Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Since you are looking at 15-20 pound dogs, a Cairn Terrier might be a good option. They're usually good with kids and are generally pretty sweet in general. I've loved all the ones I've met, really sweet while still keeping that terrier stubbornness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Craziness really depends on the breed of terrier, but they are generally pretty stubborn. I love the ones that I've been around, but I've mostly been around the more mellow ones. You're going to start out with a 3-year old that pees everywhere and chews up toys if you get a puppy either way.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

pookel posted:

So I've been doing a bit of research and it looks like both shih tzus and lhasa apsos are normally under 20 lbs. Milo is, like I said, 28 lbs. The shelter people also told me that the owners who surrendered him lied about his age (said he was 3 but he was 18 months according to vet records) and also left him in the crate most of the day. What are the odds that he's just fat from sitting in the crate all day/getting overfed? Or is he likely to be just big for his breeds - or maybe he isn't really a straight shih tzu/lhasa mix? He's definitely chubby, but he's big, too, I think. When he jumped in my lap, he really felt like a solid medium-szed dog, not a little lap dog like the bichons I've been around.

I realize I may be overthinking a dog I have a 1 in 8 chance of getting, but he is SO FLUFFY.

Some dog don't conform to breed standards and there are a lot of fat dogs out there. You'll want to take the dog in for a checkup after you get him anyway, and you might be required to get a rabies vaccination. Most of the vets in my town do this for free when you adopt from a local shelter, if you're lucky that may be the case for you as well. You'll want to be careful about his weight anyway, it's easy for dogs to get fat.

Also, not to jinx it, but don't be too heartbroken if you don't get him. You want a small young dog who is good with children and so does everyone else. It's a tough search.

• Locked thread