Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
My last dog was a Chihuahua/probably terrier (12 pounds was what the vet said was healthy for him, and he had a super high prey drive). Sweetest but most stubborn dog ever.

Unfortunately when we moved the woman who gave him to my husband agreed to watch him while we were moving and then grew reattached and refused to give him back. At least I can see him regularly.

Small dogs are awesome. I never liked em till I wound up with one, but after having one, they're great. The only thing that sucks, especially since Carlos had been 8 when I got him, is that people tolerate bad habits way more from little dogs than if a big dog tried pulling the same poo poo. It took the entire time I had him to break the worst of his habits. So people think little dogs are lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
She was the original owner, still has the papers, since I didn't give a gently caress about whether or not such a shining example of a Chihuahua that even had the vet thinking he's part terrier was "purebred" with papers. I got him chipped in my name, but it's not worth the drama to take it to court and argue. I love the little furball, but I'd wound up with him when the original owner was in a bad situation and now that she's stable, I feel bad just taking the dog back.

So instead I just get to see him when I want, everybody's happy, and the dog is...back to being so spoiled it's picked up all its bad habits again. The fuzzbucket has someone taking good care of him, and there's plenty of other dogs in the shelter that need any loving home. Getting into a pissing match with someone who only gave him up cause she left her abusive ex and couldn't take the dog with her seems counterproductive. I'd rather put that money and effort into giving a dog that doesn't have anyone to love it a home.

There's a really cute rat terrier in there now that I just have to talk my husband into...Just the initial outlay on small guys is nuts. Sincethe shelter knows people want them they're never neutered by the shelter, never have their shots, and cost 3x what the pit mixes do.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

pookel posted:

Around here they'll adopt out unfixed dogs but you have to agree to have them fixed. I don't know how enforceable that is.

Yeah. Small dogs have a higher demand, so they know they can get the future owner to foot the bill.

Vet priorities at the humane society are usually the ugliest dogs first to give them the most chance of being adopted. The better looking the dog the more you'll pay. An owner surrendered, housebroken, spayed small dog goes for as much at the humane society as pet store pups. (500).

• Locked thread