Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Ralp posted:

It's really cool and it's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind when I made this forum

You didn't build that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

The Tao Jones posted:

Jay/Adams '89

States' Rights my rear end, we're gonna nip the civil war in the bud

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Platystemon posted:

I think that everyone in this thread should have to submit documentation that they are white, male landholders.

And citizens.

And literate.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

hahaha holy poo poo, for elections from 1868 to 1964, everyone should have to take a test like this and pass it to get a password so they can log in to vote

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Ali Alkali posted:

They are all members of this forum.

But can they prove they're members? We need a long-form receipt showing purchase of membership.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

The Lord of Hats posted:

John Adams/John Jay. Federalist Party 4 Lyfe.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

karmicknight posted:

A thing to remember about James Monroe (the loser who won this shitheap of an election and the farcical comedy of the election of 1820) and JQA (Monroe's Secretary of State and future Elective Majesty President) was that the Monroe doctrine was entirely serious when they made it. From the perspective of the US at this time, they were the premier player on the Americas. However, internal tensions, religious zeal, expansionism and loving Texans are a big part of the American identity for this period (Era of Good Feelings to the start of the Civil War). With this election, Jackson hasn't made politics an issue the common man thinks about yet so we're still dealing with times where an endorsement can come from a political enemy because the other option has no beliefs.

Voted Monroe

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'd say the rep as a major power was solidified between this time and the end of the Spanish-American war.

I think the end of the civil war is a useful point at least as far as discussing it, but if you want to argue the Spanish-American war, I wouldn't really fight you over it. the 1860s-1890s was the period when the US industrialized (especially in the north) and developed the necessary global reach, particularly in the Pacific Ocean, to be on a par with the British/French/Dutch/Spanish/Portugese in global affairs - affirmed by the haul of land in the Spanish-American war. The US did not move beyond being 'one of' the great powers until 1944 at the earliest.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

SpRahl posted:

Pretty much the only reason to vote Jackson is fear that the fucker would rise from the grave and personally shoot you, because thats something he would do.

That's good enough for me. Vote Jackson to Make America Great For The First Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
JACKSON *slams down phone*

• Locked thread