Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Constant Hamprince posted:

George III - King of Great Britain, Ireland and Hanover: A devoted family man who has dedicated his life to security and wellbeing of his country and to carrying out the will of the democratically elected parliament in the face of treasonous aristocrats who think they're too good to pay taxes. He is also staunchly in favour of upholding the nation's commitment to Native Americans.

George Washington: A militarily unsuccessful but wealthy former British general who has surrounded himself with ivory tower intellectuals and allied himself with France's absolute monarchy against his own country in order to avoid paying his fair share in taxes and because its leaders wouldn't let him commit genocide against the Natives. Also, he owns slaves.

I think you guys can pick the best George from the two above.

Oh, so the second one.

Washington/Jay for the win. Strong central democracy, no room for mediocrity. I appreciate Jay's economic interests more than Adams's, even with the slavery issue.

This should be a really cool thread, QuoProQuid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer

oystertoadfish posted:

the founders were dumb shits who hated everything we pretend they loved

actually it might be more accurate to say they pretended to hate everything we pretend to love, but loved everything we pretend to hate. im not really gonna overthink this it sounds too good to revise

edit: just read that one page of that book and realize how deeply unable these people were to imagine the consequences of their constitutionally conventionary actions. and we like to pretend they had a 200+ year vision

I think that particularly among leftists there is an exaggeration of how little important actors in the revolutionary era actually cared about political ideals or good government. I've seen a lot of posts here (not this thread) implying that joining the Revolution was something rich people did to make mad ca$h and poor people really did not care. This is grossly exaggerated, just as a lot of traditional history grossly exaggerates patriotism and ideals among the populace. Many elites, including slave owners, did have some commitment to these ideals and despite the fact that many of them had disdain/panic over the ~masses~ (not unlike many posters' concerns about stupid flyover country Republicans), many also hoped that after some time people would be ready. I don't agree overall, but the idea that people need to be "prepared" for democracy and that mass voting that doesn't lead to an unstable government can only take place under certain conditions is not exactly something that has died.

Basically it's like people read dumb textbooks in high school, then discover Zinn and are like "whoa!", and then don't delve into primary documents because no one has time for that.

that's my story, you people are going to get that middle class monarchy lover Adams elected!

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer

foobardog posted:

Draft Thomas Paine!

I want a Paine/Adams team up so they can fight all day.

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe you all are turning to the Democratic-Republicans. Burr isn't going to do anything about slavery. Got to go with some people with proven, solid (if boring) ability to not be power mad. Washington/Adams.

• Locked thread