Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Reverse X Reverse

RevXRev is a Japanese indie title featuring two inseparable animes on their journey to debug an MMOrpg. I think. I can't read Japanese. But, I can play the game just fine. And the gameplay is equal parts platformer/puzzle, to the surprise of very few. It has some pretty interesting mechanics, though, fooling around with gravity, a synchronized "link" that allows you to control both characters at once, and just plain fun design. The LP will be subtitled, because this isn't the kind of game someone really needs to yap over.

Videos

World One

World Two

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I can read the Japanese more easily than your subtitles - and even if they were legible, they distract from the action. If I'm watching the game, I don't even notice that your subtitle has appeared until it's gone, and if I read the subtitles, I have no idea what's going on in your game.

The pink girl's name is "Rhythm" and the blue girl's name is "Code", for what it's worth.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Nidoking posted:

I can read the Japanese more easily than your subtitles - and even if they were legible, they distract from the action. If I'm watching the game, I don't even notice that your subtitle has appeared until it's gone, and if I read the subtitles, I have no idea what's going on in your game.

The pink girl's name is "Rhythm" and the blue girl's name is "Code", for what it's worth.

I had watched the video a few times to see if the subtitles came out legibly, but I wrote them so that's a bit under-tested! Was it the color, or something else about the text? I thought the blue outline would help make it easier to read.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 17, 2015

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I had watched the video a few times to see if the subtitles came out legibly, but I wrote them so that's a bit under-tested! Was it the color, or something else about the text? I thought the blue outline would help make it easier to read.

There's almost no contrast between the outline and the text, so it doesn't help - it kind of stifles the actual characters, if that makes any sense. And there's too much action happening on the screen for me to look away and read subtitles, whatever color they are. And those are THICK outlines, too.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Nidoking posted:

There's almost no contrast between the outline and the text, so it doesn't help - it kind of stifles the actual characters, if that makes any sense. And there's too much action happening on the screen for me to look away and read subtitles, whatever color they are. And those are THICK outlines, too.

I've been editing the second video and trying to make sure they're placed so there's time to both read what's been written and still see what it refers to. I've also been told I read unusually fast sometimes, though.

Either way, there's no quitting something I've started, so I'll find a way to make it work.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Having gotten help from third parties, I am certain the subtitles in the next video will be easier to read. Woo!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

World Two

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Much better - I had no trouble following the subtitles and the action this time around.

And I think I misread/misheard the blue girl's name. Given the musical theme and the long "o" sound, I think it's meant to be "Chord" rather than "Code". Sorry about that - the latter name made more immediate sense to me in the initial context of debugging a game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Nidoking posted:

Much better - I had no trouble following the subtitles and the action this time around.

And I think I misread/misheard the blue girl's name. Given the musical theme and the long "o" sound, I think it's meant to be "Chord" rather than "Code". Sorry about that - the latter name made more immediate sense to me in the initial context of debugging a game.

Woo! Thank you for your feedback!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Having looked up more about the game, it appears the Blue one is actually named Code after all.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This looks like a fun and neat platformer, but holy poo poo the voice acting. Desu desuuu~

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kajeesus posted:

This looks like a fun and neat platformer, but holy poo poo the voice acting. Desu desuuu~

They repeat the same lines throughout the whole gameplay, so it can wear a bit thin.

Nice choice of avatar.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Is this MariAri, because it looks like MariAri, and that other kappa touhou game

I'd recognize those loving ! Blocks anywhere

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

HenryEx posted:

Is this MariAri, because it looks like MariAri, and that other kappa touhou game

I'd recognize those loving ! Blocks anywhere

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Desunoya

Same developer. Reverse X Reverse is an original IP though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ReverseXReverse is now available in English on Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/413580

I will be re-recording and re-editing the game for the English release eventually, so consider this thread on hiatus. Apologies, I did not foresee this turn of events!

• Locked thread