Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane.

Cythereal posted:

As I've been told, the main issue with Poms is that they're actually much closer to one of the primitive breeds in temperament - huskies and the like, and most people who get a Pom only think "tiny adorable dog," not "unusually smart dog not inclined to give a gently caress about you or what you want unless you give it a good reason."

We currently have two Poms in residence here (not mine). One is an orange sable girl that is owned by my friend who recently moved here from Ukraine. She has been raised since 4 months old with a very sensible Mini Schnauzer and multiple other breeds, large and small (my friend was a show handler/groomer in Ukraine). She was never allowed to develop the typical "Toy personality" and is actually a smart, nice little dog. She does show the manipulative tendencies and some temperament similarities to the other primitive Spitz breeds. However, the second Pom is a 6 month old white male that was sent here with the idea of finishing his AKC Championship and then being sent back to his owner/breeder. This dog was raised only around other Poms, with no discipline or training. I can easily say he is the stupidest dog I have ever seen in my entire life, and is really a danger to himself. He seems to lack even any instinct to survive and fits very nicely into the "tiny, adorable, completely dependent on humans" temperament. In my crash course introduction to Poms, I would say that it is highly variable as to what you may end up wtih depending on the bloodlines and how they are raised. The orange one is from American/UK lines, and the white is from Thai lines. They are both very affectionate and people oriented though. I've also been told by multiple Pom breeders that color is a big factor in personality and temperament, with the orange and orange sables being smarter and easier to live with than any of the other colors.

SolanaSkyes fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

You mean "high priced mutt," right? Cute, but a Morkie is not a breed.

quote:

So, does anyone here have experience with Lhasa Apsos? Is it true that they "think they're big dogs" and like to be the boss? Any other advice?

Yes, they're pretty much like that, and you need to be very careful of the lines you buy from, as temperament problems are a big issue with the breed.

SolanaSkyes fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 12, 2016

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

Any other Pomeranians here? Allow me to introduce our resident purse dog, Bonita!

SolanaSkyes
May 29, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

HAHAH it's like 90% hair!! I've never known a Pomeranian. Is their hair really soft, or is it wirery? How big is she? She looks about 1 pound of dog and 5 pounds of hair. So cute though!

She's about 5-6lbs, soft undercoat and slightly harsher top coat, typical Spitz breed coat type, I guess. She's not mine, but lives here with my friend that immigrated from Ukraine. I'd never liked a Toy breed until I met this one. She's really an awesome little dog.

• Locked thread