Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpRahl posted:

I think British support was less ideological and more practical they basically saw it as a opportunity to weaken the United States plus the South was a big trade partner for them. I think I remember reading that a lot of citizens in England had problems with their government unofficially supporting a slavery nation.

Along with what everyone said about support being an opinion of the elite, Britain never officially recognized the CSA's independence, signed any treaties, or exchanged ambassadors. The Union pointedly informed the Brits that supporting the rebels would be equivalent to declaring war on them, and they would risk hostilities in Canada and a loss of the United States as a trade partner if they tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This thread inspired me to look up the Adams family (heh) and I was pleased to discover that apparently it's still going strong with verifiable genealogy today. One of John Adams' great-grandsons was a Harvard football coach before he died in 1900 at the age of 37 from tuberculosis.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alcohol had a reputation as healthier than plain water, especially in urban areas before proper sanitation cleaned up the drinking water sources. It's not quite as bad as some rumors that pre-20th century people almost exclusively drank alcohol at every meal and during the working day because every water source was putrid and foul.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

:psyduck:

Like I want to call bullshit on this because it doesn't seem physically possible, but then again in another thread I just learned that "Gin Craze" was something you can google (TL;DR Britian discovers gin the entire lower class is drunk all the time from then on.) Kinda hypocritical, too, if you consider that in the Guinness book of World Records, while the book ( so to speak) is closed on consumption records, they do list the alcohol consumption of William Pitt the younger, British PM. Over the course of a year, he consumed: 574 bottles of claret, 854 bottles of maderia, and 2410 bottles of port.

Work those numbers out on a daily basis and it gets you a little drunk just looking at them

PS Parrot post awesome post

I got curious and actually did the math. That's 3838 bottles of wine in one year, or 10.5 bottles per day. That averages out to 0.6 bottles per hour (assuming he's awake for 16 hours and asleep for 8 every night instead of binge drinking, doing cocaine and snuff, and only sleeping two hours a night; using a 24 hour model, it's 0.4 bottles per hour).

A standard wine bottle is 750 ml. This gives us 2,878,500 milliliters of wine (or 2878.5 liters, or 760.41 gallons) per year. Assuming all wine is of these standard size bottles and every drop is drunk, he's drinking 7886.30 milliliters (or 7.88 liters, or 2 gallons) of wine per day.

Unfortunately I can't really estimate the amount of pure ethanol that is, because the three types of wine all have different average ABVs (in particular, port is fortified to be as high as 20% ABV or more while average wine is 12.5% to 14.5%). If we were to just make a blanket assumption that it's all 14% ABV, your average bottle of wine has 105 ml of alcohol in it. That gives us 402,990 ml of pure ethanol per year (or 402.99 liters, or 106.45 gallons). This would work out to 1102 or 1104 ml of ethanol per day (depends on how you round it). That's 1.10 liters, or 0.29 gallons.

The actual amount of pure ethanol is likely higher because port is a fortified wine, but the dude was consuming at least 1 liter of pure ethanol per day. At that rate, you may as well skip the middleman and just find a chemist to give you the unadulterated stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

This sort of person just turns down the dueling challenge to begin with

Yeah, dueling was a loving stupid part of society at the time that rich folk just kinda went along with because maintaining reputation was the end-all and be-all for them. I think society may have also been a little more fatalistic in the past than it is today, seeing as how sudden illness or infection could kill a healthy young man for no good reason and lovely medical care did more harm than good for a lot of people. If you're going to die at 45, may as well be defending your honor instead of consumption.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The article itself actually has some text that explain where some of the bizarre choices come from. Apparently the first leap from 1893 is men's fashion emulating women's fashion to an exaggerated degree. It also mentions that after so many years of being pent-up in fashion with crisp black and gray Victorian outfits, society uses fashion as a release and embraces wild color combinations and bizarre extravagance. It's a neat look at the feelings of the author toward contemporary society and fashion, which seem to be expressed through this writing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Corek posted:

Here's another famous prediction article where a lot was scarily right on the money, but a lot was not.

This is really ripe fodder for an RPG setting or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Corek posted:

gently caress steampunk

It's not even steampunk! According to the author, everything is running on electric motors to the point where coal is almost totally out of use and houses no longer have chimneys.

It feels a lot more interesting than typical steampunk and dieselpunk settings, since you've got such a weird mixture of things like electric ekranoplans that dive underwater to avoid storms and take "only 2 days" to cross the Atlantic and pedestrian-only ground levels in cities, but airships instead of airplanes. And apparently electricity is a miracle substance that makes plants grow faster and larger, and you turn on spigots to control your HVAC by mixing hot and cold air.

• Locked thread