for something you use every day, you're a lovely person who deserves to be publicly shamed. Particularly when you factor in the fact that it's trivial to have virtually unlimited funds for such things.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

Contacts: use Google Contacts, or any other synced contacts service for this.

While your answer is completely the right one, dude is scared of the cloud. He is a spy being actively pursued by multiple state actors.

Not true. It doesn't store any information on the PC side. Furthermore it also passes all SMSs through a third party (*gasp*) cloud. All it does is allow for remote access and use of the SMS store on the Android device by passing it through Drive and GCM.

Squish, the thing you're trying to do is not only not possible, it's actively prevented by the security model. I'm pretty sure you can put your contacts on the SIM somehow (don't do this, use Google Contacts) but there isn't a way to export your SMSs in a readable format that I'm aware of besides that SMS Backup+ app I mentioned earlier which moves them to your GMail regularly. As I also mentioned, there's no reason to worry about trying to keep SMSs from prying eyes either because, duh, SMSs are passed along unencrypted on the carrier's systems and they provide that data to anyone who asks for it.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 21, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Squish posted:

Aren't you the last bit uncomfortable about your personal information and conversations being stored and kept by companies, probably indefinitely, without any scrutiny or oversight? I get that phone companies are hardly any better than google but at least there are tighter regulations in place for telcos than others. The best way to prevent abuse is to not let them get that data in the first place. The tinfoil hat takes care of the rest.

You're using a Google-made operating system designed specifically for the purpose of hoovering up your data for Google's perusal. No offense (and I'm serious) but if you want your phone's data secured from even the wandering eye of the phone's manufacturer, you should be using an iPhone.

For Android to work, really at all, you need to make full use of the cloud. It's not ideal, especially for those with spotty or extremely limited data connections, but it is the concept around which the entirety of the operating system is built and it works far, far better under those conditions. Can you fight that? Yes. Should you? No.

As for my personal feelings on Google knowing my life, well, I've found that being so far up Google's rear end that I can give an accurate description of their large intestine to be positively sublime. Maybe it's because I run uBlock on all my computers, work and home, and AdAway on my phone, but I've had nothing but benefits to Google knowing and sharing my locations with loved ones, with Google managing my schedule, with Google using my web searches, apps, and RSS feeds to feed me relevant data via Google Now. Is it creepy? Yes, it is. Is it useful? GOD YES. So much so that I genuinely would have a much more difficult time just doing day to day stuff if it were absent. I don't feel like I'm being screwed on the deal.

I can understand not wanting to do it in concept but in practice it's a losing battle and it actively makes things far more difficult than they either need to be nor should be. When traffic is heavy on my usual route to work and Google sends out an alert with both enough time to get ready AND route around the backup that's a tangible benefit that wouldn't be possible without them knowing where I live and where I work, my usual route, my work hours, my usual sleep time, and my usual departure time. And guess what? No traffic and I'm not late for work.

Squish posted:

That was funny though. :)

I aim to please.

Squish posted:

Odd, because it seems that generally apps are able to access that information. What's to stop them reading the sms info on one hand and sending it via WiFi etc independently? I mean that sms backup app saves the whole shebang as an xml file.

I guess nothing's stopping them but no one does it. Obviously there are apps that export SMS to a local XML file like SMS Backup & Restore, but they aren't for general reading/searching but for backing up and restoring. The thing you want is a security problem for the reason you'd expect, you don't want that data just available to any computer that connects so you have to manage the SMS store and it's far, far more hassle than any person would want to deal with. (Namely does it append or just dump the store? SMS B&R dumps the store and not in a human readable format.)

What you want if you want to archive and be able to search your SMSs is SMS Backup+ but again that's giving data to Google.

I'm not trying to talk you into anything you don't want to do but I am trying to say that the windmill you're tilting at isn't going to lose this war in the longer term and you may find that the benefits (namely, perpetual and secure backups of your data in a location that is safe and redundant) outweigh the perceived negatives. As Blitter rightly points out, Google is likely a more trustworthy steward of your data than you, especially when it comes to SMS. If you're really concerned, use a medium like WhatsApp that's encrypted end-to-end meaning the cloud can't hurt you.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

What app would I use to send youtube and netflix and hulu URLs to an android or iOS tablet?

I use Join to send things between Android devices and computers but I don't know what things people use on iOS to do things.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

OK just to clarify, this is the join by joaoapps, not the one by logmein?

Yes, Join by Joaoapps.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tvgm2 posted:

It is possible to block ads without root by using a VPN controlled by an app. I've been using AdGuard with great success. Of course it costs money, but they are currently having a sale until the 4th.

I'm not sure I'd trust routing all my traffic through a third party.

Mogomra posted:

This is really nice so far. The cursor gestures are great. Might finally make me give up Swype.

It added two things that have kept me on Swype, namely symbols on the keys accessible via longpress and quick access to the number pad. My only other pet Swype feature is swiping above the keyboard to capitalize but given that Swype is two emoji versions back I think I'm going to switch now.

I kind of miss the word suggestion hovering where you're swiping (that was so much easier to see than the suggestion bar) but now it's so good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mogomra posted:

"Have you ever, or do you plan to forage for truffles?"

Y/N

Wasn't it "White truffles, black truffles, both, neither"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yeah, so I just uninstalled that. The app is so weirdly full of adware now. Is there a go-to file explorer that supports SFTP/SMB etc?

I've always been a fan of Explorer and Root Explorer.