Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Adams/Jay for king and vice king

Yes, but make sure it's the right Adams - Sam Adams is who we need to make our country truly great. Closer ties with France, developing virtous citizens, and hopefully doing something to that peculiar institution at the prodding of his VP...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

JosefStalinator posted:

It's really amazing how revolutionary some of their ideas and applications were, and how effective ideas like the Supreme Court turned out to be, but the whole "what if the runner up is from a different faction" thing never seemed to cross their minds.

I got the impression it was specifically to try and avoid the formation of political parties (encouraging multiple different people from each "party" to run) while also empowering the largest group of "losers" instead of making them feel like they have no say in things at all, like a consolation prize. Also I think the VP was supposed to be more involved in Congress and policy? So it might have been yet another "checks and balances" type proposal where the runner up being a different "faction" might even have been intentional on the parts of those who did think of it.

It's not really a terrible idea in concept, but the execution is lacking and a good execution might not have been possible.

Alter Ego posted:

Without Jefferson we don't get the Louisiana Purchase and we probably get a continuation of the Alien and Sedition Acts (aka the PATRIOT Act before it was cool). Jefferson in '96.

Actually wouldn't anyone else have just jumped all over it without all the wishy-washiness?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Abner Cadaver II posted:

I'm surprised the Founders didn't go whole hog with their Roman Republic love and have two presidents with authority alternating between every day.

No, let's not half-rear end this, let's dial things up to 11. Every person who wins a state at all becomes president, but their power is directly related to the number of states they won.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

John Adams is clearly fixing these SA elections, no doubt about that, and I won't stand by and let it happen again, especially after the better Adams lost last time around.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ugh, much as I don't want to, I think I'm going with Jefferson/Jay this time around. I am not a huge fan of Jefferson's, but it seems the only way too stop us descending into tyranny and war with our once ally France.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

This new voting system is dumb, I want King/Clinton >:|

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Dec 13, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Was there anyone else notable running in this election that just didn't receive any electoral votes, or was this really all there was?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So one thing that's a big deal in the modern day political equation is primaries. In a way, primary's have become the "real" election between all of the actual US voting blocks, with the general being something of a run off between the two chosen coalitions. In some elections this has obviously mattered more than others.

When did primaries start being a thing? Previous to this we obviously had a number of people running, but it feels like it's gonna be 1v1 for Presidents from here on out, but especially once we get into recent history there's gonna be some people that would have had a real chance of winning if they'd been voted for in the primaries. Are we just gonna ignore that and stick to generals or what?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I blame this, all of this, on John Adams.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I'm confused - why is there no Monroe/Langdon? Wasn't he "unwillingly recruited" by Monroe?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Why couldn't we have elected Paine as President For Life?

He's the only guy involved in this whole "brand new country" business that seemed to be a genuinely good person.

Oh wait, answered my own question there.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Lee's the one, I like the look of him.

Why is he not an option in the poll???

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

yo, gently caress freemasons

Accomplish this by voting for the freemason.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I love this thread.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

quote:

Has advocated on the behalf of slaveowners, claiming that slavery and indentured servitude in the Midwest would make it a more attractive location for settlement. The only issues that he believes should be nationalized is the prohibition on Freemasonry. Harrison believes the institution to be a “moral and political evil,” with its members serving dark and unknown purposes.

Freemasons are evil, but slavery is good.

That's, uh...quite a guy there.

On the other hand, Birney actually seems pretty terrible and I am pretty sure he would lose the inevitable civil war, and that the mass deportations probably wouldn't go well...

God drat this thread is better than my history class was.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

This thread has literally been a more educational history experience than my years of US history class, including AP US History.

Why is the state of history education so bad? Why is this thread so good?

Unsurprisingly, these questions have lead me to vote for the abolitionist. Burn it all down.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

:birnget:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I would actually be cool with most of these guys winning, I think this may be an actual first for american elections.

It's pretty cool.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

oystertoadfish posted:

i'm glad we won't be voting for pierce because, even if it wouldn't save his son's life, at least he and his wife won't convince themselves that god killed him so pierce wouldn't have any distractions as president

19th century coping was some crazy poo poo

Holy poo poo. This guy seems to win for the most miserable presidency ever.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You gotta write out the text I can't read this crazy writing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I am really excited, when we get into the late 60s, to see if anti-Oddfellowism replaces anti-Freemasonry as the elite boogeymen, since there was a string of like four presidents in a row who were Oddfellows.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 14:02 on Mar 23, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Nckdictator posted:

https://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/

The Campaign Trail's been updated with 1860, 1916, 1976, and 2016 (!?) if anyone wants to try their hand.

Played a Trump that once nominated basically said "Screw the conservative establishment, screw the democratic establishment, I want to help the little people and keep them safe from the dangers abroad and our own corrupt politicians" and turned basically the entire country red except California and New England. Landslide victory.

Mind you, the two terrorist attacks in Europe seemed to help a lot.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The fact that this wasn't a race between Greeley and Black in real life is a testament is to how terrible past Americans were.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Grant is great in theory but we have now seen how he works in practice. Based on what we have seen of his supreme incompetence so far, how can anyone in good conscience vote for the man a second time?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

What this thread has taught me was that Grant was one of the shittiest US Presidents in a long line of US Presidents. I can't believe you assholes voted this crook in for a second term.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Why is Harrison rated poorly? He seems pretty great.

He was the first decent, responsible, level-headed president we had in a while, with fair political stances including the protection of rights for African Americans and Indians, the promotion of public education, and effective opposition to corruption.

He oversaw a reliable economy and effectively used his government surplus to improve the country. He invested in infrastructure, made us the naval superpower that sowed the seeds of our future success, and made huge strides in terms of foreign policy and increasing the status of the country abroad.

He increased the size of the country, bringing six full states into the Union, pioneered national forest reserves, and passed the Sherman Anti-Trust act to protect people from abuse at the hands of non-competitive corporate monopolies.

What exactly did he do so wrong to get rated below the self-destructive assholes the country seems so keen on electing to office for multiple terms? I don't understand.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Jun 6, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Serious reply: people confuse Harrison with his grandfather.

Well... uh... I guess that's understandable, actually. His grandfather was pretty terrible.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

Benjamin Harrison never won the popular vote. His attempts at reform were constantly stymied. He had no discernible personality. And he presided over no great crises or historical events.

Benjamin is not remembered as a bad president. He's barely remembered at all, which is why he usually ranks in the lower-middle of the list with all the other Gilded Age presidents. He might have had great ambitions but he barely got the opportunity to address them.

Rasmussen has him as actively disliked, not just forgettable. Van Buren has better numbers than him.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I don't know, just did my best to look it up but found nothing except a ton more evidence of what an incompetent idiot Grant was. Nothing that indicates he treated his wife poorly or anything, that I can find.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 17:52 on Jun 10, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

UrbicaMortis posted:

I would have just jumped out of the way. Sure, everyone would give you poo poo about having no honour and jackson could clown on you for the rest of your life but at least you'd have a rest of your life.

This sort of person just turns down the dueling challenge to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Should we just have someone else take over the thread? We're so behind at this point that I'd be willing to bang out a few elections right quick. Wouldn't be nearly as good at them, but hey, we've still got a lot of history to go so...

• Locked thread