Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm pretty sure that Wastes would need a subtype, so I'm going with "fake."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Doesn't actually seem like it.

From the Comprehensive Rules (Battle for Zendikar (September 26, 2015))

The issue is that it just straight up doesn't solve the Barry's Land problem by not affecting Domain or anything.

Wouldn't that mean that without a basic land type, it won't have an intrinsic ability to tap for mana?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

So the diamond is now colorless and the numbers in circles are "generic?"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Does that mean that any land that produces colorless would be errata'd to use this diamond?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ramos posted:

I'm surprised no one is making a big deal about waste lands being printed in standard again.

Fuuuuuck, I even thought about that when I first saw the card.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm rereading Kozilek and I'm wondering if that first line of text actually works within the rules of the game.

Shouldn't it be worded "draw until you have seven" or something?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Why does Mirrorpool "T:♦" specifically if ♦ is just "pay me with colorless!"

♦ may be a new symbol that means "colorless."

So, older lands might get errata'd to have "T: ♦"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This isn't the kind of sweeping change they make in a small set to support at most two-dozen cards.

I agree with you, I'm just trying to make sense of this nonsense.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Duskfiend posted:

IIRC Oath of the Gatewatch prerelease is going to be Two-Headed Giant. My theory is that Diamond costs must be paid with waste mana from your Eldrazi buddy's mana pool. :ssh:

Your hypothesis is that they're printing an Eldrazi Mythic that will actually be literally unplayable in 99% of formats after the prerelease?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zoness posted:

Diamond mana is basically snow mana right? It's mana with a secondary attribute aside from color that depends on the source of said mana.

I mean like I'm not seeing how this is a problem aside from Diamond Faerie :haw:

Doubtful. Snow mana was specifically any mana (of any color) that was produced by a permanent with the supertype "snow."

Mirrorpool has no properties other than "land" and Wastes has no properties other than "basic land," so there's nothing to grant the diamond any additional properties.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You still haven't explained what the reminder text should be. "Use ♦ to cast ♦" doesn't seem necessary at all. If there's a rules update to change 1 to ♦ they aren't just going to randomly add reminder text to everything.

Uh, "spend only colorless mana on ♦" like Consume Spirit?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zoness posted:

as opposed to

I mean on cards with a lot of text they drop mana symbol reminders.

OFS mentioned this. It's the ONLY snow card that doesn't have reminder text.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

To be fair, before I actually learned the rules to Magic, I thought you needed literal mana. Like, a physical representation of what your lands added to your pool.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

No Shrapnel Blast?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Recess Rapist posted:

Before the full spoilers I called my LGS to preorder the full set of five, but they weren't sure how much stock they were getting, so I had to wait.
Then I saw the full spoiler and I couldn't summon any interest at all in buying even a single one of those decks.

I feel like I saved $150. Is this what it's like when you don't buy cards? It feels good. Does anyone read this thread who spends no money on Magic? How good does it feel?

Yes and no. I quit Magic (again) about 18 months ago and while I'm clearly off the wagon, I'm at the point where I only acquire cards for my Peasant Cube, which are super super cheap.

It feels pretty good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Barry Shitpeas posted:

In Coldsnap maybe, Ice Age only had snow-covered lands

Patently false.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Entropic posted:

The only thing Ice Age actually did with Snow was cards that cared whether you controlled snow lands or how many of them you had. Snow mana wasn't a thing. Snow creatures weren't a thing. (lol that Goblin Snowman isn't a Snow Creature) "Snow" wasn't even a supertype originally. Hell, "Legend" wasn't even a supertype back then. I don't think there even were supertypes then.

Right, snow mana wasn't a thing yet, but card keyed off of snow lands being slightly different from basics, which is what OFS was saying.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think you missed the joke, OFS.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Jenny Angel posted:

Gains vs. gets.

Weird, I read that a dozen times and still missed that.

I was mostly impressed that they used "until end of turn" instead of "this turn."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

JerryLee posted:

After watching my umpteenth pro cube draft video, I've come to realize that the cube gimmick I really want is a cube without blue in it.

Or at least one where the blue theme somehow avoids card draw and/or counterspells completely.

Submitted for your approval: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/1863

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Are there even Merfolk on Innistrad?

No creatures with the type "Merfolk" were printed in the Innistrad block, no.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

More cool (un)commons with offcolor flashback plz.

Alternately, print actual multicolor cards with flashback.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It has two keywords, one of which is evergreen.
Don't be disingenuous, Suspend is very unintuitive.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

So did Innistrad's werewolves, and every Bestow creature.

Not at common.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The common Werewolves from Innistrad had three lines of text for the transform ability and another line for the couple that had evergreen abilities.

I'm willing to believe there were common Werewolves with seven lines of text, but I'm not seeing any.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

You're only ever looking at one side at a time and the two sides are, fundamentally, the same ability. That's pretty different from seven lines of reminder text for a keyword.

I'll grant you that Bestow is pretty wordy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I don't get it.

Your loss.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

....huh. That's...a thing.

Were there only going to be 15 Expeditions in Oath? The enemy colored battlelands and 10 filterlands?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ShadeofBlue posted:

There's 20 expeditions in OTG, which is a strong indicator that there won't be any enemy colored Battle Lands, although there are a couple of 5 land cycles that potentially make sense to use as Expeditions (Scars lands and Future Sight lands).

Future Sight lands make zero sense since then we'd have two versions of Graven Cairns.

Lack of enemy colored battlelands makes the most sense, I guess.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

Have they ever made this kind of errata mid-block before?

It's not exactly the same, but they started coloring the expansion symbols in Exodus.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, the release of Sixth Edition right in the middle of Urza's block shook things up a ton.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

quote:

NAGLE!
I met someone from Wizards who worked on Kaijudo a year or so ago and we talked about Nagle. I voiced my issues and the guy listened and then he told me that Nagle sat down and drafted a new Kaijudo set once and rattled off a list of a commons the designer should consider adding. Nagle's basically a bottomless pit of potential design and that's pretty valuable to a group trying to design several hundred cards a year.

quote:

Split Second
Until this spell resolves, players cannot play spells or activate abilities. Triggered abilities still trigger.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

So, do Wastes only tap for DIAMOND mana? They doesn't tap for what we call "colorless" (2)BB right? For that you still need BB and 2 of any land except Wastes?

No, the diamond means colorless. The (2) is generic which means "any type of mana."

Edit: Wow, you guys are fast.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

No, I can't give you an example. Maybe I'm stupid and don't understand it like some others.

For example if I want to cast Kozilek, Butcher of Truth I need to pay (10) which can be UUUUUWWWWW or any combination of the 5 color lands that are available now.

If I want to cast Oath Kozileik I need (8) and DIAMOND/DIAMOND. I still need 10, so what's the point of introducing the new Wastes? What's the benefit or even the point?

Think about it this way. If you want to cast, say, Ob Nixilis, you need 3BB. That's two black and three of anything.

New Kozilek is 8♦♦. That means you need two colorless mana (from Wastes or a painland or something) and 8 of anything.

The point is taking colorless from a thing for artifacts and actually making it matter is a way that impacts the game as a whole.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It's starting to become clear now. So you can use 10 Wastes if you desire to cast New Kozy.

Right, or two Wastes, four islands and four plains.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

^^^^^: It's not a color!

It's still really stupid and hopefully it's a set only thing. (It won't be)

They would not print a new basic land and errata a bunch of cards just for a few cards in a small set. If ♦ is legit, it's going to be a part of the game.

Serious question: why do you think it's stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

stinkles1112 posted:

If new Kozilek just said in the text box "At least two mana used to cast Kozilek must be colorless" would that be a dumb mechanic? I don't think so, and it certainly doesn't fit the definition of 'parasitic'

I don't understand the criticism of this

It's new and therefore wrong and bad.

• Locked thread