Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Octatonic posted:

Quincy is like the lamest president, and the weak Adams line is a mere artifact of history. The only remainder of the once-proud legacy is a mid-tier beer company. I demand immaculate, anachronistic dynasties.

Speaking of that, he left out a non-presidential portion of said early american political dynasties: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Adams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Fellis posted:

Burr sounds like an old timey Trump. Maybe if the donald went and shot some other politician in a duel he would be more popular

E: also this thread is awesome

Didn't work out so well for Burr though.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Thump! posted:

To be fair, none of us would be allowed to vote were we alive back then. Surprise surprise, poor people from the 21st century know how much of a shitfucking loon states rights are.

Also we're all against slavery, for some weird reason.

As a not-poor white man from Boston I probably had a decent chance of being able to vote. And being anti-slavery would make me fit right in with my preferred candidate so far of Adams :colbert:

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
John Adams will continue to dominate these elections until he no longer runs...which will be fairly soon. We're going to need to take a break from the Adams clan for a couple of a elections too, which is pretty sad.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
Goddamn these elections suck.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
Rufus King all the way baby!

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
I no longer am Federalist until I die :(

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
Wait, so DeWitt Clinton finished a massive government project ahead of schedule and under budget...and also basically single handedly orchestrated the Missouri compromise apparently? What a boss.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

DeWitt ran the Erie Canal project well, but a good portion of its success was the result of factors beyond his control. The Panic of 1819 was a spectacular boon for the canal and Clinton's personal career.

DeWitt Clinton's role in the latter is disputed, but Jefferson and his supporters were convinced that Clinton was the real power behind the lame duck freshman congressman who tried to prevent Missouri's admission. When Tallmadge received a convenient promotion to Lieutenant-Governor of New York a few years later, Jefferson's account was accepted as the gospel truth within the Democratic-Republican Party. For what it's worth, Clinton milked Tallmadge for all he was worth when the Amendment proved popular in the North.

Just throwing out there, once more, that this thread is fantastic and extremely interesting.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I wish you could vote for JQA + Nathan Sanford. As an Australian my knowledge of american history begins in 1861, I had now idea of how much a terrible person Andrew Jackson is.

Good thing we put him on our money for some reason.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

putting jackson on the twenty is the greatest historical troll of all time and i salute whoever came up with it all those decades ago

He was also on (at various times) the $5, the $10, the $50, the $10,000 and the Confederate $1,000. Because lol.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Proposition Joe posted:

I support this idea of making up Presidential candidates from Massachusetts, to ensure we always have one.

Easiest way to win my vote.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
Dear lord...another terrible election. I can't wait to vote to start the civil war.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

CuwiKhons posted:

Can I just vote for Alexander Hamilton's corpse? I feel like it'd be more useful than any of these idiots.

...we said for every election ever.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure that a Birney election would cause a civil war, both among the states and within the abolitionist movement.

Ibogaine posted:

Birney seems to be the man for you then. He even wants Mexico to take of the kids gloves when dealing with the seditious scum in Texas.

Looks like I made the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

They've sent several notices to Washington about their secession but they keep getting lost in the mail.

I think it's because we've erased history immediately after each election. They can't remember why they were mad exactly and just throw the letter in a fire because no one knows what they were talking about, and assumes they were drunk when they wrote it.

At least that's how I sees it.

• Locked thread