Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I've found threads for a lot of dog breeds and breed types here, but I see nothing for the little guys: Bichons, Chihuahuas, Shih Tzus, Maltese, Yorkies, etc. Can I get some pics/stories/info here?

Background: I'm planning to get a dog in about six months (current living situation won't allow it) so I'm putting my dog-obsession into internet research. For practical reasons, I want a small, easy, cuddly dog. I have two grade-school-age kids who are intimidated by big dogs, and I live in North Dakota, where I prefer not to go outside more than absolutely necessary for the 2-3 months when it's -20 degrees F outside with a foot or two of snow. I do have a big house, so a small dog could bounce around indoors, but I think a larger one would feel cooped up. I'm slightly allergic to some dogs, but haven't had a problem with my friend's dog who is a Bichon/Lhasa Apso/Pomeranian mix and doesn't shed. A non-shedding dog would be ideal.

Any advice on any of the smaller breeds would be great. Or just pics and discussion about these types of dogs. TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I'm not usually a big fan of small dogs but I've met a few havanese and they were all super fun little dogs. They were all smart, playful and not super yappy. A+ dogs would mop again.

Edit:
Chis are probably going to have a lot of issues with the cold unless you're willing to bundle them up and they definitely shed. Every pom I've met has been an utter douchebag and I'm not sure I would trust a lot of them around kids because they can be bitey little assholes.

I actually can't stand chihuahuas, it just seemed unfair to have a thread about small dogs and not mention them. And yeah, not a pom fan either. I have not met any havanese but they look adorable. I have spent some time around bichons and liked them a lot, but they seemed a bit bouncy and yappy.

This is more my sort of dog:

(Not a dog I know, just a random cute internet dog.)

Also, my 8-year-old is autistic and would probably do best with a dog who is warm, patient and friendly. (He is a good kid and knows how to treat animals gently, it isn't that - it's just that he doesn't quite know how to approach them, and might have a hard time getting close to a more standoffish dog.)

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

a life less posted:

I don't love when people opt to get small dogs because they don't, you know, plan to leave the house very often.
I get that, but it's just really drat hard to get out of the house in the middle of winter in this climate. I suppose if you live in Canada, you know what I mean. But I'd plan on getting outside with him/her whenever the weather allowed, which would be most days for 8-9 months of the year. I just don't want to be stuck inside for a week after a blizzard with a big, energetic dog who's going insane because I'm not taking him for walks twice a day.

quote:

I also don't much care for people intentionally breeding small dog mixes (or mixes in general). Normally it's just an excuse to charge $$$ in exchange for a dog that's poorly bred, sans health testing and without a reliable estimate as to its adult temperament.
Oh, God, yes. I do know about silly designer hybrids and backyard breeders and puppy mills and stupidly high prices. The thing is, those hybrids ARE popular and I'm mostly looking at shelter dogs, so I'm liable to end up with either one of them or a regular mutt, so I figure it's good to know something about a lot of different breeds.

quote:

The few Bichons I've met seem pretty sturdy and resilient. Chis are sensitive and anxious. Poms and Paps are likely more energy than you're looking for. Pugs are a heinous genetic mess, so I would avoid. I'd avoid short coated dogs due to climate concerns. Dogs with hair will need to be groomed and trimmed regularly, so factor that cost of upkeep into your figures while you budget for your pup. How small/large are you thinking? There's a big difference between a 3 pound Chi and a 15 pound scruffy terrier mix.
My perfect dog would weigh about 15-20 pounds, with no shedding and a sweet/cuddly disposition. I grew up around my grandparents' succession of badly trained, aggressive wire-hair fox terriers, and I pretty much want the opposite of that in terms of temperament. If it's a choice between a bigger calmer dog and a smaller neurotic dog, I would definitely get a bigger dog, but probably nothing over about 30 pounds. Say, small to medium. Beagle/cocker spaniel/bichon/Scotty size range (I know some of those don't have the temperament I'm looking for).

Oh, and if my boyfriend and I move in together, at some point, it would be sharing space with an elderly (very sweet and patient) St. Bernard. Don't know if that's in the works anytime soon, though.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
There aren't really any rescues in my town - just one standard no-kill shelter which mostly has labs and pit bulls. Would it be weird to look at rescues farther away? The closest I've found is about a three-hour drive. I don't mind driving to pick up a dog, but if they want a few visits first, that would be difficult.

Yes, I live in the middle of loving nowhere.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I think four different people have told me "havanese" now, but I've never even seen one. Are they rare? Or just rare up north?

Edit to add: I just saw this local listing. Is it just me or does this sound like an, uh, interesting mix? "The pups are 1/4 Jack Russell, 1/4 Chihuahua, 1/4 Pekingese and 1/4 Terrier. They will be small indoor dogs. "

pookel fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 18, 2015

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
D'awww, those flying ears on Ellie are great. I made friends with a tiny poodle a long time ago, when I volunteered at the animal shelter as a teenager. He'd been badly neglected and was terrified of everything, but he was so sweet once he warmed up to you. His name was Pierre. :3:

Cavaliers are on my list, but I've heard they can be really energetic/strong-willed, and might be bad for allergies. Is that accurate?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Mallory Ortberg of The Toast recently adopted a 10-year-old Cav named Murphy and has been tweeting a bunch of pictures of him, every one of which makes me want to find out where she lives and kidnap him:

I must have been confusing them with a different breed I was looking at (I've been reading obsessively) when I was thinking "high energy." Maybe it was the potential for shedding/allergens that I was concerned about.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
p.s. Requesting small dog pics in this thread, too.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'd best avoid them, then. :( It's not the time commitment or the fear of a dog dying young, it's just that I simply don't have that kind of money. I know you can't plan for everything that happens, but I want to at least try for a healthy dog, or one whose issues are known (and not so expensive).

Too bad - they really are beautiful.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
At the risk of getting crucified ....

OK, so in my scouring of local listings, I ran across a farm family that raises and sells a variety of small hybrid dogs. They also raise and sell horses and ponies. Their prices are around $400-$500 a dog, and they look healthy in pictures. They offer a guaranteed refund if a puppy is found to have a health problem. Their dogs are a variety of ridiculously named hybrids of Cavaliers, Lhasa Apsos, Bichons, and Shih Tzus, and are really adorable (of course).

If I were going to consider maybe thinking about looking at these dogs, what sorts of questions should I ask? Should I even consider it? I'd much rather get a shelter mutt, but I haven't seen very many that fit my specifications.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
You're right, and thanks for reminding me of all that. I know it, really - it's just hard to resist when they seem to be the only one in the state with my favorite breeds. I will limit myself to ogling the cute pictures, I think.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
So now that I swore up and down that there were no Havanese in North Dakota, someone a few hours away is selling two puppies, a boy and a girl. For $600 each and they sound pretty shady, and no. But they looked so cute in the ad.

Meanwhile, after suffering a barrage of cute small dog links from me, my large-breed-preferring boyfriend just told me he's thinking seriously about getting a Boston terrier. Which, if we moved in together, would mean we might eventually have one tiny dustmop, one bouncy small dog, and one gigantic put-upon doorstop. :3:

Re: terriers, I just read this in Wikipedia's description of Bostons: "Terrier only in name, the Boston Terrier has lost most of its ruthless desire for mayhem." This sounds like every terrier I've ever known except for Yorkies. I admit I haven't known any schnauzers, but I am very leery of terriers because of the mayhem potential. My children create enough mayhem already.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Yeah, I wouldn't prefer a Boston, but ... we don't live together and it'd be totally boyfriend's decision, so I don't really have input, anyway.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Terriers are sort of like 3-year-olds ... I love them, I love watching videos of them, I think they're hilarious ... but dear god, I don't want sole responsibility for one living in my house. I would happily play auntie to someone else's terrier, so I could spoil him and play with him and then send him home to the person who has to make sure he doesn't pee on the floor and chew up all the toys. I have two kids, dammit, I've done my time in the chewing-and-peeing-on-things trenches.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
True, but I'm actually dreaming about getting like a 2-year-old shelter dog, so ...

I have known some really chill Yorkies. I could handle a Yorkie.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Yeah, I run a daily search at the local humane society, the 4-5 rescues in the state that I've found online, a couple humane societies in other towns, and Craigslist and Craigslist equivalents.Basically everything in the state. All of that is maybe ... a couple dozen new dogs a day, mostly $500-$1000 Totally Legit Purebred or Fancy Hybrid puppies from sketchy sellers. And adult pit bulls languishing at the shelters.

I figure I managed to find a boyfriend out of an equally dismal dating pool in this region ... I'm sure something will eventually turn up on the dog front. But it might take a while.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
So we went to a shelter adoption event and ended up putting in an application for this little dude. He is about 1.5, healthy, neutered, 1/2 shih tzu, 1/2 Lhasa apso, friendly, good with kids, 28 lbs. He is bigger than he looks!

.... Pic to follow in a sec.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Here:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Well, he was an owner surrender and he answers to the name they gave him, which is Milo. I don't think I'd want to change it anyway - he looks like a Milo!

When they first let him out of the cage he jumped on me and it was like being attacked by a cuddly miniature sheep. All that fluffy white fur and a very solid mass of body underneath. :3:

They said 8 people applied to adopt him though, so I don't know what our chances are.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
So, he'd be living with my boyfriend for the time being. Boyfriend lives with his brother. They both like big dogs, and his brother is a marathon runner, and they'd been talking about getting a Vizsla. He had to check in with his brother about the idea of getting a mop dog instead. Apparently the cuteness won him over. :3:

Can't get much farther from "Viszla for a running companion" than Milo, I don't think.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
So I've been doing a bit of research and it looks like both shih tzus and lhasa apsos are normally under 20 lbs. Milo is, like I said, 28 lbs. The shelter people also told me that the owners who surrendered him lied about his age (said he was 3 but he was 18 months according to vet records) and also left him in the crate most of the day. What are the odds that he's just fat from sitting in the crate all day/getting overfed? Or is he likely to be just big for his breeds - or maybe he isn't really a straight shih tzu/lhasa mix? He's definitely chubby, but he's big, too, I think. When he jumped in my lap, he really felt like a solid medium-szed dog, not a little lap dog like the bichons I've been around.

I realize I may be overthinking a dog I have a 1 in 8 chance of getting, but he is SO FLUFFY.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'm pretty sure there's a vet checkup as part of the adoption process that's covered in the fees. I don't know how likely we are to get him, but I feel good about just meeting some dogs and having a better idea what I want. (I do like sweet little lap dogs, but I really enjoy somewhat bigger lap dogs, like the 25-30 lb range more than the toy dogs).

The shelter seems to be run pretty well. The application is 3 pages long and includes references, and they said they do call references including your current vet if you have any pets. So I feel good about the fact that if someone else gets him, they're probably a good family for him.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Milo went to someone else, hopefully a loving family full of kids and other dogs who will spoil him rotten.

Guess I'm back to staring at the listings, trying to remind myself that I really don't NEED a 9-year-old blind Lhasa Apso no matter how sweet she is. Nor a cairn terrier who can and will climb chain-link fences to escape the yard. No matter how cute they are.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I'm currently coveting these two fuzzy little mutts who are at a shelter a few hours' drive away:

One is bichon/terrier/something, the other is bichon/shih tzu/something, they are both about 7 years old, and they are lifetime bffs and the shelter will not allow them to be separated. They are housetrained and sweet and calm, and I have two kids who both love dogs, so I'm hoping each kid could bond more to one of the dogs.

It would be a couple months before I could get them, but just look at those sweet little faces.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I am attempting to adopt a Lhasa Apso from a shelter that's a few hours' drive from me. They responded to my application within hours and checked my references, and the next step is a home visit by, of all people, our former governor's daughter-in-law.

She - the dog, not the shelter lady - is black and white, four years old, spayed, housetrained, and comes with a restriction of "older/considerate kids only" which I assume means she's skittish or defensive around careless toddlers. My kids are 8 and 10 so I think that's OK. Maybe I shouldn't be planning ahead yet (before meeting her) but I'm thinking of naming her Princess Leia (and promoting her to General when she's older).

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
So, does anyone here have experience with Lhasa Apsos? Is it true that they "think they're big dogs" and like to be the boss? Any other advice?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Someone locally is trying to rehome their 4-month-old "shichonalier" puppy, which is a shih tzu/bichon/cavalier cross. Reason? Daughter got him for a Christmas present and just doesn't have enough time to spend with him.

The only hybrid name I can get behind is if you cross a bulldog and a shih tzu, you should get to call it a bullshit. (I once saw a video of someone's "bullshit," which looked like a very small, very derpy St. Bernard, something else I can get behind.)

In any case, yes the designer hybrids with their silly names are stupid, but I'll still jump at the chance to adopt one of those little dustmops if they turn up at the shelter and seem to have a sweet temperament. It's hard to find non-shedding lapdogs up here. It's all farm dogs, hunting dogs, and "I got this Australian shepherd puppy that was really cute but now he's tearing my stuff to shreds and I just don't have time for him." Oh, and pit bulls. Half the shelter dogs around here are pit bulls, and most of them have been there for a while. :(

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I am finally getting just the kind of dustmop dog I wanted ... a 7-year-old bichon/maltese female who was listed for free in the local classifieds. She is unspayed (!) but then her owner is a farmer, so that's unsurprising. She looks clean and taken care of in the photos, I think. She has been an indoor dog and is housetrained. He says his sister moved away and he doesn't have time for the dog since he works out of the house plus on the farm. He says she loves kids and playing fetch and is very friendly, and I'm driving out there on Saturday to pick her up.

I asked my kids what we should name her and they were like "Mom, she's 7. She already has a name. You can't change her name." I guess I can't argue with that, unless her name is terrible.

So, what all am I going to need? Kennel, carrier, collar, leash, yard stake + long chain since I don't have a fence, dog food, treats, toys? Plus ASAP vet visit, of course.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I GOT MY MOP DOG. Not the one I thought I was getting in the last post - that guy flaked out. The one I applied for months ago.

Her name is Beauty and she is 4 years old. She came from a rescue and the foster person told me she is a Lhasa Apso. People keep asking me if she's a Shih Tzu. I googled the breeds and found that it's kind of hard to tell them apart. She is a bit standoffish but seems to have adopted me as her person in less than 24 hours.She's not especially playful and likes to keep a watchful eye on the door and on anyone who's eating and might drop crumbs. She's distrustful of children. She is a delicate little thing - probably 10 pounds or less. She's an excellent dog.

Anyone have any ideas on the Shih Tzu vs. Lhasa thing? I realize she could be some kind of cross, too. Pics:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Stella sounds great. I love that pic of her snuggled up with the cat. :3:

Here's my Beauty (the kids didn't let me rename her) doing her "I'm a cat" bit with my boyfriend:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

The Light Eternal posted:

That's crazy... they adopt out dogs who are unfixed? Seems completely counter to the mission of reducing pet overpopulation.
Around here they'll adopt out unfixed dogs but you have to agree to have them fixed. I don't know how enforceable that is.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

AA is for Quitters posted:

Yeah. Small dogs have a higher demand, so they know they can get the future owner to foot the bill.

Vet priorities at the humane society are usually the ugliest dogs first to give them the most chance of being adopted. The better looking the dog the more you'll pay. An owner surrendered, housebroken, spayed small dog goes for as much at the humane society as pet store pups. (500).
Around here the shelters charge flat rates - it's just that the cute little dogs get snatched up ASAP. Although you never know - I spent $180 to adopt a cute, owner surrendered, housebroken, spayed Lhasa Apso (or Shih Tzu, who can tell the difference anyway) from a town three hours away. Other potential adopters hadn't gotten around to filling out paperwork, her foster person's parents lived in my town, and he just brought her along when he visited them. We adopted her the same day we met her.

I still don't know why no one else had already scooped her up. She is the best dog ever.

Evidence:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Beauty likes to sit in the most ridiculous positions and pretend to be comfortable:

But sometimes she sits in what my kid calls the I Am Noble Dog position:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Get a load of this guy. Cute as a button, dumb as a box of rocks.

D'awwwwww. :3: What breed(s) is he? I also have a dumb-but-cute pup. My theory is that all her brainpower goes to distinguishing familiar things from unfamiliar things ("that trash bag wasn't here on my walk yesterday! ALERT! BARK BARK BARK!") and acquiring food. After that, there's not much left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

thatbastardken posted:

yeah nah it's a bit of a tossup as to what traits you get with crossbred dogs. *doodles haven't got the quality control on their breeding to guarantee anything.
I think I've read that the original "goldendoodle" breeders were very careful about breeding for the desired traits rather than just mixing any old poodle + golden retriever pair, because they were (maybe still are?) raising them to be hypoallergenic service dogs. But yeah, I imagine what you see as *doodle in the US is not going to follow any kind of standard.

Miss Pickles is adorable. :3:

ETA: COntent, from a Facebook friend:

https://www.facebook.com/Vicki.Reid.780/videos/10155214242799095/

• Locked thread