Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It's Week 11. That usually means the playoff picture is starting to come into focus and we get a general idea of who will be going and who will be fighting for those wild card spots.

(Un)fortunately this year, most of the league is total garbage with a couple of not garbage teams and a couple other teams who some how have great records despite being pants-shittingly terrible in the last couple weeks.

So, here we are. No one has a playoff machine working and available yet, short of this github thing I found, so that's what we'll use.

Below are the filled out templates. I'll add a new one weekly for you to try to manipulate to figure out how you can somehow make the Jaguars the AFC South winner.

You have to copy the URL generated on the page, as the one in your address bar doesn't update with each pick

Week 11:
http://raylehnhoff.github.io/nflschedulepicker/?a=-WapWqmmlmamVppZmllqWqlqZVmqZVamWpaqapZaqaqmWllZVFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA_

#NFC
Rank | Team | W | L | T
-|-|-:|-:|-:|
1| CAR |9|0|0|
2| ARI |7|2|0|
3| MIN |7|2|0|
4| NYG |5|5|0|
5| GB |6|3|0|
6| ATL |6|3|0|

#AFC
Rank | Team | W | L | T
1| NE |9|0|0|
2| CIN |8|1|0|
3| DEN |7|2|0|
4| IND |4|5|0|
5| PIT |6|4|0|
6| BUF |5|4|0|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Current standings:

AFC:
1. Patriots (9-0)
2. Bengals (8-1)
3. Broncos (7-2)
4. Colts (4-5)
5. Steelers (6-4)
6. Bills (5-4)
7. Jets (5-4)
8. Chiefs (4-5)
9. Raiders (4-5)
10. Dolphins (4-5)
11. Texans (4-5)
12. Jaguars (3-6)

The Bills - Jets knife fight is really interesting, as is seeing if the Chiefs will somehow actually overtake the Broncos or even the wildcard, which would be baffling.

NFC:
1. Panthers (9-0)
2. Cardinals (7-2)
3. Vikings (7-2)
4. Giants (5-5)
5. Packers (6-3)
6. Falcons (6-3)
7. Washington (4-5)
8. Buccaneers (4-5)
9. Rams (4-5)
10. Seahawks (4-5)
11. Eagles (4-5)
12. Bears (4-5)
13. Saints (4-6)

No, really, Washington and Tampa Bay are the two teams just out of the playoffs right now in the NFC. Just how bad would the Falcons/Packers have to be to miss the playoffs to that motley crew at 4-5?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My picks.

NFC

1: CAR 14-2-0
2: AZ 11-5-0
3: MIN 10-6-0
4: NYG 9-7-0
5: ATL 11-5-0
6: SEA 10-6-0

AFC

1: NE 15-1-0
2: CIN 14-2-0
3: KC 9-7-0
4: IND 9-7-0
5: BUF 10-6-0
6: MIA 10-6-0

I made some loving reaches and I still couldn't get the Raiders into the wildcard, yet Buffalo got in, because I reckon they're going to be the dumb divisional game that the Pats have to lose because the Football Gods demand it.

Although with these picks, Raiders and Chiefs are tiebroken, just by the Chiefs beating the Raiders.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 17, 2015

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
A third of the league is 4-5 and less than 2 games out of a playoff spot.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

No, really, Washington and Tampa Bay are the two teams just out of the playoffs right now in the NFC. Just how bad would the Falcons/Packers have to be to miss the playoffs to that motley crew at 4-5?

It doesn't matter how bad they have to get, the Falcons will not disappoint (the Washington market).

The Falcons suck so much as right now, and barring a complete turn-around against the Colts this week, we could easily go 2-5 down the stretch and wind up 8-8.

I predict we lose to the Vikings and get double hosed by the Panthers, so that's 6-6 right there. After that, we have to manufacture 2 wins from the Colts, Buccs, Saints, and Jags JUST TO GET TO .500 ON THE SEASON!!!

We've proven we can lose to anyone on any Sunday, so I don't have any faith in being able to beat any team after the bye. All 4 of the above teams have their problems and are "winnable games." We could win them all, who knows, but we could also lose them all, because "Falcons" and "Problems" are basically interchangeable right now.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 17, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I think KC could overtake Denver, but the Raiders are in the same boat. Denver isn't safe at all in the AFC West (somehow), and if Brock Osweiler can't win one of their next two while PeyPey sits and heals (if he even gets another start), then I could easily see them dropping more division games down the stretch, along with the game to NE.

Doing my best to actually think about the outcome of each game, my current best guess is the following:

AFC:

1. Pats 14-2
2. Bengals 12-4
3. Kansas City 10-6
4. Texans 9-7
5. Steelers 10-6
6. Raiders 10-6

(not sure why it has KC as 3 and not Oakland, since I have them splitting the series. If Oakland got the division then KC would be 5 and Pittsburgh would be 6)
The main idea here is that Indy can't win enough without Luck down the stretch and Denver's defense isn't enough to keep them in games once they're spending 45 minutes a game on the field.

NFC:

1. Panthers 14-2
2. Cardinals 12-4
3. Vikings 11-5
4. Giants 9-7
5. Packers 10-6
6. Rams 9-7

Panthers drop a couple meaningless games, and Giants sneak in to kill the Pats in Superbowl 50, cementing Eli as the better Manning and driving that knife a little deeper into Peyton's back.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
While I think Denver is bad, even if Brock Osweiler is mediocre and can't do much, that's still more than Peyton has done all season.

AFC:
1. New England 16-0
2. Cincinnati 13-3
3. Denver 12-4
4. Indianapolis 7-9
5. Buffalo 10-6
6. Kansas City 9-7

The race is going to go right to the final week, with Pittsburgh and Oakland being in the hunt as well. New England can't lose a game until the promised time. Cincy is set up to get chumped by the Bills in the second round, leaving an all AFC East Championship game.

NFC:
1. Carolina 14-2
2. Minnesota 13-3
3. Arizona 11-5
4. New York Giants 9-7
5. St. Louis 10-6
6. Green Bay 9-7

I am probably significantly overrating the Rams here, but the Seahawks can't make the playoffs, and the Falcons just keep finding losing games on their schedule. Naturally the Giants take the NFC East en route to the super bowl, beating the Rams, the outmatched Vikings, and lastly the upstart Panthers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

10 weeks into the season the Jags are a game out of first and the Texans are tied for first

Who saw that coming

I say the Jags win the division since they've shown a propensity to win games they have no business winning

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
This is always my favorite part of the TFF season.

AFC:
1. Oakland Raiders (10-6)
2. Jacksonville Jaguars (10-6)
3. Buffalo Bills (10-6)
4. Cleveland Browns (8-8)
5. New York Jets (10-6)
6. Miami Dolphins (10-6)

NFC:
1. Minnesota Vikings (13-3)
2. St. Louis Rams (10-6)
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-7)
4. Philadelphia Eagles (9-7)
5. Chicago Bears (10-6)
6. Detroit Lions (9-7)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

AKMoose posted:

AFC:
3. Buffalo Bills (10-6)
5. New York Jets (10-6)
6. Miami Dolphins (10-6)

NFC:
2. St. Louis Rams (10-6)
5. Chicago Bears (10-6)
6. Detroit Lions (9-7)

I want to live in your world :smith:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
People are legitimately sleeping on the Redskins because, well, Redskins but they are better than people think. They have a good defense and Kirk actually isn't that bad, he just has Interception fits.

Whoever wins the NFCE is toast in round one so it doesn't matter

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Febreeze posted:

People are legitimately sleeping on the Redskins because, well, Redskins but they are better than people think. They have a good defense and Kirk actually isn't that bad, he just has Interception fits.

Whoever wins the NFCE is toast in round one so it doesn't matter

just like whoever won the NFC South last year was toast in the first round.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

AKMoose posted:

AFC:
3. Buffalo Bills (10-6)
5. New York Jets (10-6)
6. Miami Dolphins (10-6)

NFC:
2. St. Louis Rams (10-6)
5. Chicago Bears (10-6)
6. Detroit Lions (9-7)

a world in which a team starting 9-0 ends at 9-7 and misses the playoffs

the fact that this is possible is loving cool and scary

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

No Butt Stuff posted:

I don't know how fair that is considering the Panthers got to play the hallowed out shell of a rotten husk that was the Cardinals by that point

All 4 NFC East teams are very flawed. Giants have no defense and are making baffling time management decisions.
Eagles are a streaky team that doesn't make sense
Redskins are also streaky
Dallas honestly still has a chance at the division which really says it all

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 17, 2015

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

The Panthers only won the first round because the Cards literally ran out of healthy quarterbacks by the end of the season.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 17, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Panthers v Patriots would be fun just for how polar opposite the teams and fanbases are.

As long as the Panthers won.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Febreeze posted:

I don't know how fair that is considering the Panthers got to play the hallowed out shell of a rotten husk that was the Cardinals by that point

All 4 NFC East teams are very flawed. Giants have no defense and are making baffling time management decisions.
Eagles are a streaky team that doesn't make sense
Redskins are also streaky
Dallas honestly still has a chance at the division which really says it all

That's more my point. I could see them facing a team that's devastated by injury and just snuck into the playoffs afterwards. Like if that Pats lost Brady next week and finished the regular season without another win.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Super Bowl should be Vikings - Bengals imo

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The afc south winner will have a losing record and will win a playoff game. That is all

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I made something beautiful.

http://raylehnhoff.github.io/nflschedulepicker/?a=-WapWqmmlmamVppZmllqWqlqZVmqZVamWpaqapZaqqqmWllZVVZmqZWmVlmWZmmmaWmmmpZmllappqqZaqGWlaB_

# AFC East WLT Div
2 New England 13-3 4-2
5 Buffalo 11-5 4-2
6 NY Jets 11-5 3-3
Miami 9-7 1-5

# AFC North WLT Div
1 Cincinnati 14-2 5-1
Pittsburgh 8-7 1-4
Baltimore 7-9 4-2
Cleveland 2-13 1-4

# AFC South WLT Div
4 Tennessee 5-11 4-2
Indianapolis 5-11 4-2
Houston 5-11 3-3
Jacksonville 5-11 1-5

# AFC West WLT Div
3 Oakland 11-5 5-1
Denver 11-5 4-2
Kansas City 8-8 3-3
San Diego 2-14 0-6

# NFC East WLT Div
4 Philadelphia 7-9 3-3
NY Giants 7-9 3-3
Washington 7-9 3-3
Dallas 3-13 3-3

# NFC North WLT Div
3 Minnesota 11-5 5-1
5 Green Bay 10-6 4-2
Chicago 6-10 1-5
Detroit 3-13 2-4

# NFC South WLT Div
1 Carolina 15-1 5-1
6 New Orleans 10-6 3-3
Atlanta 10-6 2-4
Tampa Bay 6-10 2-4

# NFC West WLT Div
2 Arizona 11-5 3-3
St. Louis 9-7 6-0
Seattle 9-7 3-3
San Francisco 4-12 0-6

4-way tie for AFC South at 5-11 and a 3-way tie for NFC East at 7-9.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Ahh, a fellow playoff machine surrealist. Is there any way to preserve those clusterfucks AND knock the Pats out?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Not without ties or someone in the AFC South going past 5 wins.

Patriots still have the Texans and Titans coming up.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The Bengals

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Some predics

AFC

Patriots
Steelers
Broncos
Titans
Bengals
Raiders

NFC

Panthers
Cardinals
Vikings
Giants
Packers
Buccaneers

Titans over Bengals
Raiders over Broncos
Giants over Packers
Vikings over Buccaneers

Titans over Steelers
Patriots over Raiders
Cardinals over Vikings
Panthers over Giants

Patriots over Titans
Cardinals over Panthers

Cardinals over Patriots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdOQ5pCWiyI

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

SlipUp posted:

Some predics

AFC

Patriots
Steelers
Broncos
Titans
Bengals
Raiders

NFC

Panthers
Cardinals
Vikings
Giants
Packers
Buccaneers

Titans over Bengals
Raiders over Broncos
Giants over Packers
Vikings over Buccaneers

Titans over Steelers
Patriots over Raiders
Cardinals over Vikings
Panthers over Giants

Patriots over Titans
Cardinals over Panthers

Cardinals over Patriots

God that would be an emotional roller coaster of a winter

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Washington's remaining schedule is:

@CAR
NYG
DAL
@CHI
BUF
@PHI
@DAL

So 4 divisional games which could go either way (though Dallas having Romo back hurts), one almost assured loss (next week at Carolina), and two games against middling teams (@CHI and BUF).

My guess is that whoever wins the Washington vs. New York Giants game in Week 12 will win the division. Assuming Washington loses to Carolina, they will be 4-6 and the Giants will be 5-5. If Washington wins against the Giants, they will be tied at 5-6 and Washington will have the divisional tiebreaker. If the Giants win, the Giants will be 6-5 and have at least a 1 game lead over Philadelphia and a 2 game lead over Washington.

Dallas is 2-7 and too far out to win. They still have to play Carolina, at Green Bay (though GB is looking weaker and weaker at this point), Washington twice, the Jets, the Bills, etc. It's hard to see them going 6-1 or better down the stretch.

Philadelphia still has to play Arizona and at New England, and their QB situation is too uncertain. They could surprise and win it, but right now I think it's like 55% Giants, 35% Washington, 9% Eagles, 1% Cowboys. Thanks for reading.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

should be raiders over pats. in a blizzard. where thomas brady is finally destroyed in the same way he was created.

Mind_Taker posted:

Washington's remaining schedule is:

@CAR
NYG
DAL
@CHI
BUF
@PHI
@DAL

So 4 divisional games which could go either way (though Dallas having Romo back hurts), one almost assured loss (next week at Carolina), and two games against middling teams (@CHI and BUF).

My guess is that whoever wins the Washington vs. New York Giants game in Week 12 will win the division. Assuming Washington loses to Carolina, they will be 4-6 and the Giants will be 5-5. If Washington wins against the Giants, they will be tied at 5-6 and Washington will have the divisional tiebreaker. If the Giants win, the Giants will be 6-5 and have at least a 1 game lead over Philadelphia and a 2 game lead over Washington.

Dallas is 2-7 and too far out to win. They still have to play Carolina, at Green Bay (though GB is looking weaker and weaker at this point), Washington twice, the Jets, the Bills, etc. It's hard to see them going 6-1 or better down the stretch.

Philadelphia still has to play Arizona and at New England, and their QB situation is too uncertain. They could surprise and win it, but right now I think it's like 55% Giants, 35% Washington, 9% Eagles, 1% Cowboys. Thanks for reading.

this is a good piece of analysis, although i think you're underestimating philly. we get two very winnable games and play you guys at home in week 16, which i'm guessing we win.

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 17, 2015

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

axeil posted:

should be raiders over pats. in a blizzard. where thomas brady is finally destroyed in the same way he was created.

By charles woodson i see you're familiar with my fanfiction

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

By charles woodson i see you're familiar with my fanfiction

"throw him into the fire snow charles!"

"no" :smug:

but then the refs rule it was a fumble and tom bites off charles' finger

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

axeil posted:

sacked back into the dimension he came from

preferably by khalil mack because that dude looks like a pair of pillow case stuffed with broken bricks

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
This is about as awful I could make the NFL in 10 minutes

http://raylehnhoff.github.io/nflschedulepicker/?a=-WapWqmmlmamVppZmllqWqlqZVmqZVamWpaqapZaqaqmWllZVllZWWpVlapqpmZZVpWZVlWZaaqWpZVmpalWWWB_

#NFC

Rank | Team | W | L | T
1|[CAR]|9|7|0|
2|[GB]|9|7|0|
3|[DAL]|8|8|0|
4|[STL]|8|8|0|
5|[MIN]|9|7|0|
6|[SEA]|8|8|0|
#AFC

Rank | Team | W | L | T
1|[DEN]|9|7|0|
2|[NE]|9|7|0|
3|[HOU]|8|8|0|
4|[CLE]|8|8|0|
5|[BUF]|8|8|0|
6|[SD]|8|8|0|

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

you got so close to making the whole nfc 8-8...

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
In the Vikings 7 remaining games, they play Green Bay x2, @Atlanta, @Arizona, New York, Seattle and Chicago. The @Arizona game is the one I have the hardest time seeing them win because of both the quality of opponent and because they'll be on the road for TNF. @GB in Week 17 will also be a challenge unless the Packers complete fall part. Otherwise, every other game is winnable for Minnesota whether or not Bridgewater gets more consistent with his passing.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Blitz7x posted:

The way I look at it, Denver's QB situation being what it is, there's no way they snag the bye, but I doubt they get jumped by the AFCS winner. The AFCN runner up will snag the 1st wildcard. The #6 is between Oakland, KC, Miami, and Buffalo. If the Raiders make the playoffs, there's no doubt in my mind they will play the Broncos. I'm also dead certain the Pats get the #1.

Buckle the gently caress up. :madmax:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

SlipUp posted:

The way I look at it, Denver's QB situation being what it is, there's no way they snag the bye, but I doubt they get jumped by the AFCS winner. The AFCN runner up will snag the 1st wildcard. The #6 is between Oakland, KC, Miami, and Buffalo. If the Raiders make the playoffs, there's no doubt in my mind they will play the Broncos. I'm also dead certain the Pats get the #1.

Pretty much my read, except I would add the Jets having a chance at the 6 seed.

And, poo poo, I guess the Colts/Texans while we're at it.

So, uh, no idea, basically.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I might put the Jets over Miami but I don't have any faith in the AFCS. Raiders have the best QB of the rest with one of the best set of weapons. The ACFW is a less competitive division than the AFCE so Oakland should also have a better divisional record. I think they have the inside track.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

SlipUp posted:

Some predics

AFC

Patriots
Steelers
Broncos
Titans
Bengals
Raiders

NFC

Panthers
Cardinals
Vikings
Giants
Packers
Buccaneers

Titans over Bengals
Raiders over Broncos
Giants over Packers
Vikings over Buccaneers

Titans over Steelers
Patriots over Raiders
Cardinals over Vikings
Panthers over Giants

Patriots over Titans
Cardinals over Panthers

Cardinals over Patriots

I want to live in this universe

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

WHOOPS posted:

In the Vikings 7 remaining games, they play Green Bay x2, @Atlanta, @Arizona, New York, Seattle and Chicago. The @Arizona game is the one I have the hardest time seeing them win because of both the quality of opponent and because they'll be on the road for TNF. @GB in Week 17 will also be a challenge unless the Packers complete fall part. Otherwise, every other game is winnable for Minnesota whether or not Bridgewater gets more consistent with his passing.

12-4 is looking more and more like an absolutely real possibility.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah - with the way the defense and Peterson are playing, finishing the season 5-2 isn't out of the question. The only thing that gives me pause is that, well... it's the Vikings and consistency hasn't been a part of the playbook since the 90s. But I think Zimmer is doing everything right to create it and thus far the team is delivering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

To summarize everyone's choices: AFC is already set except the wildcard which is actually competitive, NFC is whatever old garbage limps through the gates.

• Locked thread